Please provide a Grid view for Interactive TV Guide !

Started by jorkrim, July 08, 2009, 02:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prl

I've just had a quick look at the judgments, and there's more mention of the presentation than I recalled, but it didn't seem to be that significant. But since IANAL, I think I should let it rest there.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

grahford

All I want is an easier way to visually get an idea on when and how long my devices two tuners are recording and what the chances of a clash is going to be.

Now that we've got channels like Go! with their repeated block programming throughout the week I'm finding I'm needing to keep a closer eye on my programs to manually sort out any clashes.  It is becoming less of a set and forget arrangement.  *edit* Plus my wife is now a big user of the web Interactive and goes a bit record crazy sometimes :)

Lately I've found it easier to pull out the newspapers TV guide and compare each day with my upcoming shows page.  My TV guide lines up the starting times and has each channel in it's own column, (grid :) )  so it's pretty easy to grab a pen and block out my shows and see potential problems.

It's kind of funny to come in a full circle and start using a paper TV guide again.

prl

One thing that people tend to forget when comparing EPG with paper guides is that the a half-page of broadsheet has way more resolution than a TV screen. You can simply put much more information into the space available. Especially since EPGs are still designed so they are usable at 576-line resolution.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

grahford

I never use the EPG through my settop box for that reason.  It sucks.  I use the Interactive web page.  I only use the settop box for watching and deleting recorded files.

Though I should point out that my paper TV guide is not broadsheet.  It's a little weekly handout thingy.

prl

Quote from: grahford on January 20, 2010, 11:24:38 AM
Though I should point out that my paper TV guide is not broadsheet.  It's a little weekly handout thingy.
It'll still have way more resolution than a TV screen.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

grahford

Yes.  And I don't use the TV for the EPG for that reason.  Even though my settop box actually has a grid layout option it is almost useless because it can only display a limited number of channels and is too slow for moving between times and days.

I have no hope that that is going to change.  Which is why I only use Interactive on my computer for scheduling.  It's Interactive I wish had a better way of visually looking at the guide and scheduled recordings.

One online tv guide I like is the www.yourtv.com.au.  They don't bother trying to squeeze everything into a tight layout.  It's a grid layout as well.  I don't mind having to scroll.  Especially as I have a large, wide screen monitor so I don't even have to scroll that much anyway.