Vista MCE Fiji Update

Started by Nigel Roden, August 07, 2008, 09:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moocow

Nigel Roden

Hi Guys,
Just wondering also if there has been any development on this tv pack '08 ice tv support ... even if you could 'throw us a bone' to help keep us a little in the loop as to any developments. I imagine that as the white paper for the update is not out yet, there is not much that can be done? or has been done?
Cheers,
Nigel

impact

Its really getting tiring of this - no answers / no help onbehalf of MS.... So the best thread discussing it is the one that dgaust setup over at;

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/293888.aspx

I think it deserves a daily bump to keep it visible near the top of the list / and also a click on the 5 star rating to help highlight it...

I started the campaign yesterday of a daily bump - someone else can try each day - be creative as you like.... Surely this may annoy or amuse someone enough to actually respond or actually help out...

The next campaign I think would be - a new thread for each posting - we all just go over there and start flooding our problem onto the world... maybe enough statistics can be caused to put this problem higher on the list...

Oh well none of these ideas will work... nothing will... so might just give up and move onto something else...

Nigel Roden

Thanks Impact,
I might just wander over to TGB link you inidicated and do as suggested. Maybe there is strength in numbers? Here's hoping the 'little guys' can make a difference...
I hope someone posts as soon as they get something good? I imagine I am not the 'lone ranger' in this update?
Cheers,
Nigel

moocow

from the looks of TGB thread, there are only a handful who seem to care at the moment :(

come on peoples!

Matt at IceTV

Guys,

Apologies for the lack of response from our end but we are waiting as is any third party EPG provider world wide on Microsoft to release the necessary documentation / information needed to implement non EIT driven EPG data into the new TV Pack / Fiji update to Vista.

We have made some progress in terms of finding the right people from Microsoft to liaise with regarding this and we have been assured that we will be one of the first to receive the information when ready.

As soon as we are shown this we will work very hard to turn around a solution for Australian users.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused. At this stage there simply is no information being provided to work from, so please dont treat our silence as meaning we dont care.

As other members of IceTV have said in this thread... we are treating this very seriously and will work on providing a suitable solution as soon as possible.

Hopefully we wont have to wait too much longer to see this information.

Regards,

mattk
General Manager
IceTV Pty
1300 654 803

wfdonald

Er, could the ties between Nine and Microsoft (I'm presuming the Ninemsn site indicates a tie) be causing problems for third party epg developers? Maybe Nine should bite the bullet and buy out Icetv (might have happened when they used to have money).

Marc

Quote from: wfdonald on October 17, 2008, 03:58:29 PMEr, could the ties between Nine and Microsoft (I'm presuming the Ninemsn site indicates a tie) be causing problems for third party epg developers?
We don't believe so.

dgaust

I wouldn't hold my breath on it happening before the release of Windows 7.

This is a comment from Mike Hayton, who is a Microsoft Team Member and the person who was going to be writing the kb (or at least guide).

QuoteI hit a techincal problem in that the database protection is preventing the loading of the guide data. Its likely that when I release the information, someone will still have to figure out how to break the database protection in order to load the data. I'll work to make sure that Win7 doesnt have this problem.

Full thread is here

The best bet is to avoid TV Pack like the plague, it's not even good enough for a beta release anyway. Of course, this doesn't help those who purchase OEM machines, but if you have the choice, I wouldn't touch it.

moocow

that is very dissapointing!

it's unlikely that its ever going to get resolved.  Win7 is their answer!  What a wank. 

Micro$oft, you have let down users once again. 

Nigel Roden

Hi guys,
No gossip or any news on any devolpments, or is everything just gathering 'dust'? Are we stuck until Windows 7 release for any support as suggested?

Nigel Roden

Hi everyone,
Another small step...

http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/community/windows-7-discussion-suggestions/33133-windows-7-media-centre-screenshots-3.html#post226299

Slowly but surely. I hope the document detailing the changes comes soon so we can get support for the tvpack.

Cheers,
Nigel

Marc

Thanks Nigel. It really helps getting links like that.

dgaust

Quote from: Nigel Roden on October 31, 2008, 05:04:46 PM
Hi everyone,
Another small step...

http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/community/windows-7-discussion-suggestions/33133-windows-7-media-centre-screenshots-3.html#post226299

Slowly but surely. I hope the document detailing the changes comes soon so we can get support for the tvpack.

Cheers,
Nigel

Remember that to get it working in TV Pack, someone will need to crack the encryption on the guide database.... there's a bug in TV Pack that prevents the data being loading via MS's own tool. The bugs been fixed in Windows 7, but won't be fixed in TV Pack.

For mine, it wouldn't be worth the effort putting a lot of effort into developing a solution for TV Pack....

Nigel Roden

So where does that leave us with icetv support? Does it mean that icetv guide data won't be supported in vista tv pack 2008?
It seems as though icetv guide data support won't be working until windows 7?
The bug seems to be a cracker if it prevents the loading of 3rd party guide data!