Another airing will be recorded on...

Started by adsjc, February 27, 2009, 10:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamping

Yes, beta or no beta, a lot of people are using Win7 for production machines and this deserves attention if for no other reason that ppl will not renew their subscriptions (nor buy one at a discounted rate!)

kanebullen

Quote from: hamping on June 02, 2009, 04:39:01 PM
Yes, beta or no beta, a lot of people are using Win7 for production machines and this deserves attention if for no other reason that ppl will not renew their subscriptions (nor buy one at a discounted rate!)

yeah, my problem is that I'm a sucker for a deal, and twice added another year to my subscription when a good offer came out... 

So I've still got 2.3 years to run!  :)

gleggate

Yes, some more details on the beta schedule would be great. As previously mentioned the Windows 7 RC's are being used in a production type environment (impossible to run as a beta without splitting your self away from the family to watch TV!), and the guide and scheduling is a key factor to the acceptance of Win7 as a platform for the wife. So it would be nice to have some dates on when there will be some improvements to the icetv beta, otherwise in my case, I will need to revert back to the Win7 EPG or boot back to Vista. Neither at this point in time is an attractive path, given that my tuners had become unstable after some patching in Mar2009 and reverting back to Win7's EPG brings along the effort of setting up the recordings again.
Thanks.

kirlam

OK - this issue is driving me nuts.  The main shows I record are ABC News, 7.30 Report, Four Corners and Foreign Correspondent - all of which seems to be afflicted with this issue.
When I first converted to Win7 I used the FREE over the air guide.  I only bothered to install the ICE-TV guide because the FREE guide only gives a couple of days of advance schedule on ABC (other channels still provide a week).  The limit of two days of advance scheduling was a bit annoying but at least I could record a series with no hassle.  
The lack of decent series recording on ICE is a major pain.
I know it's still beta but if all the early adopters start turning away from ICE because a FREE product is better it's going to quickly undermine the business model.
Can we at least have an ETA on the fix?

kanebullen

Quote from: kirlam on June 06, 2009, 07:49:31 AM
The lack of decent series recording on ICE is a major pain.
I know it's still beta but if all the early adopters start turning away from ICE because a FREE product is better it's going to quickly undermine the business model.
Can we at least have an ETA on the fix?

As a workaround, I've installed Big Screen EPG (http://www.bigscreenglobal.com/), which fixes up the Ice data when importing (I believe it just uses the standard ICE data and has it's own import routine).  This has solved the issue for me.        It does take a bit of setting up (I had to start my media center setup from scratch), but this issue is a show stopper for me, so it was worth it.   

It's currently in beta (current version will only last until July 1)

Cheers

Kane

kirlam

Thanks for the suggestion Kane

The thought of adding yet another filter between the data and the EPG fills me with dread - just another point for the data to get out of alignment.

In the mean time it dawned on me that all of the shows I am having problems with are on at the same time every day/week.  I've set up a manual record based on the channel and the time - feel kind of like I've taken a step back to the days of the VCR.  At least I now have the full EPG info from ICE and I'm still getting regular recordings of the main shows I want to capture.  Should have thought of the work around sooner - it's simple but effective.

Kev