Transferring mpgs to/from the TF7100

Started by Griffin, May 06, 2009, 11:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin

Hi

I want to transfer mpgs to the TF on an external hard drive but when I copy the file to the hard drive and try to display it on the TF the pvr deletes it saying that the index is removing unavailable file - don't turn off. What is the proper way to transfer movie files to/from the TF?

Cheers

tonymy01

The Topfield is not a media player.   If you want to watch something that is MPEG2, it is reasonably easy to convert the file to a Topfield format now, thanks to the good work of Deangelis etc.   Unfortunately because their forums are down, I can't point you to the relevant threads though!!
Essentially, the process is to convert whatever you have into a MPEG-2 Transport Stream.   Then you need to create the correct Topfield directory structure format which has header files for the file structure, and this is where I will have to stop, as I have a 5000 which supports a special "rec" header that can easily be added with projectX, where as the 7K series uses extra files for the headers instead, and some work with reverse engineering of the files was done by some smart 7K owners and they worked out enough to make a MPEG-2TS file playable on the 7K.
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

mikeathome

If you look at the videos folder on your external HDD you will see that each recording that you have made using the 7100 has 3 files, a .mpg, a.info and a .nav. If all 3 files are not present for any recording, what is there will be deleted, as you have experienced. As stated above there is a process for creating the .info and the .nav files described on the Topfield forum which is presently unaccessable.

Many have found an easier and less time consuming alternative is to get hold of a cheap dvd player with a usb port (make sure that it will play your files first) or a less cheap but much more functional media player such as the Ziova CS615 ($129 plusPP on Ebay).

Griffin

Thanks for the info. Does anyone have a copy of the toppy filemaker app that I can download? This seems to be the best option and it doesn't look like the forum will be back any time soon...

Your help is much appreciated.

Griffin