Missed the Skippa, looking for replacement

Started by eafywan, October 19, 2015, 10:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prl

Quote from: eafywan on October 19, 2015, 05:08:47 PM
... Are there any restrictions on HDD in the BYO option? I assume it would be SATA, I can probably get a cheap HDD through work which would bring the price down as well. I am a bit out of the hardware side of things, what make of HDD would you recommend?

You want to go for lower power (i.e. lower heat) and lower noise, but other than that there haven't been any limitations I recall being posted in any forums on your choice of HDD.

And yes, the internal HDD connection is SATA, and the SATA cable supplied with the barebones model uses the SATA power connector on the drive. There is also an eSATA port on the T3 and T4.

I run a Beyonwiz-supplied (but self-installed) WD Green 4TB in our in-use T4, and a couple of smaller recycled drives in my test units.

There has been lots of discussion abut preferred drive types on the Beyonwiz forum. You may want to have a look around there.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

eafywan

Thanks PRL, will check those out as well. My wife is leaning towards just getting one with the HDD supplied  anyway so I may go that track but will check the Beyonwiz forums before deciding.

prl

Quote from: eafywan on October 20, 2015, 11:31:26 AM
Thanks PRL, will check those out as well. My wife is leaning towards just getting one with the HDD supplied  anyway ...
Then it will most likely be a WD Green drive. I haven't heard of anyone getting anything else, but I can't say for sure that that's what you'd get.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

gibster

Quote from: eafywan on October 20, 2015, 11:31:26 AM
Thanks PRL, will check those out as well. My wife is leaning towards just getting one with the HDD supplied  anyway so I may go that track but will check the Beyonwiz forums before deciding.

Might actually want to check prices...

Barebones T4                    $599.00 from BeyonWiz  ($749.00 with 1TB drive)
3TB Seagate Video Drive   $173.75 from MegaBuy w/shipping  (Seagate Video 3.5 HDD, 3TB, SATA 6Gb/s [ST3000VM002]

Total    $772.75

3TB Seagate Barracuda (not the above mentioned video drive) and the barebones BeyonWiz equals the same as the 1TB BeyonWiz. So 3 times the storage for the same price.

gib
BeyonWiz V2

eafywan

Thanks for your input, I can certainly see the appeal of getting more storage for the same price. Other factors to take into consideration are if there is an issue and you have to decide whether the fault is HDD related or PVR related, you are dealing with two parties. At least with the full Beyonwiz supplied system, you are only having to deal with one entity. I didn't even know that video specific HDD's were a thing so I'll check that out as well :). Sure is a lot to take into consideration...

eafywan

Thanks everyone for your input. In the end we ordered a barebones T4 and a Seagate 2TB Pipeline HDD. Looking forward to the upgrade :)!

JPP

Just my 2c worth here. I ordered a BeyonWiz T2 (with 3rd tuner included) and bought a 1TB HDD separately. Total came to $398 - very close to what I paid for the Skippa. Glad to say I received a refund from PayPal for the Skippa. Discovered today that they claimed it from my CCard - 28 Degrees. Have now instigated a claim for my subscription from them (28 Degrees) as well.

Tossed hard and long between the T2(3 really) and the T4 model. The price difference in my mind between these two ($299 and $599) for the bare bones version of each was unjustified - I can buy another T2(3 really) for the same price as just one T4 and wind up with 6 tuners - not that I ever expect to ever need as many as that.

So, I'll be hopping over to the Beyonwiz forum to pick up my PVR life again in Wiz territory  :) - it's been more than 6 years since I owned a DP2  :o.
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor