Recording over running programs

Started by Craigc0299, May 05, 2009, 10:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craigc0299

Hey guys,

I'm having issues with over running programs, I know this isn't the IceTV programs fault, it's the networks. I've set my recordings to extend 10 minutes to catch the over running programs, the issue is when I have two programs side by side on the same channel.

If a program is due to finish at 7:30 but in fact it finishes at 7:40 and the second program was supposed to start at 7:30 it stops the previous recording and starts the new one, causing the end of the program to be at the beginning of the new recording.

I was wondering how you guys get around it, or do you just live with it.

Thanks

Craig

tonymy01

On my Beyonwiz I have 20mins of soft post padding (and 3mins pre-padding).   If I record 2 shows back to back, it removes the soft padding and just kicks off the adjacent recording on the advertised time (which means a couple of mins or more sometimes of a show on the beginning of the next show as you describe).   I setup the Wiz to playback in chronological order now, so this is how I deal with it.   Just a brief blip (1second?) missing when it jumps from one file to the next.... but single person household here and can usually remember what I have watched so I don't go deleting the ending to a show I haven't watched yet.   I often, if I want to delete the second show, trim it to just keep the ending of the first show, is a 5second job to do this on the Beyonwiz.
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

futzle

Quote from: Craigc0299 on May 05, 2009, 10:25:49 PM
If a program is due to finish at 7:30 but in fact it finishes at 7:40 and the second program was supposed to start at 7:30 it stops the previous recording and starts the new one, causing the end of the program to be at the beginning of the new recording.

It's less painful if you have a dual-tuner unit (such as the Diversity); EyeTV records each show on a separate tuner so you get the padding as you would expect.  On the whole I just live with it.

There was some talk about it on the Elgato forums, pointing out that because it's all on the same frequency EyeTV could theoretically feed the single-tuner signal into two recordings during the overlap time.  But it's never been high priority from Elgato's perspective.

Elgato is a company based in Europe so I think it is entirely alien to them that shows don't actually start when the guide says they do.  (Try explaining the east-coast weekly petrol price cycle to an American...)

Craigc0299

Yeah I find it's only really painful when it's two shows back to back on the same channel. When it's two separate channels, you get the padding.

Coming from the UK, our TV guides are spot on, if a show is to start at 8:00 and finish at 8:30 thats what happens!  ;)

techydude

Quote from: futzle on May 07, 2009, 10:38:40 AM
There was some talk about it on the Elgato forums, pointing out that because it's all on the same frequency EyeTV could theoretically feed the single-tuner signal into two recordings during the overlap time.  But it's never been high priority from Elgato's perspective.

Elgato is a company based in Europe so I think it is entirely alien to them that shows don't actually start when the guide says they do.  (Try explaining the east-coast weekly petrol price cycle to an American...)

Yes, recording the 1 stream into the 2 files is exactly what needs to happen.  Perhaps if enough EyeTV users sent in their suggestion it might bump up the feature requrest's priority?

But you're right, it could be as foreign a concept as cell-phone carrier non-exclusivity to an American... ;)