"Future Programming" enhancement.

Started by j s, May 13, 2008, 11:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j s

On the assumption that IceTV adds new ("coming soon") programs to its database when they are announced even if they haven't been scheduled yet would it be possible to have a way of searching for these and setting up a series recording to catch them when they do start.  This would also apply to series in recess (between seasons). It's annoying to have to wait till they appear in the weekly guide before a series can be defined.

marcusstringer

Marcus
Twitter: @MarcusStringer
www.midlandtypsetters.com.au

martymonster

I was thinking the same thing myself.

Vortical

tonymy01

I have found the only way of capturing series that aren't on this week that I want to ensure will be captured is to go to the "Most Popular" list and choose "most popular this year" and setting a series recording from that (e.g "The 4400", e.g. "Terminator: TSCC").  However, in the absence of those shows being on at the moment I have no idea if this trick works or not yet.   In the widget my "My Guide" (or "My Shows" webpage) looks fine, with red filled series dots against the shows listed.   But that doesn't help if the show hasn't aired yet, or the show I want to record isn't all that popular :-)
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

j s

Quote from: tonymy01 on May 13, 2008, 09:33:36 PM
I have found the only way of capturing series that aren't on this week that I want to ensure will be captured is to go to the "Most Popular" list and choose "most popular this year" and setting a series recording from that (e.g "The 4400", e.g. "Terminator: TSCC").  However, in the absence of those shows being on at the moment I have no idea if this trick works or not yet.   In the widget my "My Guide" (or "My Shows" webpage) looks fine, with red filled series dots against the shows listed.   But that doesn't help if the show hasn't aired yet, or the show I want to record isn't all that popular :-)
How did you get that to work Tony?

I was able to do it with Doctor Who because repeats are currently showing on ABC2 but I tried with Heroes (as a test) and no recording options were available.

prl

Quote from: j s on May 14, 2008, 02:40:37 PM
Quote from: tonymy01 on May 13, 2008, 09:33:36 PM
How did you get that to work Tony?

I was able to do it with Doctor Who because repeats are currently showing on ABC2 but I tried with Heroes (as a test) and no recording options were available.

I think all you can do is add them as a Favorite, then if the series comes on again it will appear in My Upcoming Shows when it gets into the IceTV schedule as a current program. That is where a notification would be useful if an inactive show can't be scheduled for recording.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

Marc

Marc

We've partially implemented this now... if you do a search from either the home page or TV guide it'll search the next 7 days and if there's no results it'll search by either the title or title and series description on our database, then show the results (there's a message that's displayed to let you know that the search didn't find something in the next 7 days, but it did find something).

Searching for "californication" is a good example of it in action.

From there you can add the show as a favourite or get to the series information page with upcoming shows (although there won't be any!) and comments. We haven't added the ability to set a series record yet, but that is planned with some other improvements we're working on.

GarFin

Quote from: marc@iSlayer on May 21, 2008, 02:07:53 PM
We've partially implemented this now... Searching for "californication" is a good example of it in action.

FYI: There is a spelink mistook in the button "Series Details and Upcomming Eppisodes"

Marc

Its alll mooch betar nowh. thunks.  :)

smaka

All these enhancements are great.  This is the sort of "value add" that makes IceTV stand out.

One enhancement I would like to see is a list of brand new shows/series that are starting each week or are returning in a new series.  Quite often I end up missing the first episode of a new show simply because I didn't realise that it was on.

smaka

Marc

That would be good.

We have Most Popular New Series, but you'd have to watch that like a hawk to find a new series the first week it's showing.

smaka

Yes - you could pick up quite a lot of new shows using the existing Interactive features, but it would require a bit of time and effort and even then it probably wouldn't get them all.

The New Shows list could be another option as part of Interactive/widget etc.  You would still need to look at it each week, so maybe this sort of feature would work well as a subscription mailing list - so that it pops into your inbox each week.

and while I am rambling along this path, using genre categories to break the list down - so I could break the list down into genres.

smaka

prl

Quote from: smaka on July 30, 2008, 10:42:03 AM
maybe this sort of feature would work well as a subscription mailing list - so that it pops into your inbox each week.
I think it would be a useful addition to the automatic notification suggestion I made a couple of days ago.
Quote from: smaka on July 30, 2008, 10:42:03 AM
and while I am rambling along this path, using genre categories to break the list down - so I could break the list down into genres.

smaka
Or maybe just let the suggestions algorithm loose to do the selection.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing