extra functionality request

Started by jjconomy, September 04, 2009, 06:58:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjconomy

Hi, I'm new to IceTV but have noticed, what could be, a very handy feature.
It would be great if you could mark the shows you are not interested in as hidden, that way when you are browsing through the guide you will not see anything marked as hidden. ie I have no interest in 80% of the content on tv .
This would speed up browsing even further and could potentially browse an entire week on one scrolling page.
To me, this would be more beneficial than the favourites system.

I hope this has not already been raised...

strangr

one way i have found this to be done is with favourites, using these to a major extent (mark every show you like to watch) then through interactive you can go to the "My Upcoming Shows" section. this will then just show the favourites and preset recordings along with series records.

I generally use this for most of my guide viewing.

mtb

Quote from: jjconomy on September 04, 2009, 06:58:27 AM
It would be great if you could mark the shows you are not interested in as hidden, that way when you are browsing through the guide you will not see anything marked as hidden. ie I have no interest in 80% of the content on tv .
Hmm, interesting... I like that idea, though it might be better if it greyed out (and smaller font?) those titles rather than truly hiding them as the guide could become very difficult to generate/read.

Alternatively, I think just removing seven, nine and ten channels might achieve a similar result!
Beyonwiz DP-P2, Epson EH-TW5500, Pioneer VSXLX52 & BDP-320, Screen Technics 100” screen, WD Live TV x2, 6Tb NAS (Linux)
Beyonwiz DP-S1, VIERA TH-42PA60A
HTC Desire (rooted) Froyo
Topfield 5000MP

jjconomy

Strangr,

The problem with favorites is you wont see any specials, movies, sports events.... so its pretty useless in this situation. Why would you need to look at any of your favorites.....you know what time and which day they are on and you probably have them set to record automatically anyway. No need to look at anything except shows you would like to make a decision - am I interested or not

Mtb,

The greyed out option would be good for  but making them turn grey is just as much time/processing power as not showing them at all. Ideally the greyed out option with a button to hide the blacklisted shows would be perfect. The format of the guide would not have to change, just a header for each new day.

st1cky

I like the idea of being able to filter the content, whether it be with hiding or sorting via genre or some other method.

Another feature I would like to see added is the ability to limit the number of shows set to record at any given time (for people who only have one or two tuners but the five or six channels all have something they have schedules to record), so the conflicts can be handled by IceTV Interactive, and managed there - that is to say one can choose which shows get priority.

Also, its a bit more a hardware issue, but it would be nice if the hardware (ie. the pvr in the lounge) could update the interactive database when a program is scheduled to record from the console. I guess thats something to take up with the manafacturers.

audioh0bbs

I have to say that I find the IceTV guide difficult to read - cluttered, not easy to break down into channels. I tend to leave it on "My upcoming shows" and use another TV guide to check what is on.

Al.

tonymy01

I was going to write a new thread about the exact thing (the trying to view what is on a channel) yesterday.  I had it all typed up that they should have a drop-down channel filter on the guide page so you can just view a channel, as often I am looking at the guide page trying to work out the show that is after the one you are looking at (say, want to see what the following 3 shows on that channel are) and it is a nightmare to find, and I have had this issue more than once.   Especially since there is subtle variances between names that first throw you, e.g. ONE HD, ONE , SBS ONE.   It is quite cluttered the way it is currently arranged list style (a different kind of timeline style would work though, much easier to visualise show lengths when graphically shown).
And then was about to click send, and realised the Widget does exactly this (well, it is sorted in channel, and then timeslot, rather than just timeslot order)....  The problem being that with all the new channels, the widget is too long for my screen in 5 show/timeslot view, so I have it in 3 program view which significantly reduces my ability to see at a glance what is happening for the night.

I would still like a graphic representation to show all channels, multiple progs, so you can more easily see overlaps and how you are going to miss something because you only have 2 tuners and 2 shows on different channels overlap part way thru.   I guess I resort to my PVR's horizontal timeline view guide for that...  but I want to see this from my (any!) PC at times.
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

jjconomy

Quote from: st1cky on October 21, 2009, 01:53:45 AM
I like the idea of being able to filter the content, whether it be with hiding or sorting via genre or some other method.

Another feature I would like to see added is the ability to limit the number of shows set to record at any given time (for people who only have one or two tuners but the five or six channels all have something they have schedules to record), so the conflicts can be handled by IceTV Interactive, and managed there - that is to say one can choose which shows get priority.

I agree, that would be a very handy feature also

grcassidy