Ice Box 2 as print server

Started by mwbradford, September 22, 2006, 07:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mwbradford

I received my ice box 2 yesterday and got it working with my wireless network quickly, which is great!! The ASUS router has other functionality such as USB print server - can you still make use of this with the ice box software installed on the router?

peteru

j s

Quote from: peteru on September 23, 2006, 04:38:01 PM
No.
Can I access a USB flash drive or external hdd?  I already have ToppyWeb installed and running.

peteru

j s

Quote from: j s on November 14, 2006, 02:25:59 PM
Quote from: peteru on September 23, 2006, 04:38:01 PM
No.
Can I access a USB flash drive or external hdd?  I already have ToppyWeb installed and running.
Got a flash drive recognised and mounted but unfortunately it blocks access to the Toppy. Unplugged the flash drive and rebooted and it's back to normal (so it's not the driver installation itself that caused the problem).

Installed kmod-usb-storage and kmod-usb-uhci

Need time to play a bit more, maybe switching the USB ports or delaying the mount. Be nice if peteru (as the author of Puppy) could comment but his IceTV connection might restrict him.

peteru

I'm not gagged by IceTV, I just don't have much time. Most of the software on an IceBox2 is covered by GPL or other OSS licenses.

The IceBox2 has been tweaked for reliable operation with a number of PVRs. Topfield USB connectivity is the main target, but there are things in there to support several other PVR vendors.

The particular configuration of the USB stack, puppy and ftpd-topfield has been carefully crafted such that things don't stomp all over each other. Once you introduce other factors, such as HDDs, you are running the risk of affecting the stability of the entire USB subsystem. This is mainly due to bugs in the Topfield USB stack, but there are also a few issues on the Linux side.