Padding problem

Started by crankcase, April 22, 2008, 12:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crankcase

Howdy everyone,

Having a problem where I select record from the guide page eg; Sea Patrol 8:30 to 9:30 with 30 minutes post padding set in  IceTV  and also select record on the next show on the same channel. In this case the first recording stops at 9:30 and the second recording starts but Sea Patrol is running overtime so the end is on the next recording. I had no other scheduled recordings set. The wife watches her show which was the second recording and deletes it, so I end up missing the end of my Sea Patrol recording.

I am have 2 tuners installed and only have this problem when recording 2 shows on the same channel.
I have done some searching in the forums but could not find anyone with the same problem.

Any help may save my marriage  :o

Cheers

prl

It comes up every now and again in the Beyonwiz forum, and I'm pretty sure it got a run in the old Topfield forum when I used to be a regular there.

There are two ways round:

• Record one program on the HD service and the other on the SD service, if one of them is simulcast. You'll get lower quality on one of the recordings, but it may be worth it if it saves your marriage :)
  • Combine the two timers into a single timer that covers both shows. I don't think you can do that on IceTV Remote, but you may be able to if you set up the timers on the PVR/media centre. If you can, just program the timer for the first show from the EPG, then edit it to extend its duration, otherwise, just set it up manually.

Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

crankcase

Thanks for the reply,

Ive been using those workarounds when possible, but teaching my wife to manually record to cover the 2 shows is just beyond her  :-[

I'll keep digging. There must be some way to hard code the post padding .

Cheers

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Under Vista you can setup "Hard" padding on shows using the "Advanced Record" option, if you set the option for "Stop" to a set amount of time, this will be added no matter what.

The padding that IceTV Interactive sets is "Soft" padding under Media Center, which behaves as you have described above even if you have two tuners, it will not record the same channel on both tuners.

When using "Hard" padding it will extend the first recording and will use both tuners during the overlap to ensure that how much extra you set under the "Stop" option it will be honored.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

prl

Hard padding is useful for this, but then you have to take a punt on how late the second program will start. You can still end up with the end of the first program in the second recording, or the beginning of the second program in the first recording.

It's now getting a bit trickier to do this, because the commercial broadcasters now often run from one program to the next without an ad break in between, with the first ad break coming a few minutes into the second program. It makes it quite hard to reliably get the right point to cut over to the new recording. I'm sure their objective is just to get viewer retention, and has nothing to do with making life difficult for people who want to record :)
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

dJOS

I requested a "Global Hard Padding" option be included in ICE Remote over here: http://www.icetv.com.au/iceforum/index.php?topic=1012.0 for exactly the same reasons as yourself. Im using WegGuide atm to get aorund this as when you setup a series record it makes it very easy to apply custom hard padding to each series recording.
My Home Theatre Project

Quad Tuner 7MC box now replaced by 2x TiVo's HD's by order of the Wife!