IceTV app for US users

Started by ronafios, August 09, 2008, 01:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronafios

Hi - I have a US iTunes account, but it says that the app is not available through the US itunes store. When I logged out and back in using my Australian account, it wouldn't' allow me to sync the app with my iPhone because it's set up for my US account.  I use IceTV to catch the Australian programs FROM the US, and I'm sure I'm not alone, so perhaps there is some way to make this more widely available (like, to US customers).  Or, has someone found another way to set it up?

Marc

Can you just use your US account, but change the store to Aus then download?

As far as I'm aware there's no region coding on apps, only music and video (due to the regional licensing associated with music and video). I've done this with other free apps in the US store (I have an Aus account) and it seems ok.

Please let me know if that works for you as we might add a support doc with your findings!

Marc

Edit: Please read below for instructions on getting the IceTV iPhone app if you have a US iTunes account.

Russell at IceTV

Update:

Unfortunately it looks like even if you change iTunes to the Australian store (at the bottom of the iTunes store home page), it allows you to view the IceTV app but when you try to download it, it gives the error: "Your account is only valid for purchases in the US iTunes Store."

I was finally able to get it to work though.  The trick is to go into the iTunes store on your computer, and click your email address in the upper right corner to view your account settings.  Then change your country to Australia there.  If you have any outstanding song credits, it'll tell you that you have to use them first, before you can change your country.  Once you've changed the country, it'll walk you through the process of creating a new iTunes store account, including entering your credit card info again (even though the IceTV application is free, you still have to enter valid credit card info to setup the new store account).  I noticed that while entering my credit card info, I had to enter a 4-digit postcode for Australia, as well as select an Australian state from the list provided.  Also, when I entered a US credit card, it rejected it, saying it wasn't valid for Australia (not sure why, it usually works fine).  But after entering a credit card that was issued in Australia, it worked, and created the account.  Then I was finally able to search for "IceTV" (be sure to change to the Australian iTunes store at the bottom of the store home page first), download the app, and sync it to my phone.  :-)

Let us know if you run into any other problems...

Thanks,
Russell

Phil

Unfortunately, switching to the OZ store means US registered iTunes users lose the ability to download US only content, pay more for their content, and lose access to many DRM-free downloads.

That is a heavy price to pay for the iPhone IceTV app.

I'll look forward to you either making it available via the US iTunes store, or distributing the app via a more "open source" friendly system like APT/Cydia ;-)

I guess I'll have to settle for the web UI until you publish on the US store   :-(

Regards,
Phil

Russell at IceTV

Hi Phil,

I think you should be able to create two accounts, one for the Oz store and one for the US store.  Then you should be able to switch to the Oz account to get the IceTV app, and switch back to the US account to get whatever you want from the US store.  I think you should be able to then sync whatever you get from either store to your device, because all apps end up in the same "Applications" list in the iTunes library.

Can you give that a shot?

Thanks,
Russell

ronafios

OK - this seems to work:

- Sync your iPhone, then disconnect it
- Use the 'App Store' icon on your iphone to search for and install IceTV
- Sync your iPhone again and disconnect it
- Log back into your US iTunes account
- Sync your iPhone