TRF-2400 + TF7100HDPVRt reboot when logging in to IceTV (Melbourne)

Started by IanL-S, March 10, 2016, 12:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: Archer_11 on March 17, 2016, 06:15:05 PM
Can I ask, I'm a little unclear from searching this site, what is the purpose of 'LCN = All'? What purpose does it serve? Thanks & sorry if I've missed clear info on this.

The reason for the All option is so that people can have a guide on the simulcast channels. Like 2 and 21 which are both ABC One.

All doesn't give you all channel numbers for the selected channel. It just gives you a guide for all of the simulcast channel numbers available for the selected channel. e.g. If you set ABC One to All you would get a guide on 2 and 21. And if you set 7 Digital to All you would get a guide on 7, 70 and 71.

Most channels do not have a 2nd or 3rd channel that broadcasts the exact same TV signal so the All settings does nothing for those channels. But in regional regions many of the channels have city and regional channel numbers.

Theoretically the recorder is supposed to be able to pick which one the multiple channel numbers it has available to set the recording on.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

mikejg

Whats going on with icetv for topfield 2400?
My topfield keeps rebooting when icetv is enabled.
tried a factory reset, did not fix.

my beyonwiz dplite appears to work ok.

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: mikejg on March 17, 2016, 09:56:39 PM
Whats going on with icetv for topfield 2400?
My topfield keeps rebooting when icetv is enabled.
tried a factory reset, did not fix.

See "Why does my Topfield reboot every 2 minutes with IceTV enabled?" here:
http://support.icetv.com.au/entries/98880787
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

mikejg

Thanks for the info.
Appears to have settled down after removing some channels and changing LCN settings.

Archer_11

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on March 17, 2016, 09:42:01 PM
Can I ask, I'm a little unclear from searching this site, what is the purpose of 'LCN = All'? What purpose does it serve? Thanks & sorry if I've missed clear info on this.

The reason for the All option is so that people can have a guide on the simulcast channels. Like 2 and 21 which are both ABC One.

All doesn't give you all channel numbers for the selected channel. It just gives you a guide for all of the simulcast channel numbers available for the selected channel. e.g. If you set ABC One to All you would get a guide on 2 and 21. And if you set 7 Digital to All you would get a guide on 7, 70 and 71.

Most channels do not have a 2nd or 3rd channel that broadcasts the exact same TV signal so the All settings does nothing for those channels. But in regional regions many of the channels have city and regional channel numbers.

Theoretically the recorder is supposed to be able to pick which one the multiple channel numbers it has available to set the recording on.

Thanks for the info  Dave, appreciate it.

Disabling some channels has definitely fixed the reboot issue, however the other day the option to watch FTA itself was greyed out which was very odd. Scheduled recordings and playback still worked fine. It's magically fixed itself for now so haven't tried factory resets etc just yet.

IanL-S

Given the current architecture of IceTV Interactive there is no advantage to the 'LCN = All' setting. However, if like me you do not like missing the end/beginning of programs on the same LCN, if there is multiple LCNs you can shift one of the timers manually to an alternative LCN (you need to use the TMSTimer TAP to do this). That is why I have multiple 'LCN = All' for ABC, ONE and 7Digital. It is easier with 9/9HD and SBS/SBS HD as you can use the prefer HD setting for one of the consecutive timers and prefer SD for the other.

Hope this enlightens you.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

Archer_11

I thought I would update that I'm still getting reboots. Today have gone from 4 disabled channels now to 6, hope fully that will help things. The only sticking point might be that I need to keep ABC2, we use it all the time and record shows etc and it is not disabled. If ABC2 really is a problem specifically then I could be a in spot of bother.

The second step will be to transfer the remaining recordings and reformat the HDD, this has fixed issues in the past and it could be that i'm dealing with a corruption of some type. Problem is the Toppy often reboots mid transfer so I'll need to open up the box, always a struggle to find the time.

Dave at IceTV

Hi Archer,

Does disabling IceTV stop the rebooting? Because there can be other reasons why a Topfield reboots.

