ABC HD 35 Minutes Out Melbourne

Started by zoszos68, April 15, 2009, 11:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zoszos68

Hi my ABC HD listings in Vista Media Center are 35 minutes ahead of what they should be. I first had copy sd to hd on so changed to not copy and still the HD shoes are ahead by 35 minutes.
I was lucky I watched The Gruen Transfer and nobody else needed to see it. It also explained why it suddenly showed the now recording near the end of The Gruen Transfer.
Hopefully there is a reason at your end as I can not think of a reason for it to be here.
Kevin

Tracey IceGuide

Hi Kevin,

Our guide shows The Gruen Transfer beginning at 9pm running to 9.35pm.

The issue could have arose if there was a late minute change to today's program's outline.

Was The Gruen Transfer on at 9pm ?

Thanks
Tracey
IceGuide

zoszos68

Yes it was on at that time. But the ABC HD guide is 35 minutes out for all shows. And as it was one of the few HD shows the ABC has I noticed.
So something is wrong. The ABC 1 guide is ok.
Kevin

zoszos68

Woke just before to see ABC HD 1 hour and 20 minutes ahead. So I did an update and now there only 5 minutes ahead.
Strange things are happening hear. Can let me know that all is ok at your end as I don't want to waste my time checking my end.
I do have SP2 on (yes it's an RC) but I wont blame that (as it's unlikey) until I hear back from you.
Kevin

zoszos68

I was scrolling through the ABC listings to see a show tonight Solo listed twice in a row. The first is 8:35pm till 9:35 pm (5 minutes ahead) followed by the same Solo again which therefore puts all future shows 1 hour and 5 minutes out. I did not check the entire listings but something is surely amiss here. Hmmmm who to blame is the big question.
Kevin

tonymy01

I can explain how this could happen in a PVR, but I know nothing about VMC.
ICE data is GMT/UTC.   A PVR adds the known GMT offset to the data to display it to you in your local time.    With Topfield 5K PVRs, the way it calculates the GMT offset if you run your PVR clock in manual time (to avoid dodgy broadcaster timestamps) is really dumb.   It subtracts your PVR manual crystal run clock time from the broadcaster timestamp (broadcaster timestamps are in GMT) and thus obtains a GMT offset.   It then applies this to the GMT based EPG data (from the broadcaster or from ICE) and bobs your uncle, EPG displayed in local time.    The issue arrises with this strategy that if your unit clock is out by say, 3minutes (lets say 3mins fast), then when it uses this strategy it will thus calculate your GMT offset to be 10hours&3mins, and thus your EPG will look like it is 3minutes ahead of what it should be (shows starting at 8.33 instead of 8.30 for example).
If the broadcaster GMT timestamp is dodgy (because some local broadcasters are hopeless and can't adjust their broadcasting clocks properly!), then you will get the same result, EPG out by however many minutes (or hours!!) your broadcaster clock is out by.
If the PVR is in AUTO time, it only uses the broadcaster clock for your main PVR clock, but in AUTO time you setup a GMT offset yourself, so this fixed GMT offset is applied to the GMT based EPG and you will always get accurate EPG this way (shame that if the broadcaster timestamp is dodgy your PVR clock will vary wildly!!)
Regards
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

zoszos68

Quote from: tonymy01 on April 16, 2009, 11:13:01 AM
I can explain how this could happen in a PVR, but I know nothing about VMC.
ICE data is GMT/UTC.   A PVR adds the known GMT offset to the data to display it to you in your local time.    With Topfield 5K PVRs, the way it calculates the GMT offset if you run your PVR clock in manual time (to avoid dodgy broadcaster timestamps) is really dumb.   It subtracts your PVR manual crystal run clock time from the broadcaster timestamp (broadcaster timestamps are in GMT) and thus obtains a GMT offset.   It then applies this to the GMT based EPG data (from the broadcaster or from ICE) and bobs your uncle, EPG displayed in local time.    The issue arrises with this strategy that if your unit clock is out by say, 3minutes (lets say 3mins fast), then when it uses this strategy it will thus calculate your GMT offset to be 10hours&3mins, and thus your EPG will look like it is 3minutes ahead of what it should be (shows starting at 8.33 instead of 8.30 for example).
If the broadcaster GMT timestamp is dodgy (because some local broadcasters are hopeless and can't adjust their broadcasting clocks properly!), then you will get the same result, EPG out by however many minutes (or hours!!) your broadcaster clock is out by.
If the PVR is in AUTO time, it only uses the broadcaster clock for your main PVR clock, but in AUTO time you setup a GMT offset yourself, so this fixed GMT offset is applied to the GMT based EPG and you will always get accurate EPG this way (shame that if the broadcaster timestamp is dodgy your PVR clock will vary wildly!!)
Regards

