Interactive Timers Don't Adjust for Changes in Scheduling

Started by bruiser333, June 10, 2008, 11:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bruiser333

Hi,

I wondering if anyone from Ice can confirm how Interactive should manage timers where a change in scheduling affects a timer?
On my Beyonwiz DP-P1, I had a timer created from a series recording. It appears the schedule changed and the episode was pulled, however the timer remained and the replacement show was recorded.

Will Interactive adjust when shows are pulled, start times change etc, or once the timer has been sent to the device, is that it?

Cheers,

Bruce

richardp

I often find that the Ice Guide is wrong because of schedule changes. I can look at various online guides and see that there are changes, but the Ice Guide on my PVR as well as the widget don't seem to update with the changes. I haven't really used series recordings yet but I have recorded shows based on the Ice Guide on my PVR only to find that the show was moved to a different timeslot or something. I would expect a paid service to remain up to date and reflect any changes in scheduling up to a couple hours before the fact.

j s

Quote from: richardp on June 11, 2008, 11:29:16 AM
I often find that the Ice Guide is wrong because of schedule changes. I can look at various online guides and see that there are changes, but the Ice Guide on my PVR as well as the widget don't seem to update with the changes. I haven't really used series recordings yet but I have recorded shows based on the Ice Guide on my PVR only to find that the show was moved to a different timeslot or something. I would expect a paid service to remain up to date and reflect any changes in scheduling up to a couple hours before the fact.
This isn't really what Bruiser333 was saying. In his instance the IceTV EPG was updated in a timely manner but the timer created by Interactive earlier wasn't adjusted to reflect the new timeslot.

Until the networks are forced to make public announcements of scheduling changes it will remain difficult for Ice to be 100% accurate with last-minute schedule changes but your issue with that would be better lodged in the EPG Content forum.

richardp

Quote from: j s on June 11, 2008, 07:02:01 PM
This isn't really what Bruiser333 was saying. In his instance the IceTV EPG was updated in a timely manner but the timer created by Interactive earlier wasn't adjusted to reflect the new timeslot.

Until the networks are forced to make public announcements of scheduling changes it will remain difficult for Ice to be 100% accurate with last-minute schedule changes but your issue with that would be better lodged in the EPG Content forum.

I know what Bruiser333 was saying. However, both issues are related. Although in this case the EPG was updated, there are many times that it is not. It no longer just means that the EPG is slightly inaccurate, now it means that timers could be missed. So obviously the timer update problem needs to be fixed but without an accurate EPG, there will be little point.

Also, my other point was that if other free online guides can be updated in a timely manner, why is the Ice EPG (a paid service) often not updated?

j s

Quote from: richardp on June 12, 2008, 11:38:22 AM
Also, my other point was that if other free online guides can be updated in a timely manner, why is the Ice EPG (a paid service) often not updated?
Have you been following the legal battles between IceTV and the Nine Network at all? Even a cursory reading of the basics in the news media?

The TV networks pro-actively tell the "other" online program guides (in practical terms they are all based on the same source data) of scheduling changes but they refuse to tell IceTv. This means that Ice only finds out if a regular check reveals the change or a subscriber (like you or me) informs them.

GarFin

Quote from: j s on June 18, 2008, 05:09:26 PM
The TV networks pro-actively tell the "other" online program guides ... but they refuse to tell IceTv.

Then maybe IceTV should pro-actively monitor the "other" online program guides ... ??

Heck, an application could strip the data from those "other" guides, compare, and flag the descrepencies, for IceTV support personel to make a judgement call on.

Gary

Quote from: GarFin on June 25, 2008, 11:17:16 AM
Quote from: j s on June 18, 2008, 05:09:26 PM
The TV networks pro-actively tell the "other" online program guides ... but they refuse to tell IceTv.

Then maybe IceTV should pro-actively monitor the "other" online program guides ... ??

Heck, an application could strip the data from those "other" guides, compare, and flag the descrepencies, for IceTV support personel to make a judgement call on.
That of course would be illegal as the guides use copyrighted data and would cause IceTV much greater problems than they already face.

RubberChicken

Quote from: bruiser333 on June 10, 2008, 11:46:39 PM
Hi,

I wondering if anyone from Ice can confirm how Interactive should manage timers where a change in scheduling affects a timer?
On my Beyonwiz DP-P1, I had a timer created from a series recording. It appears the schedule changed and the episode was pulled, however the timer remained and the replacement show was recorded.

Will Interactive adjust when shows are pulled, start times change etc, or once the timer has been sent to the device, is that it?

Cheers,

Bruce

I've had a number of instances of this now. The scheduled series recording becomes set for the replacement show/s that is now visible in the Interactive Guide. The timer is set under the new name both online and on Beyonwiz. So if the guide knows my show is not on, why does it set a timer on interactive to record the replacement? I'm wondering if the timer is shunted to the Beyonwiz before the change, then the guide changes, maybe the timer is shunted back to Interactive. How else could it end up as a timer on interactive that I never set? The timer is specified by name not time.

Frankly I don't know why the timers are shunted through to the beyonwiz so far ahead of recording time, more likely to encounter a scheduling change I would have thought - how about a preference we can set?