ICETV EPG crashing Topfield 2400 again.

Started by JPP, April 11, 2016, 07:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPP

It's the first time I've experienced this, but here in Sydney, the current EPG data is causing my Toppy 2400 to continuously reboot.

It's happening on both my 2400 Toppies, so I don't think there's much doubt that it's a gremlin in the EPG data stream that has plagued us a while ago.

Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

IanL-S

Phil

In Melbourn I am not seeing this with any of my 2400s.

Have you tried decreasing the number of LCNs being sent to your 2400 (assuming that you usually have data for all LCNs)?

Ian

IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

JPP

Thanks for the heads up Ian.

I've been AWOL for quite a while and only vaguely remember the discussions about this issue. Are you suggesting that an excessive amount of EPG data can also cause the same problem? This would imply that this condition or the trigger for it is "time" dependant, i.e. some days there could just be enough or too much data that will bring this condition on, whilst on other days all is OK.

I have all Sydney channels enabled, but only ONE LCN for each service.

Bear in mind that this just happened tonight - nothing anywhere was changed. Until now, I've never had the problem.
Phil.

IanL-S

Yes, the Toppy can be overwhelmed by the data that is downloaded. I understand the matter has been referred to the Topfield engineers in Korea. There is a discussion of this issue in the thread below:

http://forum.icetv.com.au/iceforum/topfield/9/trf-2400-plus-tf7100hdpvrt-reboot-when-logging-in-to-icetv-melbourne/5051/

It is strange that with duplicate LCNs disabled you are having this happen.

I assume that you have ruled out DLNA probing by another devices is not the culprit - Power DVD is one of the offenders. There is a discussion of the issue on the oztoppy wiki:
http://oztoppy.wikidot.com/pvr-restarts

Hope this helps you work out the exact problem.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
Synology NAS

cdbrawn

I am having the same problem, in Sydney also.

I assumed the HD had fried, pulled the thing apart and replaced the drive, only for it to continue to happen.  Only then was I smart enough  ;D to disable IceTV & then come here.

Disabled 3 channels I never record / watch and that seems to have done the trick... Fingers crossed.

JPP

All good here in Sydney now. My guess is that the recalcitrant character has been removed or simply replaced by fresh EPG data that no longer contained the same character. Or, reduced the amount of data.
Phil.

wandikani

I've deleted all unnecessary channels and it's still happening tonight.  I'm in Sydney. 
It stops rebooting as soon as I disable IceTV but as soon as I enable it, the rebooting starts again.
I'd appreciate some comment from IceTv. 

IanL-S

Obviously something specific to Sydney causing this; none of my IceTV enabled devices are rebooting.

Ian
Synology NAS

JPP

Quote from: wandikani on April 12, 2016, 09:24:39 PM
I've deleted all unnecessary channels and it's still happening tonight.  I'm in Sydney. 
It stops rebooting as soon as I disable IceTV but as soon as I enable it, the rebooting starts again.
I'd appreciate some comment from IceTv.
Yes, and it happened to me again too last night. Like you, I deleted many channels and it still happened.

Daniel or Dave, are you hearing this? It has all the hallmarks of rogue characters in the EPG stream.

Phil.

Dave at IceTV

We have worked out that it is the data in ABC One's guide that is causing the problem. We are looking for the culprit character now.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

JPP

Thanks Dave. Glad that you've found the cause. How are things coming along with an automated system for locating and removal of these rogue characters - I think I remember you mentioning sometime ago that work would be undertaken to do this.
Phil.

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: JPP on April 13, 2016, 01:19:10 PM
How are things coming along with an automated system for locating and removal of these rogue characters

I was wondering that myself.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

Paul

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on April 13, 2016, 12:36:25 PM
We have worked out that it is the data in ABC One's guide that is causing the problem. We are looking for the culprit character now.

Is it resolved yet?

JPP

It seems to be... my Toppy has now been running for about 10 min and still OK. Normally, if it's going to reboot, it takes about a min or less or as it can take as long as 2 min after a complete bootup sequence.
Phil.

Dave at IceTV

It looks fixed on my Topfield.

We did find and remove a certain character from the ABC guide. After enabling ABC in my account and resetting the EPG on the Topfield it rebooted twice then settled down. That was 40 minutes ago.

After you enable ABC in your account, or enable IceTV on the Topfield if it is disabled, you should 'Reset EPG Data' with the Red F1 (function) button while in the Topfield's IceTV menu. It may reboot once or twice but should be okay after that.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service