Keyword Searches and Notifications

Started by parki, May 13, 2008, 09:29:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prl

Quote from: Vortical on November 30, 2008, 07:16:06 PM
Quote from: prl on November 30, 2008, 02:24:16 PM
It seems that "Prefer High Definition" actually means "Use High Definition, No Matter What!"

This is an extract from the help on Keyword Recording/Favourites
QuoteQuality.
Setting the quality to “Standard Definition” will record only the standard definition version of the show if both a standard definition and high definition broadcast exists. If no standard definition version exists then the show will not record.

Setting the quality to “Prefer High Definition” will record only the high definition version of the show if both a standard definition and high definition broadcast exists. If only a standard definition version exists, then it will record.

As I understand it, it should only record SD if a HD version of the program doesn't exist.

Yes, Gary explained that the IceTV EPG on the Web site and in the Widget contains entries for SBS HD. The behaviour to that extent is explained. What isn't explained is why my Beyonwiz has no EPG for SBS HD.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

mtb

Quote from: Marc-IceTV on November 19, 2008, 06:47:11 PM
Hopefully you'll all find it's powerful enough for almost anything.
I have just found one example of where regular expressions (or similar) would be preferable... I tried to search the guide for ER (I'm trying to see why it recorded both channels, the same has happened for a couple of other programmes lately).

Try searching for ER and you get over 200 results because you cannot indicate the start and end of search terms.  Yes this is only one (extreme) example but perhaps you could add some "match whole word" and similar advanced options at some point.  If you want to keep it simple for the average user, keep them hidden unless the user chooses them, much like Google.
Beyonwiz DP-P2, Epson EH-TW5500, Pioneer VSXLX52 & BDP-320, Screen Technics 100” screen, WD Live TV x2, 6Tb NAS (Linux)
Beyonwiz DP-S1, VIERA TH-42PA60A
HTC Desire (rooted) Froyo
Topfield 5000MP

sw

I've found the same. I want to set up a Series Recording for Lost. Since it's not currently on, I tried doing a search for Lost, and got heaps of hits. I'm worried that if I use this as a keyword record then everything with this word will get recorded.

A better option would be to select the actual program from the results (synopsis is given so you can ensure that it's the correct show) and then have the ability to set your Series Record parameters there. This isn't available when the show isn't scheduled in the next 7 days. The only option you have is to set it as a Favourite.

Steve

mtb

Quote from: sw on December 06, 2008, 12:05:32 AM
A better option would be to select the actual program from the results
Always assuming it is IN the results!  Unfortunately for me, ER isn't in the first 200 results so isn't showing at all, I've had to scan through the schedule to locate it.
Beyonwiz DP-P2, Epson EH-TW5500, Pioneer VSXLX52 & BDP-320, Screen Technics 100” screen, WD Live TV x2, 6Tb NAS (Linux)
Topfield 5000MP

sw

A better option would be to select the actual program from the results (synopsis is given so you can ensure that it's the correct show) and then have the ability to set your Series Record parameters there.

How about it ICE? Any chance of getting this feature introduced?

mtb

Quote from: sw on December 06, 2008, 11:55:20 AM
A better option would be to select the actual program from the results (synopsis is given so you can ensure that it's the correct show) and then have the ability to set your Series Record parameters there.
+1
Topfield 5000MP

prl

Quote from: mtb on December 06, 2008, 12:56:49 PM
+1

This might break the only use that I currently have for keyword recordings. IceTV treats episodes of the SBS series Kurt Wallander as one-off events, and as it is now, a keyword recording allows me to effectively convert this into a series. In this new scheme, if I then selected the entry for a particular episode, I think I'd be back to how it was before, that I'd get a recording timer for that episode and no other.

I would have liked to use a keyword recording in the same way to catch all the movies in the ABC2 Hitchcock Season earlier in the year, but it hadn't been implemented then.

I though that the idea of keyword recordings was mainly to allow users to create their own "series" rather than something you'd apply to a program that was already a series in IceTV, like ER.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

mtb

My understanding of what SW wants is that - when a search finds a programme you are presented with the usual recording options but when it doesn't you can only set it as a favourite rather thatn the full options - this would be changed to offer the same recording options as a located programme.  This would be a separate function to the keyword searches and therefore an additional feature, not changing the keyword functionality.
Topfield 5000MP

Vortical

Quote from: prl on December 06, 2008, 01:29:56 PM
Quote from: mtb on December 06, 2008, 12:56:49 PM
+1

This might break the only use that I currently have for keyword recordings. IceTV treats episodes of the SBS series Kurt Wallander as one-off events, and as it is now, a keyword recording allows me to effectively convert this into a series. In this new scheme, if I then selected the entry for a particular episode, I think I'd be back to how it was before, that I'd get a recording timer for that episode and no other.

