Universal remote for TF7100

Started by CEH, May 29, 2009, 08:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CEH

I am very happy with the TF7100 and IceTV (which I've used for years with a TF5000), but my wife has trouble with the TF7100 remote -- she finds the button markings too small to read. Can anyone recommend a universal remote that can support all the Topfield remote functions AND has large, easy to read buttons?

A_G

The Logitech Harmony series are absolutely brilliant. I am using the 525 and find it wonderful. The buttons may not be large or easy to read but it does have a "glow" feature where the buttons light up. Really handy for night time. I also have large fingers and don't have a problem with the small number buttons.

You may need to do some fiddling and manual copying of button controls but once you get it set up the way you like it you will never go back to standard remotes (including juggling two or three at a time...).

Notace

Hi. Yes, I can vouch for the Harmony 525, which I use. My wife prefers the Topfield remote, but I use the Harmony almost exclusively. You will definitely need to customise the buttons, as I found that the Logitech setup program put in too many functions (many I never use so I deleted them), and not always where I wanted them. I also combined TV/PVR functions on the one "device" setting, so I didn't have to swap between devices just to access some functions (TV Volume for instance). But once you've done this the Harmony is a dream.

As mentioned, the keys are a bit small, but you get used to them, and they are well spaced. Perhaps one of the other Harmony units would be better suited to your wife's needs, but they do get pricey. Go into a decent store and ask them to let you play with the various units, until you find one your wife likes the feel of.

Vortical

Quote from: CEH on May 29, 2009, 08:23:44 PM
I am very happy with the TF7100 and IceTV (which I've used for years with a TF5000), but my wife has trouble with the TF7100 remote -- she finds the button markings too small to read. Can anyone recommend a universal remote that can support all the Topfield remote functions AND has large, easy to read buttons?

Perhaps she needs one of these
http://www.bigbuttonremotes.com/large_button_remotes.asp?PageID=13