Priority for taping multiple shows?

Started by madrob, February 24, 2009, 01:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPP

Quote from: prl on August 19, 2010, 09:24:08 AM
As has been mentioned in other topics, management of recordings (with priority) across more than one device would be good, too.

And a little OT: please make the default series recording option "Prefer Standard Definition" if the recording is being set up from a standard definition service!
Yep, these two issues have been bugging me too for a looooong while now - not for the want of asking mind you  :).

What about it Daniel ?
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

prl

Quote from: JPP on August 19, 2010, 03:57:13 PM
Quote from: prl on August 19, 2010, 09:24:08 AM
As has been mentioned in other topics, management of recordings (with priority) across more than one device would be good, too.

And a little OT: please make the default series recording option "Prefer Standard Definition" if the recording is being set up from a standard definition service!
Yep, these two issues have been bugging me too for a looooong while now - not for the want of asking mind you  :).

What about it Daniel ?
The really annoying thing about the second one is that the single episode recording button does the right thing!
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

tonydav

+1 for me for me as well to both of these features.

Ice really needs a priority system to make it true set and forget.

Lisey

-1 for me.
No way I'd spend the time prioritizing my shows just in case they ever overlap. It takes long enough to record a show without prioritizing it, especially if it doesn't clash anyway. Why not have a priority only where a clash will occur? And a badge on the app to see that?
While I absolutely see your reasoning for wanting it, extra bits to fill in risks making it cumbersome and clunky.

tonymy01

I would suggest the priority be optional, if no priority set, no different action is taken.   If a number has been set, then in the case of a multiple clash (ICE need to therefore know you have 1, 2 or X tuners, or use the exclamation for non-set timers when the PVR next responds... assuming it does.. Topfield, yes, I am talking about your pathetic ICE effort!!),  if a timer has a greater priority number than another, ditch the lower one, if less, ditch the higher one of course, and if the same, leave as is (i.e. current solution of "tough t*tties, you only have 2 tuners, but we have scheduled 3 timers, so you lose one of them").
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

prl

Quote from: Lisey on March 11, 2011, 06:28:54 PM
-1 for me.
No way I'd spend the time prioritizing my shows just in case they ever overlap. It takes long enough to record a show without prioritizing it, especially if it doesn't clash anyway. Why not have a priority only where a clash will occur? And a badge on the app to see that?
While I absolutely see your reasoning for wanting it, extra bits to fill in risks making it cumbersome and clunky.
I tend to agree with this. I have about 130 recordings in my IceTV My Shows. I'm not going to prioritise them, and prioritising them as the need arises seems to me to be about the same sort of effort as managing collisions manually.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

tonymy01

I use a priority scheme for my Topfield 5K, it works reasonably well.   You don't go and number every favourite/keyword, that is crazy.   You just start numbering the shows you would hate to miss (or would cop an ear bashing if they were missed).   Make sure you give them big priority numbers.   That is all really.   I definitely haven't numbered my 120keywords, just about 10 or so.
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

markb

My 2c of comment.

I wrote my own xmltv grabber, favorites matcher and timer setter etc for my slug with my old TF5000. I have used it for many years now. At one point long ago, I tried to add priorities on favorites matches with an algorithm for dealing with timer clashes but it is surprisingly difficult. What do you do with coallesced programs with mulitple priorities etc? What if that coallesced series clashes with a much shorter but higher priorty program. Eventually I realised that the clashes can only really be satisfactorily dealt with by human resolve. So I changed my program to merely email me whenever it detects a clash. The email tells me the clashed programs etc and I resolve them manually. With my families (admittedly light) viewing habits, I only get about 2 emails a year so it works well for me and I suspect for many others. So perhaps ICE could also consider adding an "email on timer clash" option?

csutak40

I use TED for my Toppy 5K and the reason I still use it, despite the nearly non existent support from its author, is because one can prioritise programs.  It sold itself as "Tivo like", way before Tivo was sold in Australia.  I have never seen a Tivo in action, so can't say how similar it is to it, but I love it.  It uploads the timers once a day (or as often as I'd like, but I chose once a day) and creates a report telling me what is not being recorded because of a clash.  I can then change things if I don't agree with its choices, but it doesn't happen very often.  Each time I select a show as my favourite, I can choose whether I want SD or HD, only record it from one channel or all the channels, first run only, etc.  I select my choices in seconds when I first mark the program, there is no need to ever touch it again.  I have become addicted to it, and as I wouldn't know how use anything that required programming knowledge, I'd be lost without it.  I also use Windows Media Centre as a backup, with Ice Interactive.  Even though I don't record much with it, clashes still happen, usually when something I have forgotten about having even set a timer for comes back on line after a long time off.  When (fingers and toes crossed) my Toppy 5K gives up the ghost, I would be lost without something similar to TED.  Might have to buy a Tivo!  :o
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

tonydav

Quote from: markb on March 12, 2011, 01:15:05 AM
My 2c of comment.

Eventually I realised that the clashes can only really be satisfactorily dealt with by human resolve. So I changed my program to merely email me whenever it detects a clash. The email tells me the clashed programs etc and I resolve them manually. With my families (admittedly light) viewing habits, I only get about 2 emails a year so it works well for me and I suspect for many others. So perhaps ICE could also consider adding an "email on timer clash" option?

I'd still like an optional priority scheme, but I think an e-mail option is also essential. Basically I'd be happy with a 1-5 rating but with an e-mail being sent if their are clashes between same priority items.

In the interim, just an e-mail would be really helpful and I wouldn't think that hard to implement.

awoods

+1  "Priority for taping multiple shows"

+1 "Priority between multiple machines"

+100  "Email alert of recording conflicts, or other problems"

GarFin

+101  "Email alert of recording conflicts, or other problems" :)

RodSmith

OK - given the age of this thread, it seems people have been asking for a recording clash/priority setting feature for some time now.

Do any of the Beyonwiz PVR models have this capability yet? I have an old DP-P1 that I'm thinking of replacing next year. For the most part I've been happy with it, but channel/show prioritisation is quite a desirable feature for me and it will most likely influence which new PVR I purchase.

If no Beyonwiz model can do this, can anyone suggest other PVRs on the market in Australia that DO feature this option?
Cheers,
RJS

prl

Quote from: RodSmith on October 17, 2011, 08:58:08 PM
Do any of the Beyonwiz PVR models have this capability yet? I have an old DP-P1 that I'm thinking of replacing next year. For the most part I've been happy with it, but channel/show prioritisation is quite a desirable feature for me and it will most likely influence which new PVR I purchase.

If no Beyonwiz model can do this, can anyone suggest other PVRs on the market in Australia that DO feature this option?
What's being asked for in this topic is an IceTV capability, not a PVR capability. With a few exceptions, and those mainly based on their hardware (e.g. single or dual tuner, built-in recording from analog, built-in recording HDD), Beyonwiz firmware all has pretty much the same features. No Beyonwiz models have this capability.

IIRC there are Topfield TAPs that add a capability like this to Topfields that can have TAPs.

TiVos have prioritisation built in to the way they record shows, but I don't have one, so I don't know exactly how it works.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

ianoverseas

+1 for prioritising recordings

Really surprised this feature is not included - perhaps EyeTV should be handling that?