Poll: Should "MOVIE:" be removed from movie titles in Win7's EPG?

Started by Russell at IceTV, February 27, 2009, 11:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the text "MOVIE:" be removed from movie titles in Win7's EPG?

Yes
No

dgaust

Ok, just grab the file from here. Just drop it into your startup folder and it will keep an eye on the registry key for you. The additional information you can get is brilliant.

Also not sure if you guys see the need, but I like to update my guide from within MCE if I've been doing some fiddling (or when the channels screw up due to the MS bug), but since we're loading data externally via the loadxmf tool, the internal MS 'Get Latest Listings' feature won't work.

So I built a MCPL application to do just that. It's fairly basic, just a single button that runs your scheduled task, but it works.

You just need to put the name of your scheduled task in the settings.xml file located in the install directory. i.e if you followed the instructions in this thread, your settings xml would look like

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<settings>
  <taskname>Update IceTV Guide</taskname>
</settings>

I haven't tested it via an extender session, and it's still only an early build (it doesn't give any real feeback that it's doing anything yet) but if people want to use it, it's here

blaize

I'm voting Yes as I hate the recorded TV movies showing up in my DVD library  ;D

dgaust

That, in general, won't fix the issue. Since Microsoft take the information from a flag call IsMovie as opposed to the Movie: in the name.

Microsoft have added a registry key setting so that recorded movies won't show up (although with the right regional settings, and Ice's data, you can get nice meta data for those types of movies). I don't know the details of which key as yet.

OzRob

I voted No because I like the fact that you can easily see at a glance what is a movie and what's not in you Recorded TV folder in Media Center.

brendonrd

There is an option under the Movies row that lets you view the up-coming movies that are listed in you guide. I personally scan through this each week now to see what we want to watch.

ldpeter

Hi Guys,

I actually found a really good reason to remove the MOVIE: tonight. The movie Children of Dune wasn't marked as MOVIE: Children of Dune, instead it was just marked as Children of Dune, with this marked correctly, Windows 7 Media Centre got the movie front cover from AMG! It also had another page that was called similar movies! I thought it was really cool, if anyone looks at this post between 8:30pm and 10:00pm Friday night check out the Children of Dune listing for the Go! channel.

Thanks.

ldpeter

adsjc

Quote from: ldpeter on October 02, 2009, 08:48:45 PM
Hi Guys,

I actually found a really good reason to remove the MOVIE: tonight. The movie Children of Dune wasn't marked as MOVIE: Children of Dune, instead it was just marked as Children of Dune, with this marked correctly, Windows 7 Media Centre got the movie front cover from AMG! It also had another page that was called similar movies! I thought it was really cool, if anyone looks at this post between 8:30pm and 10:00pm Friday night check out the Children of Dune listing for the Go! channel.

Thanks.
I agree, the extra data from AMG makes a addition to the icetv info.
I don't suppose this could be set as an option in "My Account" on the icetv website? That way everyone gets what they want  ;D

Russell at IceTV

Quote from: adsjc on October 11, 2009, 04:14:05 AM
I don't suppose this could be set as an option in "My Account" on the icetv website? That way everyone gets what they want  ;D

Yes, that's what we're thinking as well.  We're doing some tests to see about the extra movie info, and looking at making it an option under My Account as to whether or not the MOVIE: prefix is included.  It seems like that's the best way to handle it, since there's not a clear consensus, and there might be times when you want to change it.

Thanks,
Russell

ldpeter

adsjc

Quote from: Russell at IceTV on October 11, 2009, 04:48:34 AM
...We're doing some tests to see about the extra movie info, and looking at making it an option under My Account as to whether or not the MOVIE: prefix is included... 

Well if you need a guinea pig I'm sure I'm not the only one here thats ready and willing  ;D

ldpeter

Quote from: adsjc on October 12, 2009, 02:37:20 AM
...We're doing some tests to see about the extra movie info, and looking at making it an option under My Account as to whether or not the MOVIE: prefix is included... 

Well if you need a guinea pig I'm sure I'm not the only one here thats ready and willing  ;D

+1

adsjc

...We're doing some tests to see about the extra movie info, and looking at making it an option under My Account as to whether or not the MOVIE: prefix is included.  It seems like that's the best way to handle it, since there's not a clear consensus, and there might be times when you want to change it...

Do We have any update/ETA on this?
(not pushing, just wondering  ;D)

Russell at IceTV

Update: we've added the ability to remove the "MOVIE:" prefix from movie titles in the Windows 7 guide.  See this post for the details:

New feature: remove "MOVIE:" prefix from movie titles
http://www.icetv.com.au/iceforum/index.php?topic=2156

Thanks,
Russell