VMC did not have the epg ota when it was released. It was later included in a "TV Pack" but that is only available to oem's on new Media Center PC's.
I have not put on "TV Pack' As a: It's not legally available and b: Ice TV does not currently work with it.
I do have SP2 RC as mentioned above.
I am installing the beta of Windows 7 today an a spare HDD and will see if I get the same guide problems.
With Windows 7 both the ota guide and Third party (Ice TV) work. One I noticed when trying it earlier was that any data that was not sent by Ice was filled with the ota data so the different descriptions really help there.
I will now try updating the clock to see what happens.
Strange that it happens on 1 channel only.
Kevin

Tracey IceGuide

Kevin,

Our guides are correct.  This seems to be a technical issue.  Could you please contact Technical Support.

Thank you
Tracey
IceGuide

zoszos68

Quote from: Tracey IceGuide on April 16, 2009, 02:29:09 PM

Kevin,

Our guides are correct.  This seems to be a technical issue.  Could you please contact Technical Support.

Thank you
Tracey
IceGuide

I did last night still waiting for a reply...
And I just rescanned and reset up Vista Media Center and got the same Problem of ABC HD 5 minutes ahead then solo is listed twice tonight which then puts the rest out by 1 hour and 5 minutes.
Other than removing sp2 rc I have run out of ideas so will wait till Technical support contact me...........................................................
Kevin

Tracey IceGuide

I'm sure someone will be in touch with you very soon Kevin.

Tracey
IceGuide

zoszos68

Quote from: Tracey IceGuide on April 16, 2009, 03:37:47 PM

I'm sure someone will be in touch with you very soon Kevin.

Tracey
IceGuide

You must be psychic :).
At least I know I'm not alone with this problem now.
Kevin

deeceem

I have the same problem, eg shows abc news starting at 8.05pm

pyscho

Got the same issue, it was happening with ABC1 and ABC2. Rang IceTV support today and tried a couple of things that they suggested. ABC2 is good now but ABC1 is now running at 1.35 out.
I have 2 Vista machines and they both are having the same problem, so I can only assume there is a problem with the IceTV data for ABC1 at the moment. This is for ABC1 Canberra.

I was thinking of ringing Microsoft but last time I spoke to thier tech support they told me I should run linux instead. LMFAO  not
:)

tonymy01

Can you look at the ICE data on the media centres at all (raw files I mean?).   Or do an XML download of the ICE data for your area.   This will prove that in all likelihood it is not the ICE data that is the problem.   The ICE data is definitely GMT.   So I don't know how the VMC converts GMT data to show it to you in local time.   It is this conversion that I reckon the VMC is getting wrong.    It may use the broadcaster timestamps to achieve this, and thus it may be your broadcaster in your area is sending something wrong in their broadcast stream. I am talking about the TOT=time offset table or TDT=time and date table, which by itself is nothing to do with the EIT/EPG, but obviously a box needs to know both the GMT timestamp & date, and then the offset to apply to understand the localtime, and also use either that offset or simply a manually set offset to add to the EPG (from free to air OR ICE, either are the same as both are GMT) to display it to you in the correct localtime.
Regards
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

pyscho

Thanks for the reply tonymy01, always nice when a guru steps in. :)
It looks like the error has gone away after both machines had a good nights sleep. The time for all ABC1 programs is now correct. It is interesting that the problem was only with one channel not for all. The joys off MS Windows.