Firmware Update

Started by achoake, January 16, 2006, 08:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

achoake

Hi there
Can anyone tell us what has changed with the new firmware for the Netgear Icebox?
Mine is working really well and I am reluctant to update the firmware untill I know that it is relatively bug free and offers some enhancement.

Daniel Hall at IceTV

The firmware update that is currently listed under the icebox menu (numbered 200512291545) adds additional logging to the System Log.

If you're not experiencing any problems with your icebox then it's probably not worth upgrading to this version.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

achoake

Thanks Daniel
Any further news on the increased file transfer size?

Andrew Choake

trapper

richardnau

My WGT634U arrived in the post this morning. I hope to flash it to ICE firmware this evening.

The current firmware on the 'downloads' page is 200507131500. Is that what I should flash with? Or should I use 200512291545 (referenced in Daniel's post)? If so, where do I get it?

Thanks,

Richard.

Daniel Hall at IceTV

QuoteThanks Daniel
Any further news on the increased file transfer size?

Andrew Choake

We have managed to perform some tests using ftpd-topfield to tranfer large files wirelessly and it is looking good so far. There will need to be some more testing (and some changes made to the iceguide daemon to support ftpd-topfield) but it is definately looking good.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

richardnau

QuoteMy WGT634U arrived in the post this morning. I hope to flash it to ICE firmware this evening.

The current firmware on the 'downloads' page is 200507131500. Is that what I should flash with? Or should I use 200512291545 (referenced in Daniel's post)? If so, where do I get it?

Thanks,

Richard.

I also emailed this question to "support". Daniel answered (fast, thanks) and explained that updates are available 'on line' when the bridge is running.

For the record, I flashed my WGT634U this evening, followed the instructions, and all is installed and working.

Richard.

dJOS

Guy's, I dont know how many of you already know this, but I discovered that the network switch on the 634 works fine independently of the router section and if you loop a cable from the router port to the switch and plug the switch into an active network port it works perfectly.

As a result i've turned off the wireless segment and now I have my Engin VoIP box, MediaPC & Toppy/ICE-WGT634u all running of the only network point in my Lounge Room without a separate Switch.
My Home Theatre Project

Quad Tuner 7MC box now replaced by 2x TiVo's HD's by order of the Wife!

Stu247

We have managed to perform some tests using ftpd-topfield to tranfer large files wirelessly and it is looking good so far. There will need to be some more testing (and some changes made to the iceguide daemon to support ftpd-topfield) but it is definately looking good.

Hi Daniel,do you have an update for us regarding the file transfer limit increase ?
I believe quite a few of us are awaiting eagerly for some good news !!   :D

seangrips

QuoteGuy's, I dont know how many of you already know this, but I discovered that the network switch on the 634 works fine independently of the router section and if you loop a cable from the router port to the switch and plug the switch into an active network port it works perfectly.

As a result i've turned off the wireless segment and now I have my Engin VoIP box, MediaPC & Toppy/ICE-WGT634u all running of the only network point in my Lounge Room without a separate Switch.

Say again, how did you work that?

dJOS

It's simple, the 4port switch on the back works just fine on it's own - all you need to do is loop the WAN port into the switch, connect another switch port to an active ethernet connection and you are still left with 2 spare ethernet ports.

My Home Theatre Project

Quad Tuner 7MC box now replaced by 2x TiVo's HD's by order of the Wife!

Myles

I was wondering if there was any news for the new firmware with the ftpd-topfield for the Netgear.  
I have noticed that there is a different router on the web site, will the new firmware be releassed?

recur

I upgraded my unit today and I'm finding the time shifting / drifting a lot on the EPG program items but it is fine on the STB itself.

After pushing the EPG the times are correct. After a minute or so they drift by a minute and then become progressively worse.

Any ideas?

How can I downgrade?

Daniel Hall at IceTV

QuoteI upgraded my unit today and I'm finding the time shifting / drifting a lot on the EPG program items but it is fine on the STB itself.

After pushing the EPG the times are correct. After a minute or so they drift by a minute and then become progressively worse.

Any ideas?

How can I downgrade?

This can definately happen if running the Topfield in "Manual" time. As the time gets progressively out of synch (it should be very very slowly though) you will notice the EPG times being out by the same amount. The other problem though is if the time synch that is broadcast in the stream is out this will have the same effect.

If you are looking at downgrading the firmware in the Topfield the process is the same as an upgrade, but instead of loading the newest firmware file you will need to load the old file in TFDN_USB.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.