Keyword record for LOST

Started by martymonster, February 13, 2009, 10:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martymonster

I am having problems getting this to work.
If I set a keyword of Lost, all shows with Lost are set to record.
So, I changed it to   Lost Fox   so it grabs the actors name as well.
But it will not set it to record, I tried various actors names from the guide but still it does not get set to record.
With 24, I set it to 24 Kiefer   and that works.

Any one else tried a keyword record for Lost?

tonymy01

Tell me about it.   For simple prog names like "Lost" and "24" and "House", these appear all over the weekly guide in various program descriptions, it is impossible to be able to tailor these keyword recordings to get the progs you want, all to get the PVR to record the HD vs SD of the show (since 7 & 10 seem to have screwed everyone over with random appearances only of these shows on HD.... well, not House per se...yet..., but everything else).
Regards
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

martymonster

Glad I am not alone here.
Maybe Ice should allow more choices for us when using this feature.
Maybe, Allow us to state whether this word is the whole Title or part of the title ?
Maybe add
Title -
Director -
Actor -
Description -

Thus, if we only put the word Lost in the Title field and leave all other fields blank, it only searches for Lost, if we do *Lost* then it searches for ALL titles with the word Lost in it.

The function is a great idea but needs a lot more thought on how it should be implemented.

Russell at IceTV

Hi guys,

This should be fixed now.  We reworked the keyword matching code so that it now works the same as when you manually do a search on the TV Guide page.  So searches for "Lost Fox" in the titles and descriptions should get you what you want.  Give it a try and see what you think.

As for needing more options, and having better control over SD and HD...  we hear you!  ;D  We're working on several ideas but because of the complexity involved, I don't have a timeframe, sorry.  But we're definitely reading your forum posts and are aware of the things you'd like changed.

Thanks for reporting this...

Russell

tonymy01

QuoteAdd a Keyword Record or Keyword Favourite for  ‘lost fox’
Sorry, there were no matches. Please ensure all words were spelt correctly, then search again.
Doesn't look like it works to me?
edit:
Doh, I didn't have the radio button "titles and descriptions" ticked... hopefully you *don't* need it ticked for setting up keywords?

edit2:
Why has my Dexter keyword have a timer setup for OneHD and Ten this Monday? 
I have prefer HD of course, but Dexter appears 3 times in the Guide now, on One, OneHD and Ten in the ICE EPG, did this break the prefer HD algorithm when One(SD) was added to ICE?
Regards
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

Russell at IceTV

Doh, I didn't have the radio button "titles and descriptions" ticked... hopefully you *don't* need it ticked for setting up keywords?

Good to hear it's fixed.  Yes, you do actually need to select the correct radio button when searching, to specify "Titles", "Descriptions", or "Titles & Descriptions".  The Keyword Record or Keyword Favourite is then created with that same option, to give you the ability to specify which data should be included in the search.  Whenever you include "Descriptions", you're also including Actors and Director, although the web site doesn't explicitly say that (but probably should).

One problem we're aware of at the moment is that if you go to the My Shows page, you can edit the Keyword Record or Keyword Favourite, but you can't actually change the setting of that radio button.  You'd need to delete it and add it again.  This is something we plan on improving though.

Why has my Dexter keyword have a timer setup for OneHD and Ten this Monday?

Ah, thanks for mentioning this.  We just recently added One and One HD, and had neglected to configure something on the One HD channel so the scheduler would know to prefer that channel for HD recordings.  If you check it again, you should find that the show is only scheduled on One HD now.

Russell

tonymy01

Interesting that the keyword recording uses the selected radio button also, that isn't really intuitive nor was it mentioned in the online help when choosing the help option while trying to do a keyword record (I guess you just made this change to its functionality?).   This will certainly help reduce the number of unwanted hits on program descriptions for known program titles (not entirely mind you, with simple prog names like 24, house, lost, I am sure these appear in other prog titles too, but it is a good start to improving this keyword searching algorithm, thanks!).   This may explain why some peoples keywords are now broken, as they may have expected it to always search on progname and description.
Regards
Regards
Tony

sthomp31

I think it would be great if you standardised your options between 'keyword search' or simply choosing the programme from the guide.
I have changed many of my recordings to keyword just so I can pick 'Prefer HD'. But then I lose the ability to pick 'first runs only'. This has shown to be an issue with Desperate Housewives appearing *** 5 *** times last week. So guess what, my PVR recorded it 5 times.
I am definitely not a programmer but surely it can't be too hard to apply all the options already available to both recording choices.

