what happens if you request eyetv and pimp both to record the same programme ?

Started by sunfish, May 18, 2008, 10:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunfish

for a while I was getting duplicate shows recorded from prompted recordings . Now I only use eyetv and not pimp.
What would happen was I was using PIMP but several shows didn't get recorded so I became paranoid and started using eyetv to double check that a show would be recorded .
Seemed like sometimes i would get the same show recorded twice other times it would only be recorded singly despite icetv and eyetv being instructed to record .
By duplicate i mean the same show being recorded on two separate recordings simultaneously . I am using using elegato diversity .
I didn't really care if a show was recorded in duplicate except that it mean that a spare eyetv receiver was used up if i had wanted to record another show on another channel simultaneously .

An answer to this question might also be of use to persons who are away from home and can't remember whether they requested a recording using eyetv or not . If they use pimp and they did request with eyetv will they end up with a duplicate .
thanks for any response .

Marc

My experience has been the same as yours: EyeTV will record two copies of the program, using up two tuners. Elgato could probably make it smart enough to work out they're the same program and only record once.

Might be a good feature to suggest to Elgato.

sunfish

thanks for your reply , I will email elgato. I wonder if eyetv 3 has sorted this out ?

Marc

I'm running EyeTV 3.0.2 (the latest version), so I don't think it has been resolved.

sunfish

thanks again for letting me know this detail . marc . one reason not to upgrade .

sunfish

so does eyetv still go into a 3 minute colored spinning ball (like it does in eyetv 2) when it checks your account status if you open the guide pane of the eyetv prefs ? this annoys the hell out of me if i do this accidentally . And is mildly annoying at other times too .

Marc

EyeTV 3.0.2 has been great in my experience. I'd love it to have proper series recording (based on the IceTV series IDs), but apart from that I haven't noticed any issues causing the dreaded OS X beach ball. I don't use the Mac for anything else though, so it's pretty much just a clean Leopard install with EyeTV working away.

Please do report any issues to Elgato. They seen very keen on patching problems.

sunfish

a friend just bought an elgato product which gave her a copy of eyetv3 .
You still get a prolonged spinning ball if you open the eyetv preferences and the guide panel of the preferences pane is the first panel to open or if you clik on it by choice . I believe this is because eyetv is checking & verifying your account and its status with icetv subscriber database. Its at least 45 seconds .
I understand that what is happening here may be out of icetv's control as they are working with an independantly developed application.& this must in general add another layer of complexity to their programming task. However naturally enough we all hate spinning balls as they mean you can no longer work with the given application until the ball has stopped spinning.
To encounter this on a regular basis because of  a predictable but sometimes non-evadable reason I find quite frustrating.
About the only positive thing that can be said about the whole experience is eyetv appears to have some kind of memory about your status as if you come back to the pane a short time later you don't get the spinning ball again . Not sure how long this wonderful effect last for ! But it makes one wonder if eyetv can remember your account status for a short time , why can't it also remember for a long time ?

sunfish

yes i received a detailed and reasonably prompt reply from elgato to a query I had about freezes i was experiencing sometimes when exporting files from eyetv .

I find the whole EyeTv IceTv experience brilliant but frustrating . The quality of the recorded video is amazing. The convenience and intuitive experience of the software and web interface is great. Being able to export the files in varied formats is also very good. Having the files saved with an already given name is a real time saver. The editing capabilities are quite good , though ito be able to split a file into seperate parts would be make it even better. As a work around for this i duplicate the file in the finder and double clik the file it will then be added to the "recording" playlist. I then rename the duplicate inside eyetv and split the original and the duplicate by deleting the unwanted segments of each . This works where one long file has recorded several different programes and you want to keep both of them with seperate title names for the two different shows . . 
However it is very disappointing if a planned recording of a hot show fails to happen or if a recording is made at the right time but of the wrong channel. Unfortunately this has been my experience on a few occasions when i use icetv to program recordings. It doesn't happen when you use EyeTv to do such.
Now I am finding that icetv isn't updating abc1 as far ahead as some of the other station's . Hopefully support can help with this. I can't figure out the cause , Icetv is obviously working as all other stations update their schedules several days ahead but abc1 won't. lucky to have 24hours showning ahead of its schedule .

Thanks very much  for your diligence in keeping an eye on posts in this forum . You seem to be everywhere.