When you disabled the channels in your account did you set the LCN column to "Disabled" as in this screenshot?

cheers

Dave
Customer Service

Archer_11

Thanks for the prompt reply Dave, valuable information!

I had not disabled the unticked channels at any stage, this might be why rebooting remained. A little bizarre than the situation improved for a while after I unticked (only), I guess that was a coincidence.

Ice TV stopped rebooting when the service itself was disabled the first time around, haven't retested since it's gotten worse & agree that this may well be a new issue (or possibly both issues together). I'll report back later this week. Thanks.

DennisEdwards

Hi
We have a 4 year old 2460 that's dependent on IceTV and it's been going well for years but it now has the reboot issue. We're missing recordings, can't watch live without reboots, and losing paused recordings (to huge tantrums from my girls).

I've had a bit of a play around with the various suggestions on this forum and the Topfield forums, but for a number of reasons I need a fix that:
- is permanent
- means I can continue to use IceTV
- maintains ABC2/Kids for recording and viewing

I haven't seen a solution that people have which does both of these things (which frankly aren't too much to ask).

Without this being resolved quickly, I will have to buy a Beyonwiz T4 in absence of a better suggestion.
TOPFIELD  TRF-2460
WLAN
Ice TV
No Taps

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: DennisEdwards on May 27, 2016, 11:14:10 PM
I've had a bit of a play around with the various suggestions on this forum and the Topfield forums, but for a number of reasons I need a fix that:
- is permanent
- means I can continue to use IceTV
- maintains ABC2/Kids for recording and viewing

I haven't seen a solution that people have which does both of these things (which frankly aren't too much to ask).
Disabling 2 channels that you never watch or record (like in the picture 2 posts above yours) is too much to ask? Nobody expects anyone to disable channels they or their family use... but nobody uses all of the channels that are available.

Topfield ownership is generally easier than T4 ownership (especially if you expect young kids to be able to use the T4). You might want to buy the T4 as a second PVR or keep the Topfield in the closet until the family decides they like the T4 better.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

IanL-S

Removing 'duplicate' LCNs is the best solution. You probably do not need the second ABC LCN (LCN21 in Melbourne), or the second One LCN (LCN 12 in Melbourne), or the duplicate 7 Digital (LCN 71 in Melbourne) or the duplicate 9 Digital (LCN 91 in Melbourne). You could also do without the SD versions of 7, 9 and 10. However, you would not need to delete all of those LCNs. Two or three of them should be sufficient.

Only two steps involved; disable the services under your IceTV account, and delete the services from the Toppy (while watching live TV press white function key, this lists all the LCNs, and you select the one you wish to delete, press the white function key, and select the delete option - unfortunately you have to do each one separately).

The permanent solution is a firmware update. Last time I spoke to Topfield technical support they had referred the problem to the firmware engineers in Korea. When I get a chance I will ask for an update.

Ian

PS While the T-series Beyonwiz are a great machine, they are not a user-friendly as the Toppys. I use my T-2 as a backup rather than primary recorder.
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
Synology NAS

Archer_11

Quote from: Archer_11 on May 17, 2016, 07:19:10 PM
I'll report back later this week. Thanks.

Could have sworn I updated on this. So strange.

In any extent, ecstatic to advise the fix works, meaning I must have never done it correctly in the first place. Also ecstatic to see that Filezilla is working fine, I'm getting 1 -2 hours of uptime per connection so I'm back able to transfer 100+gb's once more (I accrue an annual backlog, so much better than just deleting it).

Only thing is now I've disabled six channels, and I'm loathe to spend more time on this given we need ABC2 and to add channels back on seems to be tempting fate. Maybe will give it a crack in a few weeks.

Not holding my breath that Topfield will fix this, but genuinely surprised this is not a problem in other countries as well.

IanL-S

IceTV is only available in Australia. As far as I am aware, there is no similar products supported by non-Australia Toppys. The way free-to-air EPG works it does not have the same impact.

It is not clear if you have put ABC2 back. Initially it was thought that there were ongoing problems in the ABC2 data that caused the problem. The reason why disabling ABC 2 solved the problem was that it has a very large number of short programs so much more data is sent for ABC2 than for other LCNs.

Ian
Synology NAS