I must admit I hadn't thought of including an actor's name in the keyword to ensure 24 and Lost only got those shows and not the various others with those details as well. I'll have to give it a go.

martymonster

sthomp31 - You can always try to add -repeat in the keywords, this excludes repeats if it it mentioned in the guide, for example
Red Dwarf ‘Backwards’    ABC2
Mon, 23 Feb 2009, 30 minutes, G, Entertainment, Sci-Fi, Comedy, CC, Repeat

As long as repeat is not in the description as well.

But yes, I also agree that both choosing from the guide and using keywords SHOULD use the same options, surely it cannot be too hard to modify as the code base is already there.

ddre78

Seriously, the basic features im missing since using TEDS / TF5000, now Ice / BW is crazy. Sorry Ice but I wont bet renewing again until these issues are sorted. Im having to check my upcoming shows at least once a day sometimes more often to make sure all my shows are being recorded. The current situation with SYTYCD is another great example. One episode appears on all 3 Chan10 chans, the other episode appears on 10SD only. Set it up to record on all chans and I get errors because its trying to record on 3 chans at once. Record 10SD only and I miss an ep in HD.

There is almost a daily example of why Ice Int is simply not hitting its target, and im sick of double and tripple checking every timer every day. I didnt check TEDS for weeks on end. Bottom line, I have no trust in the Ice system.

Russell at IceTV

Quote from: Russell at IceTV on February 16, 2009, 11:35:52 AM
One problem we're aware of at the moment is that if you go to the My Shows page, you can edit the Keyword Record or Keyword Favourite, but you can't actually change the setting of that [titles vs. descriptions] radio button.  You'd need to delete it and add it again.  This is something we plan on improving though.

The My Shows page has been changed now so that you can view and edit the keyword search type:

• title
  • description, actors, and directors
  • title, description, actors, and directors

Thanks, and sorry for the confusion,
Russell

j s

Quote from: Russell at IceTV on March 04, 2009, 03:31:20 AM
Quote from: Russell at IceTV on February 16, 2009, 11:35:52 AM
One problem we're aware of at the moment is that if you go to the My Shows page, you can edit the Keyword Record or Keyword Favourite, but you can't actually change the setting of that [titles vs. descriptions] radio button.  You'd need to delete it and add it again.  This is something we plan on improving though.

The My Shows page has been changed now so that you can view and edit the keyword search type:

• title
  • description, actors, and directors
  • title, description, actors, and directors

Thanks, and sorry for the confusion,
Russell
Russell, is there any news yet on the MANY requests to give both series and keyword searches a common set of filters?

This has been requested constantly for months now yet still no response from Ice on when (or even whether) this will be done.

"How hard can it be?"

Trial_Master

Russell at IceTV

Quote from: j s on March 05, 2009, 09:29:38 AM
Russell, is there any news yet on the MANY requests to give both series and keyword searches a common set of filters?

This has been requested constantly for months now yet still no response from Ice on when (or even whether) this will be done.

C'mon now, let's not get carried away.  Scroll up a bit and you'll see that in this same thread I said we were aware of all the posts about the issue, and that we were working on getting a better solution.  Dan also responded to your exact same question in another thread.

I think we're pretty responsive about most issues that come up, but being a very small company, we have limited resources, so I can't give you a time estimate.  But it's still high on the priority list, right up with the top items actually, so give us the benefit of the doubt that we're not just pushing it to the side.  I'm glad that you want the features improved, it tells us that you care enough about it to want it to be as good as it can be.  We feel the same way.  We're working on it, I promise.

Russell

Trial_Master

Quote from: martymonster on February 18, 2009, 10:36:30 PM
sthomp31 - You can always try to add -repeat in the keywords, this excludes repeats if it it mentioned in the guide, for example
Red Dwarf ‘Backwards’    ABC2
Mon, 23 Feb 2009, 30 minutes, G, Entertainment, Sci-Fi, Comedy, CC, Repeat

As long as repeat is not in the description as well.

But yes, I also agree that both choosing from the guide and using keywords SHOULD use the same options, surely it cannot be too hard to modify as the code base is already there.

This could be a great workaround (for now) I have changed a lot of my Series Recordings over to Keyword Recording to get around the SD/HD issue. I have kept Series Recordings for First Run only shows but I might flick them too with this info you have provided.

Now the good part how do I get it too work? I have created a Keyword Recording for Two and a Half Men using the following filter "two and a half men -repeat" in the title, description, actors and director but nothing is coming up in Upcoming Shows. I also tried title only filter. I'm guessing I have the filter wrong can someone help me out?

EDIT: Without the quotations at start and finish I'm getting both First Run and Repeats in Upcoming Shows.