Topfield TF7100HDPVRt does it come with the wireless module?

Started by petemod, June 12, 2009, 03:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemod

Hi,

I was thinking of purchasing the Topfield TF7100HDPVRt from here; but want to first ensure that the USB Wireless module is included with the package (Or is it an accessory that I need to purchase separately?).

What are people's experience with playing non-recorded videos on this device. I understand they need to be in MPEG format and have a special topfield file header? Given my videos are already in Mpeg format, to add the special header does it require a complete transcode or is it a relatively fast and simple process.

Thanks in advance

Peter

mooseau

TF5000PVRtMP Dec 07 pached Firmware tf 7100hdpvrt march 09 firmware
PC; windows 7 64bit core 2 Quad (q8200)4g memory

Notace

Quote from: petemod on June 12, 2009, 03:25:26 PM

...What are people's experience with playing non-recorded videos on this device. I understand they need to be in MPEG format and have a special topfield file header? Given my videos are already in Mpeg format, to add the special header does it require a complete transcode or is it a relatively fast and simple process.

Not sure what you mean by non-recorded videos. If you mean videos that didn't originate on the Topfield (DVD rips etc), then I'm afraid there's no easy way to import these and watch them on the Toppy. It's not designed as a Media Player, but as a pure PVR.  It can be done, but requires some software that has been written by others much cleverer than me to build a couple of ancillary files the Toppy uses to navigate videos. You need to transcode your video to MPEG format, then use this software to build the extra files. Then transfer all of these to the Toppy to watch. I haven't done this as I'm too lazy. I'll just watch such things on my PC.

If it's a media player/PVR you're after, then the Beyonwiz products are probably more what you need, as they provide fairly comprehensive media capabilities. I have a Topfield, with which I am very happy, so can't really advise you about the Beyondwiz. There are forums on Whirlpool, and on Beyondwiz's website where you can get more details. There's also a lot of discussion/comparison of Topfield vs Beyondwiz on the Topfield forums, if they ever come back on the air.

There are other brands, such as Homecast, and of course the Pioneer offerings, about which I know nothing, but Topfiled and Beyondwiz seem to lead in this particular market segment.

tonymy01

FYI: Beyonwiz
And the topfield-australia forums are still chugging away (the *old* Topfield support forum before itopfield took distributor/ownership of Toppies in Australia), but Beyonwiz discussions on there are rare because it is, well, a Topfield forum.  It is run by the same company that developed the Beyonwiz though, DPG.
And all the "itopfield converts coming across to find out why their new 7100/7150/7XXX is not booting/stuck on run/not upgrading" posts on the Toppie Australia forum is not a very good advertising space for getting a HD Topfield, that is for sure.
Regards
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).