New Interactive

Started by Trial_Master, July 29, 2009, 08:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

watt4

Quote from: watt4 on July 29, 2009, 11:04:03 AM
Quote from: Trial_Master on July 29, 2009, 11:02:51 AM
Quote from: Russell at IceTV on July 29, 2009, 10:52:29 AM
We're just now finishing the updates on the scheduling program, so please give the system a few minutes to get updated, and then you should see things looking better.  If not, feel free to post again.

Thanks,
Russell

Still no Gray Icons on iPhone and Mobile interfaces Russell.

All fixed now - Thanks IceTV

I get the gray icons on my mobile but now both SD and HD are recording at the same time.

All fixed now - Thanks IceTV

Trial_Master

Still not displaying for my devices

mtb

All my recordings seem to be appearing correctly on my laptop, both grey and red.

Very impressed by the changes which seem to answer most of my needs/desires.  Only outstanding item for me would be a more enhanced keyword search mechanism (reg. expr. or similar) but overall I think the changes are great.

Perhaps the only area I would pick up on would be the apparent inconsistancy between the Network element of the recording options and the Time/Channel filter on the TV Guide.  I just wonder if it might be better to align these a bit better by perhaps combining the network/channel components so that either can be selected e.g.

View/Select by Network
ABC
Nine
SBS
Seven
Ten
View/Select by Channel
ABC1
ABC2
ABC3
ABC HD
Nine
Nine HD
SBS ONE
SBS TWO
SBS HD
Seven
Seven HD
Ten
ONE
ONE HD

I appreciate that it make the combobox longer but that will happen as more channels con out anyway but, to me anyway, creates a more consistant interface and allows for greater choice.  I suspect this may not be easy to do as you will be storing the network and not the channel in the database but it's just a thought for a future enhancement.

Either way I love what you've done with the place(!) - the new program details on mouseover in particular is excellent.

Well done folks, keep up the good work.
Beyonwiz DP-P2, Epson EH-TW5500, Pioneer VSXLX52 & BDP-320, Screen Technics 100” screen, WD Live TV x2, 6Tb NAS (Linux)
Beyonwiz DP-S1, VIERA TH-42PA60A
HTC Desire (rooted) Froyo
Topfield 5000MP

Marc

Nice work. All a-ok here!

futzle

A question about "prefer" edge cases...

It's happened in the past that the same episode of the same show would be on at different times on the same night (say, 10.30 pm on the SD channel, and 11.30 pm on the HD channel).  What will record if I say "prefer HD" in this case?  Assume that I have left the other options set to reasonable values (First Runs And Repeats; Any Time).

I buy the argument that there is no "one correct way" of handling this situation.  I'm just curious to know which correct way IceTV has chosen.

prl

Quote from: futzle on July 29, 2009, 01:40:00 PM
A question about "prefer" edge cases...

It's happened in the past that the same episode of the same show would be on at different times on the same night (say, 10.30 pm on the SD channel, and 11.30 pm on the HD channel).  What will record if I say "prefer HD" in this case?  Assume that I have left the other options set to reasonable values (First Runs And Repeats; Any Time).

I buy the argument that there is no "one correct way" of handling this situation.  I'm just curious to know which correct way IceTV has chosen.

I thought that the "Limit - 1 per day, etc" setting was supposed to address problems like this. It's not clear just what it would do in the case you mention, and unfortunately, and unfortunately typically for IceTV, experiment is the only way to find out what it actually does. It has the information it needs to potentially do exactly the right thing (record just the preferred HD version), but who knows?

I guess you could force it by specifying the time, but that sort of misses the point of IceTV recordings.

Please IceTV, could you improve your documentation so that it's possible to find out just what your service is supposed to do!
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

Russell at IceTV

Quote from: mtb on July 29, 2009, 12:32:08 PM
All my recordings seem to be appearing correctly on my laptop, both grey and red.