I would have liked to use a keyword recording in the same way to catch all the movies in the ABC2 Hitchcock Season earlier in the year, but it hadn't been implemented then.

I though that the idea of keyword recordings was mainly to allow users to create their own "series" rather than something you'd apply to a program that was already a series in IceTV, like ER.

I would have to agree with Peter here

It would completely ruin my Keyword Favourites if this change was made.

j s

Optional regular expressions would be a definite advantage, along with a couple of in between options like "whole word" (which could be converted behind the scenes to a simple regular expression) and "case sensitive" (or "uppercase" maybe) to cover things shows like "ER" (mentioned earlier), "CSI" and similar.

It will be interesting (or perhaps not :( ) to see if my "AFL" keyword record produces any surprises.

prl

For ER, searching title and description for ER Visnjic Innes seems to work pretty well for me :) The only downside is that you'd have to change the search if the stars change.

I'm still unclear why you'd want a keyword recording of ER rather than an ordinary series recording, though.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

sw

Quote from: prl on December 06, 2008, 06:37:09 PM
I'm still unclear why you'd want a keyword recording of ER rather than an ordinary series recording, though.

That was my point. In my case I don't want a Keyword Recording of "Lost" as I'm assuming it would queue everything with the word Lost in the title.

I'm not talking about changing the Keyword Record functionality.

I want to be able to queue a Series Record for shows not in the guide.

I want Lost to be automatically recorded next year when it returns without having to check RSS feeds and then having to go in to set a Series Record once it appears in the guide.

When you do a search, you are presented with 3 options...

1) Add a Keyword Record or Keyword Favourite.

2) Shows upcoming in the next 7 days.

3) Shows not upcoming in the next 7 days.

#2 allows you to "Show Series Options", and from there to queue a Series Record.

I assume that #3 is populated from an ICE TV database of shows that have previously been displayed in the TV Guide. Why can't these have the same "Show Series Options" button to allow you to queue a known show for the future (beyond 7 days) so you don't need to rely on receiving RSS feeds and then having to go in and set a Series Record once it appears in the guide.

Isn't this technically possible?

It seems logical to me.

Steve

prl

Quote from: sw on December 06, 2008, 10:12:00 PM
I want to be able to queue a Series Record for shows not in the guide.

I want Lost to be automatically recorded next year when it returns without having to check RSS feeds and then having to go in to set a Series Record once it appears in the guide.

But Lost is in the guide. Prime HD Wed Dec 10 22:30 and 23:30.

You can get most shows that have run in the last year by searching  Most Popular using "most popular this year". I found Lost that way (and discovered it was in fact running (repeats).

That won't work for everything, but it covers a lot of cases.

That's not to say that better searching capabilities wouldn't sometimes be useful.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

sw

Thanks Peter, but "Lost" was just an example. My point was that you should be able to set a Series Record for shows that are not on at the moment.

I assume it's technically possible. Just can't see why it's not included as an option for shows not in the guide.

Having said that, there are cases where the title changes. For example, I can't set a Series Record for next season for Survivor because the name always includes the location in the title.

Maybe I need to include a colon in the keyword for a Keyword Record (i.e. "Survivor: ")

Steve

mtb

Peter, you seem to be missing the point - I DON'T want a keyword recording.

Likewise ER was just an example as I clearly explained, it came up as part of a diagnostic issue and highlighted the need for full word matching or regular expressions.  You seem to have mixed up the two threads of thought here.

However, I completely agree with sw - it's the option to set a series recording from a search result IN ADDITION to the keyword search that is missing, it should not interfere with that newer functionality in any way but be in addition to it.  For a show which is currently not showing, I can set a favourite but cannot set a recording - why not?  If the show has been shown previously and I set a recording at that time, but it is now not showing, it still shows the recording as in place - pending so to speak.

It's a function that's been missing (and should have been relatively simple to implement, I would expect) since long before keyword searching even appeared.
Topfield 5000MP