Recommendations and one-off shows

Started by prl, July 07, 2008, 02:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prl

Recommendations appear to work at least passably well - there's nothing in my current recommendations that I haven't watched at some time, or that I wouldn't at least consider watching, but it never seems to recommend anything but series.

Is that by design, or is it just coincidence (or lack of close observation) that means that I've never seen a recommendation for any one-off show? Movie recommendations could be quite useful for me.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

Marc

All showsâ€"be it one off, daily news, or weekly seriesâ€"are treated the same. Having said that, maybe there's a way we can make things work a little better for one off shows.

This is a big reason why we created Most Popular today and Most Popular this week... a single popular episode of a show or a movie will spike quite easily if a lot of people are recording it. I realise that's not linked to your personal viewing habits though.

So... feedback noted. Thanks!

prl

Maybe it's a bad time for movies, but there are no movies in the current first 5 pages of "most popular this week", and none in the first two pages of "most popular today", but then there are no prime time movies tonight (the entry on the third page is for a movie that has already been broadcast today).

The EPG is really the only way I can find out about all the movies, because the Canberra Times printed guide that we get still has nothing about commercial HD multicasting.

Anyway, thanks for looking into whether suggestions for one-offs can be improved.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

prl

I still have never had a one-off show recommended to me by IceTV Recommendations.

Twitch has noticed the same on the Beyonwiz forum.

Has anyone ever been recommended a one-off program, like a movie?
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

prl

I still have never seen a recommendation for anything but a series.

I've recorded all of the movies so far in the Hitchcock season showing on ABC2 (20:35) Saturdays, and even that doesn't seem to have prompted the Recommendations system into thinking that I might want to see the rest of the season.

I ask again, has anyone, ever, had a once-off show, like a movie, recommended to them by the IceTV Recommendations system?

A related question - just what is it that constitutes a series in IceTV, and is it possible to see whether a particular program showing is part of a series? I just set a series timer for Frenzy (20:35 Saturday Oct 18). Will this actually record the whole Hitchcock season on ABC2, or just that movie showing?

Is a "one-off" show in IceTV merely a "series" with one episode? Why do one-off shows have "series" options?

Another issue on Recommendations: why does the Recommendations system only show some of my Favorites and Recordings? I've always been of the opinion that if I've got something marked as a Favorite or as a Recording, then I don't need IceTV to tell me that I might like to watch it. But if does it show some Recommendations and Recordings, why does it not show others?

Is it trying to tell me that I actually don't like some of the shows I have marked as Favorites?  :o
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use