Interactive and DP-S1 Standby...

Started by mtb, July 07, 2008, 12:13:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtb

Just got ourselves one of these boxes, updated the firmware and it's all ready to go with Interactive - seems to work well, all loaded with EPG and timers from the on-line guide.

But... what I can't find out anywhere (so far) is if I need to leave the thing switched on or can it be on standby for Interactive to work?  I presume it must poll Ice about every 15 minutes to update the timers (going by the "How long does it take to remotely schedule a show?" article) but can it do this while in standby?
Beyonwiz DP-P2, Epson EH-TW5500, Pioneer VSXLX52 & BDP-320, Screen Technics 100” screen, WD Live TV x2, 6Tb NAS (Linux)
Beyonwiz DP-S1, VIERA TH-42PA60A
HTC Desire (rooted) Froyo
Topfield 5000MP

tonymy01

Presumably you aren't constantly adding and changing ICEguide timers?   So I have a daily wakeup timer setup for my Wiz that comes on at 4am for 15mins, this is enough for it to contact ice to see if there is any new timers for 5 or 6 days ahead (as ice tends to set timers for about up to 5days ahead).
And obviously while I am watching TV at night it will of course occassionally poll the ICE server checking for any new timers.
Regards
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

mtb

Yeah, I wondered about a non-recording timer set early morning (learnt from the Toppy, hi again!) but was wondering about what to do about the unanticipated recording situation - you leave the unit on standby and go to work, then somebody mentions some show you fancy watching but it will be on before you get home.  From what you're saying (and my own thoughts) the unit would not pickup the new timer until it is switched on by a person or some other timer, so is likely to miss the new recording.

I guess it would be possible to set multiple non-record timers during the day to cover - say at two hour intervals - would they have to be 15 minutes long though?
Beyonwiz DP-P2, Epson EH-TW5500, Pioneer VSXLX52 & BDP-320, Screen Technics 100” screen, WD Live TV x2, 6Tb NAS (Linux)
Topfield 5000MP

prl

Quote from: mtb on July 07, 2008, 12:43:44 AM
I guess it would be possible to set multiple non-record timers during the day to cover - say at two hour intervals - would they have to be 15 minutes long though?

The BW tries to update its timers immediately on bootup. This will normally succeed provided that it's been more than 15 minutes (or whatever the current poll interval is) since the BW last polled IceTV. If you want to let it have two tries at the poll, make the timer a bit longer than the poll interval (say 20 minutes if the poll interval is 15 minutes).
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

mtb

Ok.  So basically the unit will not poll in standby so setting a number of 20 minute View timers during the day would provide some cover for the situation I suggested - I've put them in at 10:00, 13:00,16:00 and 03:00 for now and will tweak as required.

I presume that the EPG polls from the BW via Interactive will not interfere (use up) all the 12 permitted daily polls of the EPG data used by my toppy via TED/S?

Thansk for your help, fellas.
Topfield 5000MP

prl

Quote from: mtb on July 07, 2008, 11:37:46 AM
So basically the unit will not poll in standby ...

Beyonwiz probably made an unfortunate choice of names in calling this state "standby". For folk with a Windows PC, the Beyonwiz Standby is actually equivalent to the Windows Shut Down state, not its Standby or Hibernate.

When the Beyonwiz is in Standby, the main board, internal disk drives, tuners and network are all powered down. The only thing powered up is part of the power supply and the front panel. Main memory has has been cleared. The front panel has a timer used to bring the Beyonwiz out of Standby for recordings, etc. It has no Wake On Lan or anything else other than the wakeup timer, front panel buttons and the remote that can bring it out of Standby.

When it comes out of Standby, its operating system and applications are all started afresh. The only information carried across Standby is what's in attached drives and memory cards, and in the configuration partitions of its flash memory.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

mtb

I'd guessed that it was in a powered down state but was unsure if it might have a background task which polled the network without doing a full power on - clearly not.  Never mind, the timers are a reasonable alternative.  Thanks again.

p.s. Not just Windows... Linux can have the same equivalent states!
Topfield 5000MP