Sports Series titling Again!!!!! :( Dakar, Cricket & Tennis

Started by dJOS, December 30, 2008, 07:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dJOS

C'mon ICE Guy's and Gal's, we were promised that all sports series would be properly titled so that Series Recording's would last more than one year and now the Dakar Series has been ballsed up!!!

There are (so far) 2 series available to record:

Dakar Rally 2009 and Dakar Rally Preview 2009

Can you please remove the YEAR from all series as promised 18 months ago to make it consitent with other Sports?

It is Seriously disappointing that you guy's aren't following common sense guidelines and applying them consistently for ALL Sports across the otherwise excellent ICE TV Guide! :(

PS. I do hope that NASCAR will get sorted for the 2009 season so we can use ICE Guide for its intended purpose (ie recording series)?
My Home Theatre Project

Quad Tuner 7MC box now replaced by 2x TiVo's HD's by order of the Wife!

dJOS

I noticed this is happening to the cricket & Tennis too:

Cricket: 2008/2009 Test Series

Tennis: The Hopman Cup XXI (2009)

A classic example of you guy's getting it right is the American NFL eg:

Title: NFL Season
SubTitle: "2008 NFC Wildcard Playoff - TBA v TBA"
Description: The National Football League is 89 seasons old and still going strong. This year's theme is "Believe in Now". In 1920, eleven teams got together and started a competition in America's favourite sport ... yeah, even more than baseball. It can command the presence of 67,000 ardent fans at every game! The current competition fields thirty two teams. (HDTV)
My Home Theatre Project

Mitch IceGuide

I agree with the Dakar Rally assessment but not with the Cricket. We're not going to make just one title of 'Cricket' and anything cricket related becomes an episode of that. Many people simply want (in this example from you) to record all test cricket of this 08/09 series. It's hardly a burden to scan the guides once a year for cricket fans. There are always guidlines but no one rule applies to all. Fact is, there are many, many more examples where we have slowly changed the system - as promised. That includes many 'Awards' annual telecasts. So as far as 'ballsing up' - I think it's a fairly hefty exagerration. We appreciate your support DJOS and many suggestions, but let's keep it reasonable.

dJOS

ok, I'll concede on the cricket.  :D

Thanks Mitch, I do appreciate it when you guy's respond to customer rants feedback and improve things for us. ;)
My Home Theatre Project

Mitch IceGuide

Thanks for understanding. Just a thought ... and I don't really want to set precendents here (if you know what I mean), but maybe you could forward your ideal format for the various series. I know you have previously, but if you've the time and inclination, I'd appreciate your fresh / revised input. As you obviously know more about NASCAR than anyone here and given other information is sketchy at best. I don't think the broadcaster even knows what's really on. So many strange names and sponsors etc etc. At least on here others can give their thoughts / opinion on what you come up with. We WILL get NASCAR right this year :) Cheers.

dJOS

Thanks Mitch, here is my proposed NASCAR Formatting - keep in mind there are 2 series shown here in Aus + a weekly Highlights Package for each Series:

Title:  Motor Sport: NASCAR Nationwide Series
Subtitle:  2009 Camping World 300 at Daytona International Speedway
Description: NASCAR Nationwide Series for 2009 starts in Daytona with Camping World 300.

and

Title: Motor Sport: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
Subtitle: 2009 Daytona 500 at Daytona International Speedway
Description: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series for 2009 starts with the classic Daytona 500.

With the weekly "highlights packages", can I suggest that you make these 2 totally different series eg:

Title:  Motor Sport: NASCAR Nationwide Series - Highlights
Subtitle: Highlights from the 2009 Camping World 300 at Daytona International Speedway
Description: 1 Hour Highlights package from the NASCAR Nationwide Series from the Camping World 300.

and

Title: Motor Sport: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series - Highlights
Subtitle: Highlights from the 2009 Daytona 500 at the Daytona International Speedway
Description: 1 Hour Highlights package from the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series classic Daytona 500.

