HD episode numbers

Started by BigMick, July 06, 2008, 06:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMick

Hi All,

I'm a SageTV user - normally just want SD TV but have started adding the odd HD channel... I was surprised to see in the guide that the same show had a different episode number on HD and SD which means Sage now wants to record both of them! I'm presuming if they had the same number then Sage would only record one and treat the other as a repeat, I'm not 100% sure how I'd get it to prefer the HD one over SD, but anyway.... just wondering if someone could fill me in with some more background behind the episode numbering

Thanks

BigMick

Well after a quick poke around the Sage forums and a test on my own machine I've found out that if the airing is marked as "HD" then Sage will automatically record it in preference to the SD version (unless it cant due to a conflict). So it would seem the HD shows should have the same episode number - would like to know why it's not being done this way in the ice guide?
Thanks

BigMick

Well I'm back here again and still with the same problem - would love a response from ICE TV and/or comments from others on this issue. What I'd like to know is why the same show, when shown on SD and HD channels has a different episode number?

For example my Media PC (SageTV) is currently happily recording the Brisbane Internation tennis in duplicate - once off Prime and once off Prime HD - when I look at the guide data, it's easy to see why:

<programme start="20090106003000 +0000" stop="20090106063000 +0000" channel="127">
<title lang="en">Tennis: Brisbane International</title>
<sub-title lang="en">2009 - Day Two</sub-title>
<desc lang="en">The Pat Rafter Arena hosts clashes between the best of the best; Ana Ivanovic meets Petra Kvitova, Fernando Verdasco takes on Bernard Tomic, am Stosur&apos;s original match with Maria Kirilenko has been rescheduled due to Kirilenko&apos;s illness and she will now play Agi Sugiyama. Other matches include Marcos Baghdati against Jarrko Nieminen, and then there&apos;s the Jelena Dokic, Amelie Mauresmo match which should be a humdinger. .</desc>
<category lang="en">Sport</category>
<category lang="en">Tennis</category>
<episode-num system="icetv">80744361</episode-num>
</programme>

<programme start="20090106003000 +0000" stop="20090106063000 +0000" channel="175">
<title lang="en">Tennis: Brisbane International</title>
<sub-title lang="en">2009 - Day Two</sub-title>
<desc lang="en">The Pat Rafter Arena hosts clashes between the best of the best; Ana Ivanovic meets Petra Kvitova, Fernando Verdasco takes on Bernard Tomic, am Stosur&apos;s original match with Maria Kirilenko has been rescheduled due to Kirilenko&apos;s illness and she will now play Agi Sugiyama. Other matches include Marcos Baghdati against Jarrko Nieminen, and then there&apos;s the Jelena Dokic, Amelie Mauresmo match which should be a humdinger. .</desc>
<category lang="en">Sport</category>
<category lang="en">Tennis</category>
<episode-num system="icetv">80744437</episode-num>
</programme>

In my opinion these shows are the same episode and therefore should have the same episode number. This allows the media center to schedule accordingly and choose only one instance to record.

Mitch IceGuide

Hi Mick. Our technical guys are looking at this issue. I would have thought your assumptions were fair enough too. Let's see what they come up with. Thanks for being patient.

BigMick

Thanks for the reply Mitch... not sure if this is right, but I'm assuming some of the more popular HTPC software (in Oz anyway) is just using the title/subtitles to distinguish episodes as otherwise this problem would be more widely reported. Either that or everyone is forcing their recordings to a specific channel only. Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing their thoughts on the issue. Cheers, Mick

Mitch IceGuide

Yah good tip. We'll get to the bottom of it. Cheers.

Russell at IceTV

Hi Mick, sorry for the delay on this.

We've changed the numbering we use now, and think it should fix the problem you were seeing.  Please give it a try and let us know how it works for you.

Thanks for reporting it,
Russell

BigMick

Thanks Russell - that's good news - I'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes! Cheers