There is no way its worth the money... icetv and Topfield TF7100HDPVRt

Started by thefrasers, March 27, 2009, 07:17:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thefrasers

If Interactive would work icetv would be worth the subscription fee.  It is much less time consuming setting the programs I want to watch manually everyday.

I am currently only using the 30 day free subscription and have tried everything I could find in the forums to get interactive to work but it has only successfully sent the ddata to my PVR once.

icetv does not look like it is worth the money!

Nick

marcusstringer

They are having problems with the interactive part of their service at the moment.
They are working on it.

Let me assure you when it was working it was great.

My advice is to hang there, they will get it sorted...
Marcus
Twitter: @MarcusStringer
www.midlandtypsetters.com.au

A_G

Yes, there are problems with Ice but overall the service is well worth the money. There have been a couple of times where series times have changed and I have missed them but Ice hasn't. During the bushfires when programs didn't run or ran at different times, Ice picked up the repeats when I wouldn't have even known they were on.

I am using a TF7100 with the October firmware and seem to be running pretty well. The couple of specific issues I have had Ice have been easy to contact and talk to and also pretty quick to fix the problems or help me work through them.

Hang in there and give it a chance. I have found the longer you use Ice the better it works.

shockdude

wally3218

Quote from: shockdude on April 11, 2009, 09:27:18 AM
its almost mid April, and nothing works. Why?

What do you mean nothing works, yes there have been problems but everything is working fine for me now.
IceTV have been very helpfull but you can't say the same for Topfield but overall with help from both of there sites problems get reported and fixed. This latest firmware seems a lot more stable.
I have no problems recommending IceTV and the TF7100
SONY KLV40S200 - 40 inch S series Bravia LCD TV
SONY DVPNS78H - DVD PLAYER
TOPFIELD TRF 2460
TOPFIELD TF7100PVRT
TOPFIELD TF5000PVRT
WDTV Live Streaming
Billion7300GRA  Windows 7 64bit

shockdude

I turned it on this morning and it started picking up icetv epg so it is working now

AMLagonda

First time for me and my topfield stated that IceTV that it couldnt receive Data from IceTV at the time, its working now.

AMLagonda

I am so angry, nothing is recording using IceTV  >:(

I have missed the biggest loser and the final So you think you can dance and we are pissed off!!!

I have just got to figure out what was the problem, Ice TV or the Topfield...

tonymy01

My money is on the Toppy as my Wiz has faithfully been recording all Biggest Loser eps.
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

jaspa

Just throwing my 2cents in, Since that latest firmware update I have not had any issues what soever, the 7100 and ICE have been very stable and reliable, all my timers (one offs and series) are working spot on and the guide data has always been available.

Gordon

AMLagonda

Its channel 10 that seems to be the problem

Some where in the EPG (I think) there is a choice and Channel 10 has a choice of 5 or 10, what do I put it on?

wally3218

Everything is working fine with my TF7100 and IceTV interactive.
Now with IceTV winning there high court case against nine there will be a rush on more subscribers joining IceTV well done guys.
SONY KLV40S200 - 40 inch S series Bravia LCD TV
SONY DVPNS78H - DVD PLAYER
TOPFIELD TRF 2460
TOPFIELD TF7100PVRT
TOPFIELD TF5000PVRT
WDTV Live Streaming
Billion7300GRA  Windows 7 64bit

clinte

Doesn't matter how many high court battles are won if the stuff doesn't work consistantly and reliably.

I bought a TF7100 late last year which came with a 6 month free subscription to ICE. The setup was easy enough but since day one I have had problems where the ICE data simply stops downloading - no rhyme nor reason... A reset on the network equipment, the TF, ICE account data or anything else doesn't help. I then go through the same reset options again and suddenly everything starts working - for another couple of weeks. Due to missed recordings this stuff has nearly got me divorced on several occassions now!

On Ice's advice I downloaded and installed the 20090317 update this morning. The update went through fine. I did a factory reset, power cycle and deleted and recreated the device on ICE. All the network settings are fine and the ping test is successful however the EPG and Timer settings during the ping test are both zero. From bitter experience this indicates that the EPG and timer recording data will never download.

Out of curiousity I went to a channel and tried to display the epg. I got a message back saying that the ICE server was BUSY and to try again in two minutes. OK, two minutes later same message, 20 minutes later - same message, an hour later - same message. Is the ICE server broken?? I have sent an email to ICE support so we'll see how that goes. For all its problems,  the ICE support team has been quite good - all to no avail though...

My free subscription ends in 14 days and at this point I won't be renewing it given the problems and related stress this has caused me. Back to the free to air epg I think unless ICE can make this work reliably.

The concept is brilliant but the actual implementation totally sucks.

Vortical

Quote from: clinte on April 25, 2009, 10:02:42 AM
The concept is brilliant but the actual implementation totally sucks.

You have a right to your opininion but I completely disagree. A simple phoncecall to IceTV would have you on the right track too rather than simply coming on here and posting it sucks.

While it can take quite some time to pick up after a firmware update there is a couple of things you can do to try to make it quicker.
1. Switch your EPG to air the day before you plan to upgrade or do a factory reset on the pvr.
2. Do not resend all timers on the website until after your pvr has picked up the epg
3. Check you have your channels set correctly for your area within the IceTV EPG Settings menu on the pvr under the Channel Map - LCN Settings option

I assume you are aware of this procedure to help 7100 IceTV subscribers
http://forum.itopfield.com.au/Topic12774-63-1.aspx

clinte

I must apologise but I didn't realise ICE is a user supported product. If this is the case shouldn't ICE be FREE? I would have thought that during my MANY emails back and forth to ICE one of the support engineers there might have mentioned your small procedure if it worked for all cases. As I said in my last post, ICE support was good and responsive although they never mentioned your steps in their comunications.

Anyway I will try your procedure and see how it goes. It still doesn't explain why the TF would just stop downloading the data every couple of weeks though. Hopefully this new firmware will address that...