Why are the IceTV schedules so inaccurate?

Started by inx13, September 06, 2008, 11:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inx13

I have tried to use the IceTV schedule to set and forget the recording of a TV show, however, the times are way out and you either loose the end of a show or the beginning. Firstly, how can you charge a premium for a service that is so inaccurate that it fails to deliver and secondly, how come this issue is never discussed in the forums? Are we so used to be controlled by Australian commercial TV stations and their blatant disrespect for our intelligence, or as we as stupid as they think we are? IceTV - I am as always - disappointed in you.

Marc

Hi,

It's true, generally the EPG doesn't reflect the exact start and end times of shows. A show might be listed as starting at 8:00PM and finishing at 8:30PM, but the station might actually play it from 8:10PM to 8:45PM.

The reason you don't see people discussing it on the forums is because most people have "padding" automatically applied to all their recordings. Padding adds time to the start and end, giving you a large margin for error.

It's described here: http://www.icetv.com.au/about/padding.shtml
And here: http://www.icetv.com.au/cgi-bin/websupport.cgi?op=show_faq&faq_id=128&faq_cat_id=24
And in a few other support documents (please let me know what type of PVR/device you're using to record and I'll point you in the right direction).

Please note that this is a feature of your PVR, Mac or Media Center PC, not IceTV (notable exception: Windows Media Center, where our software can add up to 60 mins padding).

I personally have 3 mins pre-padding added to the start of recordings and 30 mins post-padding on the end. That might sound extreme, but it's normal for stations to run 10-15 mins late, especially in the evening. Once you have padding set up, chances are you won't miss anything. It's also worth noting that our EPG will never be able to predict the exact start and end times of shows, nor will any other EPG. Luckily it doesn't matter at all.

csutak40

Quote from: Marc-IceTV on September 07, 2008, 01:33:12 AM
(notable exception: Windows Media Center, where our software can add up to 60 mins padding).

I personally have 3 mins pre-padding added to the start of recordings and 30 mins post-padding on the end. That might sound extreme, but it's normal for stations to run 10-15 mins late, especially in the evening. Once you have padding set up, chances are you won't miss anything. It's also worth noting that our EPG will never be able to predict the exact start and end times of shows, nor will any other EPG. Luckily it doesn't matter at all.

This is an OT question, but it is something I been wanting to ask, and this seems the right place.  I, too, have padding on everything but it often creates a problem with Media Centre.  If there are two shows set to record (even on the same channel, even if it is two episodes of the same show) the padding of the first show means that it "clashes" with the second show, hence it doesn't record.  Is there a trick to fix this? 
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

Marc

csutak40: I'll have to leave that one for someone with more Media Center specific knowledge (either an IceTV support member or Media Center user).

JPP

Quote from: Marc-IceTV on September 07, 2008, 01:33:12 AM
.........................The reason you don't see people discussing it on the forums is because most people have "padding" automatically applied to all their recordings. Padding adds time to the start and end, giving you a large margin for error................
Please note that this is a feature of your PVR, Mac or Media Center PC, not IceTV (notable exception: Windows Media Center, where our software can add up to 60 mins padding).
Hi Marc,

I think you have pre-empted a question I was going to ask on this subject. I was going to propose that it would be nice if we could add pre and post padding via the Web or Widget. This is possible now on the TiVo via the Web Yahoo Guide/Recording interface. I thought that the timers produced by ICETV were sent to the PVR, in my case a Wiz, as a string of text, mimicking a manual timer entry on the Wiz. From your description, it sounds like just a flag is sent to the Wiz to tell it to generate a timer from the EPG data that is on the Wiz at the time the timer flag is sent.

This would imply that if there is no EPG present at the time the flag is sent, no timer could be created. Is my understanding on how it all works correct? How is a change of time handled under these circumstances?
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

tonymy01

I don't think that is how they are created, they are created as name, time & duration still.   Luckily you have a Beyonwiz, which does a fine job of padding (e.g back to back recordings are allowed on the same channel with no issues of a "pre padded" timer effectively blocking the ability to create a timer for the next show).
This is the main reason why pre-padding would be difficult, as you might create timers for shows at different times of the week, and once a padded (pre padded, not soft padded like the Wiz) timer is setup it will effectively block the adjacent timeslots.
Regards
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

ivovic

The issue isn't the schedule, it's the TV stations purposely running shows off schedule.

They *CAN* keep to advertised times, they just specifically choose not to, so that by the time one show finishes, you miss the start of a show on another network.  You watch them get most of the morning on time though, and the evening news.  Those they can do for some reason.

I think we follow the brits and complain LOUDLY until we get some joy on this issue.  It's downright RUDE to play anti-competitive games with the little downtime people get these days.  If you want to be the number 1 network, put on the best shows... stop playing games.

The HD channels are the worst at this... but of the commercial channels, Ten is at least predictable, which is more than I can say for Seven and Nein.

As a side note, can the idiots with ratings boxes please raise their hands?  I don't feel particularly well represented.  Do you?

Matt at IceTV

Quote from: ivovic on September 22, 2008, 07:51:11 PM
As a side note, can the idiots with ratings boxes please raise their hands?  I don't feel particularly well represented.  Do you?

What about our own ratings with IceTV's Most Popular?

It would be great to get some feedback on what everyone thinks.

We know that the information is based on the TV shows that IceTV users set to record and or have as Favourites so some could argue how accurate they are as a ratings indicator... but then again... we are an independent company.

At present we have the following as the Top 5 Most Popular shows for the year... but this is constantly changing.

1. Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
2. Underbelly
3. Top Gear
4. Scrapheap Challenge
5. Grand Designs

Go to IceTV's Most Popular to see other results such as Most Popular Today, Most Popular this Week and the Most Popular New Series.

We hope that it is a great way for IceTV users to find out about shows that they may have been missing (just like IceTV Recommendations) and then have the ability to quickly and easily set them to record onto your device at home, whenever and from wherever you like.

It would be great to hear what you guys think.

Regards,

Matt

General Manager
IceTV Pty
1300 654 803

tonymy01

Yep, I like that feature.   I tried to use this as an argument against Neins ludicrous court case that they can *gain* valuable info out of ICE about what people *really* watch, rather than trying to kill ICE and then learn nothing, but was laughed off when I suggested this.   Also without ICEtv guide info for the litigous broadcasters, we are less likely to watch shows from said broadcaster, which they would learn when seeing their shows dissapearing from the "popular shows" lists in ICEtv.   And the reason for Terminator2 TSCC being #1:  Because the clowns kept moving it, it was the only way to ensure it would be recorded by setting it up in interactive (not to mention interactive with the Beyonwiz came live about that time).
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).