cg814wg router and 7100 unable to ping icetv

Started by tomgj, June 02, 2009, 06:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomgj

I have a topfield 7100 connected by wired LAN on a static IP and am able to ping from the toppy to router (netgear cg814wg) and transfer files from a pc on the network from the toppy, but I can't see where I'm going wrong in not getting past the router. I have numerous other devices, including a Squeezebox duet media player, connected to this router with no probs. I have triple/quadruple checked the dns numbers on the toppy.
Do I need to activate port forwarding to allow the device to chat to the ice server?
The Squeezebox didn't require any special allowances other than the usual SSID and MAC address allowances for LAN.
This was all working seamlessly until I got the new router so I feel there is something in the router settings I'm missing?
Any suggestions welcome.
Regards
Tom

jaspa

Gday Tom,

Can you ping test the router?, if other devices are getting past the router it may be security settings on the router, you said you had to set MAC address allowances for LAN for your other devices? do you need to set the toppy mac in there as well? Does your router log show anything for the IP of the toppy?

Gordon

tomgj

Gday Tom,

Can you ping test the router?, if other devices are getting past the router it may be security settings on the router, you said you had to set MAC address allowances for LAN for your other devices? do you need to set the toppy mac in there as well? Does your router log show anything for the IP of the toppy?

Gordon

1. Can ping router and toppy as specified in OP
2. Toppy MAC is set in wireless, which is irrelevant as it's a wired connection anyway.
3. Router DHCP table shows toppy as connected, as you'd expect given ping command works.
There is something basic I'm missing in the setup of the router here, but stuffed if I can see it. It could be I need to activate port forwarding on this particular router, but wanted to see what others said... I don't really think this should be neccessary.
Regards
Tom

jaspa

Quote from: tomgj on June 02, 2009, 08:10:09 PM
Gday Tom,

Gordon

1. Can ping router and toppy as specified in OP
2. Toppy MAC is set in wireless, which is irrelevant as it's a wired connection anyway.
3. Router DHCP table shows toppy as connected, as you'd expect given ping command works.
There is something basic I'm missing in the setup of the router here, but stuffed if I can see it. It could be I need to activate port forwarding on this particular router, but wanted to see what others said... I don't really think this should be neccessary.
Regards
Tom

Tom,

Just one thing you say that the Toppy has a static IP in the OP, yet you mention that it is listed in the DHCP table, wouldn't have thought it should show up there.
Sure you haven't enable some form of firewalling / blocking in the router.

You didn't mention if you can see if the router is dropping packet from the IP of the toppy in any of the logging that the router has?

What is the actual problem you are having, No ICE Guide, or interactive not working?

BTW I don't have that type of router.

Gordon

Gordon