Very impressed by the changes which seem to answer most of my needs/desires.  Only outstanding item for me would be a more enhanced keyword search mechanism (reg. expr. or similar) but overall I think the changes are great.

Good to hear.  Yes, we've talked about adding more power to searching, so that may be something we keep working on over time.

Perhaps the only area I would pick up on would be the apparent inconsistancy between the Network element of the recording options and the Time/Channel filter on the TV Guide.  I just wonder if it might be better to align these a bit better by perhaps combining the network/channel components so that either can be selected...

Yes, good suggestion.  I don't think adding the list of networks would make it too long, so we'll definitely look into that, thanks.

Either way I love what you've done with the place(!) - the new program details on mouseover in particular is excellent.

Well done folks, keep up the good work.

Great!  Thanks!

Russell

Russell at IceTV

Quote from: futzle on July 29, 2009, 01:40:00 PM
It's happened in the past that the same episode of the same show would be on at different times on the same night (say, 10.30 pm on the SD channel, and 11.30 pm on the HD channel).  What will record if I say "prefer HD" in this case?

At the moment the scheduling engine treats two shows the same only if they're in the same timeslot -- for example, two shows on at the same time, but one is SD and one is HD.  If they're on at different times, they'll be treated separately, and it'll schedule both of them for recording.

We've discussed changing it to know about series and episodes, so the case you mentioned would be handled better.  That kind of change could be done entirely on the server side, so maybe it'll be something we add in a future update.

Thanks,
Russell

melmac

Hi

In the old interactive if I typed movie in the search box it used to bring up all movies scheduled which was usually about 7 days worth this was a great feature as I could look through and pick out the ones I wanted to record. In the new Interactive I can't get the same thing to come up, only for a specific time period can we please have an All option or Rest of week option

Thanks

Mel

Trial_Master

Filter via Genre 'movie' in the drop down box.

Ah that only shows the current day. I'll keep mucking around and see what we can come up with.

Trial_Master

I just tried search box on Tv Guide, entered 'movie' I have movies for next 7 days, different times etc...

jsofikitis

Quick question. I have set a series record for NCIS, first runs and repeats, but when I look at My Upcoming Shows, it shows that NCIS next tuesday 4th of August is showing the grey icon. Ie series recording but this episode is not scheduled to be recorded.
Is that because its more than 5 days away? If my assumption is correct isn't the icon a bit misleading?

prl

Can anyone think of a use case for the "Limit" setting? The only thing that I record that it could apply to is the pair of Scrapheap Challenge episodes on ABC2 on Sunday mornings. But all I can say is that I only want one recorded, not which one, and the documentation doesn't tell me which one will actually get recorded. Just as well I want to record both.

It appears to me that it's a feature that's insufficiently powerful to be much use, and insufficiently documented to know in which circumstances it might be.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

prl

Quote from: jsofikitis on July 29, 2009, 03:09:24 PM
Quick question. I have set a series record for NCIS, first runs and repeats, but when I look at My Upcoming Shows, it shows that NCIS next tuesday 4th of August is showing the grey icon. Ie series recording but this episode is not scheduled to be recorded.
Is that because its more than 5 days away? If my assumption is correct isn't the icon a bit misleading?
No, "more than 5 days away" gives you a "queued" (donut) icon, which can be either red or grey. I had some of these grey icons inappropriately on some of my ABC timers, and I was able to fix it by changing "Pefer HD" to "Prefer SD" or ""Only SD", and then changing them back to "Prefer HD".
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

jsofikitis

Quote from: prl on July 29, 2009, 03:17:02 PM
No, "more than 5 days away" gives you a "queued" (donut) icon, which can be either red or grey. I had some of these grey icons inappropriately on some of my ABC timers, and I was able to fix it by changing "Pefer HD" to "Prefer SD" or ""Only SD", and then changing them back to "Prefer HD".

Thank you, that fixed it. Much appreciated.