Editorial comments of shows

Started by matt, January 30, 2006, 08:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matt

As a subscriber, I am looking for accurate descriptions of shows on at any given time.  For movies you'd expect a plot extract, for regular television shows a quick note on which episode it is.

IMHO the editorialisation of show description is neither welcome nor appropriate; particularly given the significant charge requested by ICE.

For example, channel nine's news:

"Strong advice... take the kids to the park and return for SBS World News or the ABC News at 7pm. Cos IceMan told me so ..."
Ok, so as a one off I see the humour.  Every night it's hardly entertaining and just ruins the information on my PVR.

Or a movie (eg Top Gun from last night)

"Then it's time to watch this slick 1980's blockbuster about a group of cocky fighter pilots. Maverick compares egos with Iceman, cracks onto his hot teacher, redeems the tarnished reputation of his dead father, watches his best friend Goose go down in flames and finally wins the day - all in the name of peace, democracy and the right to wear Ray-bans."

Guys, we are paying you for a guide data service not a poor attempt at stand-up comedy.  ~$150 for that kind of garbage is offensive.

If you want to charge a professional price, offer a professional product.

Can someone from Ice please comment as to their intention of continued editorialisation of this information?
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.5GHz 23" ACD, EyeTV 410 - EyeTV2.1

mexiwi

Those descriptions seem pretty accurate to me

pvogel

I take your point about the repetitive ones becoming tedious.

However we have received a lot of positive appreciation for this lighthearted editorialising in general.

I will raise this subject next time I meet with the guide team.

Thanks for your comments, always welcomed.

Peter
CTO IceTV

matt

QuoteI will raise this subject next time I meet with the guide team.

Thanks Peter - I do appreciate the speedy response.
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.5GHz 23" ACD, EyeTV 410 - EyeTV2.1

balhamboris

Just saw your post and realised I should have replied here first. I am hacked off because I am getting NO guide information on Movies. Almost all the late night movies on ABC Perth are empty. For a 7 day paid guide this is not impressing me. Could someone tell me why they are missing or is it a bug with my system - Toppy 5000PVrt with May  05 firmware. >:(