Interfaces: IceTV vs YourTV (http://www.yourtv.com.au/)

Started by halon, January 03, 2009, 10:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trial_Master

I'll check those URL's out. Thanks for the background info Peter.

prl

Quote from: Trial_Master on January 22, 2009, 05:17:24 PM
I'll check those URL's out. Thanks for the background info Peter.

No problem. I hope you join the ranks of the Beyonwiz hackers :)

The basic break-and-enter (and rebuild) tools are in BWFWTools (which includes a compiled PC version of efry's Wiz Firmware Tools). On other platforms you need to download and install Wiz Firmware Tools as well as BWFWTools. BWFWTools needs a Perl installation to work. Check out the README.txt file.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

Trial_Master

Shall do. Can you f*%k your BW with any of these hacks?

prl

Quote from: Trial_Master on January 22, 2009, 05:28:43 PM
Shall do. Can you f*%k your BW with any of these hacks?

Absolutely and completely. There are copious warnings in the documentation.

There have been a few instances of Beyonwiz users bricking their BWs when they installed hacked firmware, and in at least one instance that was due to a (now fixed) bug in BWFWTools. Unfortunately, the sad tales are in the members-only beta testers forum.

There has also been one case I know of where a hack changed the behaviour of the Beyonwiz in an unintended and undesirable way - user initiated HDD checking became impossible.

Before you hack, you should read NOTICE - How to recover from FW update failure on the Beyonwiz forum, and perhaps try it to make sure it works for you. But even so, it's not known for sure whether that can recover from all possible hacks. As far as I know, no one has hacked a Beyonwiz into a completely unrecoverable state, but I'm fairly confident that it's possible to do so.

There's an area on the Beyonwiz forum for Software Developers. Both in-firmware hacks and PC/Mac/etc programs are discussed. Many of the hackers are beta testers, but beta testers don't get any extra information from Beyonwiz that helps with hacking. They're aware that it's happening, because some bug reports to Beyonwiz in the beta area openly contain information that can only be got by hacking the firmware.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

Trial_Master

Okay sounds like I better read up before jumping in  ;)

Thanks again you've been most helpful.

dtv

yourTV's EPG is powered by HWW (www.hww.com.au) who are owned by Nine. Spot the obvious? It's no wonder IceTV and Nine are bitter enemies.

prl

Quote from: dtv on January 22, 2009, 07:50:22 PM
yourTV's EPG is powered by HWW (www.hww.com.au) who are owned by Nine. Spot the obvious? It's no wonder IceTV and Nine are bitter enemies.
All the official aggregated guides come from HWW.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

halon

Quote from: dtv on January 22, 2009, 07:50:22 PM
Interesting .. I didn't know that .. That explains a lot. But, for Nine, EPGs (and HWW) hardly have to be a 'core' revenue stream .. rather a reliable way of communicating your message.

For IceTV, it's a totally different picture.

And a topic for another thread, the other 'Your' sites (yourMovies / yourGigs / yourBars) are all absolutely useless .. or maybe I'm just not their target market.

dJOS

Just to throw the  Cat amongst the pigeons, I think the M$ Vista Media Center EPG View is the best yet on a "Device"!

For PC use I quite like the IceTV Interactive list view as it is very easy to scan, 2nd to that is WebGuide which is very similar to VMC.
My Home Theatre Project

Quad Tuner 7MC box now replaced by 2x TiVo's HD's by order of the Wife!

mtb

Quote from: djos on January 23, 2009, 01:12:38 PM
Just to throw the  Cat amongst the pigeons, I think the M$ Vista Media Center EPG View is the best yet on a "Device"!

Want to post a screen shot for those of us fortunate enough(!) not to have to use MS at home and Vista at all!
Beyonwiz DP-P2, Epson EH-TW5500, Pioneer VSXLX52 & BDP-320, Screen Technics 100” screen, WD Live TV x2, 6Tb NAS (Linux)
Beyonwiz DP-S1, VIERA TH-42PA60A
HTC Desire (rooted) Froyo
Topfield 5000MP

dJOS

My Home Theatre Project

tonymy01

I don't get it.   The Beyonwiz EPG is very similar to that, with 6 channels showing (and 8 if you want to forego the help legend), program names showing, when highlighted, give the short event description, when info pressed, give the extended info description, highlights shows due to be recorded etc.    It even has a PIG (picture in graphic) showing the TV inside the EPG next to where the event description of the highlighted event is.
I don't know why people bag out the Wiz EPG actually (apart from it truncating the names of longer show names, but the Vista EPG appears to be doing exactly the same), it works for me (but I use ICE mostly to do the programming with the Widget typically, or if that isn't letting me do what I want...e.g. keyword stuff, use the ICE webpages).
Regards
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

prl

Quote from: tonymy01 on January 26, 2009, 10:22:01 AM
I don't get it.   The Beyonwiz EPG is very similar to that, with 6 channels showing (and 8 if you want to forego the help legend), program names showing, when highlighted, give the short event description, when info pressed, give the extended info description, highlights shows due to be recorded etc.    It even has a PIG (picture in graphic) showing the TV inside the EPG next to where the event description of the highlighted event is.
I don't know why people bag out the Wiz EPG actually (apart from it truncating the names of longer show names, but the Vista EPG appears to be doing exactly the same), it works for me (but I use ICE mostly to do the programming with the Widget typically, or if that isn't letting me do what I want...e.g. keyword stuff, use the ICE webpages).
Regards
I've wondered much the same. I can't see much advantage of the Vista EPG display over the Beyonwiz, either.  The Vista display does seem to have a specific "Record series" icon rather than the Beyonwiz's use of shading for any recording). But of course, the icon uses up screen real estate that could be showing program information.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

dJOS

I've never seen the "Wiz" EPG screen so cant comment - VMC is my favorite of those I have experience with and it isn't just the look & feel; if you want to record a show in VMC you press record once, if you want to record a series you press record twice, it doesn't get much simpler than that.

Btw, I was never happy with any of the EPG's views available for the Toppy5k including JustEPG - I stuck to using TED/S on the PC.

My Home Theatre Project

mtb

Quote from: tonymy01 on January 26, 2009, 10:22:01 AM
Regards
I concur. While, I do like JustEPG for the sheer volume of data visible, the BW EPG is more than adequate and very similar to the screenshot posted.  Likewise I must admit to using the Ice website for almost all recording though, much like I use TED/s for the 5000.
Beyonwiz DP-P2, Epson EH-TW5500, Pioneer VSXLX52 & BDP-320, Screen Technics 100” screen, WD Live TV x2, 6Tb NAS (Linux)
Beyonwiz DP-S1, VIERA TH-42PA60A
HTC Desire (rooted) Froyo
Topfield 5000MP