Because some races aren't shown that weekend so the highlights package the next week is in fact the only showing of that race

The Sprint Cup Series Schedule is here:
http://www.nascar.com/races/cup/2009/data/schedule.html

and the Nationwide Series Schedule is here:
http://www.nascar.com/races/bg/2009/data/schedule.html

and these 2 pages contain the US date of the race, the Venue (e.g. Daytona International Speedway), the name of the Event (e.g. Camping World 300 presented by Chevrolet) + if you click on each track it will give you a ton of useful info like "Track History" & who won the previous year, Track Records etc.

To be honest tho imo there really isn't much need to put too much info into the description, just keep it simple e.g. "NASCAR Nationwide Series for 2008 starts in Daytona for the Camping World 300"

EDIT: put wrong NNWS schedule link in - now for 2009. :D
My Home Theatre Project

dJOS

Btw, one thing that happened on at least 3 occasions last year was Guide entries for Nascar Races being split into 2 sequential entries "saturday race" & "sunday Race" for the one event (usually nationwide race).

This never ever happens, the Saturday race is the Nationwide Series and the Sunday Race is the Sprint Cup Series, both are distinct series just like over here the "V8Supercars Series" isn't the same series as the "Fujitsu V8 Series". the Nascar Nationwide series is the "junior" NASCAR category just like the Fujitsu Series is the Junior V8SC category over here.

Hope this helps, if you would like anymore info please let me know.

PS. there is a ton of great info on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationwide_Series
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprint_Cup_Series
My Home Theatre Project

dJOS

I Just updated Post #5 as I put the wrong NASCAR Nationwide Series schedule link in - now it's for 2009.  ;D
My Home Theatre Project

Mitch IceGuide

I appreciate your help on this one. I shall get someone to comb through what you've done and work on a format. Cheers.

dJOS

Quote from: Mitch IceGuide on January 04, 2009, 03:28:00 PM
I appreciate your help on this one. I shall get someone to comb through what you've done and work on a format. Cheers.

No probs Mitch, happy to help.  8)
My Home Theatre Project

blacklung

Quote from: djos on December 30, 2008, 08:02:13 PM
A classic example of you guy's getting it right is the American NFL eg:

SubTitle: "2008 NFC Wildcard Playoff - TBA v TBA"

I much appreciate this.
One problem with NFL tho is that a playoff game was shown on TenHD in Perth on Sunday at midday that did not show up on Interactive. I only got the last part of the game by luck.
There is another one scheduled to show on TenHD next Sunday (listed on the ten.com.au) and again it's not listed on Interactive

dJOS

Yeah that happened to me too, my Media Center missed it and was going to ignore another one too - I had to delete the series and recreate it for some reason?  ???
My Home Theatre Project

blacklung

My 'upcoming shows' now show NFL playoffs on Sunday.
Thanks IceTV

Mitch IceGuide

I have no idea how the NFL appears to have 'fixed iteself'. I'll run it past the tech guys. Thanks.

dJOS

Mitch, why is the Super Bowl not part of the "NFL Season"? It isn't a standalone game, it's just like our AFL/NRL grand finals + it has 2009 appended to the title. :(

lucky for me I checked to see why it wasn't in my record list!

Currently It looks like this:

Title: NFL Super Bowl 2009
SubTitle: "Pittsburgh Steelers v Arizona Cardinals"
Description: The Pittsburgh Steelers meet the Arizona Cardinals at Tampa Bay. It promises to be a David and Goliath struggle given that the Steelers have been there before (6 times in fact) and the Cardinals haven't.

Surely it should look like this (as per the NFC & AFC playoffs):

SubTitle: Super Bowl 2009 - "Pittsburgh Steelers v Arizona Cardinals"
Description: The Pittsburgh Steelers meet the Arizona Cardinals at Tampa Bay. It promises to be a David and Goliath struggle given that the Steelers have been there before (6 times in fact) and the Cardinals haven't.

?
My Home Theatre Project