Missed the Skippa, looking for replacement

Started by eafywan, October 19, 2015, 10:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eafywan

We were one of those who missed out on the Skippa and so am now looking for a suitable replacement. We have a DP LIte at the moment but are looking for an upgrade with more tuners. I am looking at T3 or T4, they both look really good on "paper" so to speak. What are others thoughts on them, is the T4 worth the extra $$$ based on what we want out of a PVR? These things are important:

1. 3 or 4 tuners, preferably 4 (Refurb T3 comes with USB for free so takes it to 4).
2. 1TB HDD.
3. ICE TV compatible.
4. Streaming to Tablet/Laptop etc.
5. Configurable time skipping forward and back.
6. Key word and series recording (Just in case ICE TV does finally cease to exist)

Both units seem to do these, the T4 looks to have more processing power, higher number of channels recording and upscaling but I can't see us needing those but feel free to try and try and convince me. :P

michaelwho

I got a T2 when they were recently offering $100.00 off. It has 3 tuners (with the USB). I love it and am very happy. It does everything on your want list so I'm sure you'll be happy with a T3 or T4.

eafywan

Thanks for the reply, I am leaning more towards the T3 at the moment as it is about $150 more than what we paid for the Skippa so with the Paypal refund we are getting its not going to break the bank. The T4 Is closer to an extra $350, that will put a sizeable dent in the budget but we are firm believers in spending more to get something that will last and do the job properly rather than skimp and then be dissatisfied. You usually end up spending more in the long run that way in our experience.

raymondjpg

Quote from: eafywan on October 19, 2015, 10:53:31 AM
Thanks for the reply, I am leaning more towards the T3 at the moment as it is about $150 more than what we paid for the Skippa so with the Paypal refund we are getting its not going to break the bank. The T4 Is closer to an extra $350, that will put a sizeable dent in the budget but we are firm believers in spending more to get something that will last and do the job properly rather than skimp and then be dissatisfied. You usually end up spending more in the long run that way in our experience.

It looks like the best bet for you is a T3 or T4, but a major deciding factor for my choice of a T2 was that it does not have (or need) a cooling fan. I don't know how noisy they are in a T3 or T4. Perhaps someone could comment on that.

I know that the noise of cooling fans in home theatre systems are usually masked by the audio output, but having spent time and money getting all of my components silent, cooling fans are still an irritant for me.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

eafywan

Since starting this thread I have gone back and had another look at the Beyonwiz site and notice that the T3 is an older model. The T2 actually has more processing power and full 1080p HD over the T3 so actually thinking it might be a decent option given that it does everything we need. It may have 1 less tuner but considering it will still do 8 shows over 3 tuners, I think it may be more than enough. We rarely found the DP Lite overlapping, we would get the odd 3 shows at one time which was a slight hassle but the T2 would even overcome that.

So the real question, does the hardware of the T4 make it worth the higher price? The T2 seems to have a more up to date remote control as well, is that right?

prl

Quote from: eafywan on October 19, 2015, 12:27:07 PM
So the real question, does the hardware of the T4 make it worth the higher price? The T2 seems to have a more up to date remote control as well, is that right?

The T2 and T4 remotes are the same format, same key locations. The main differences between them are that the T2 remote's button screenprinting is slightly larger and has far better contrast against the keycaps, and the T4 remote has key backlighting.

However, the T4 remote's backlighting only comes on when a button is pressed, so it's not much help in finding a button in the dark. It also seems to reduce battery life appreciably.

IMO the T3 remote is a long way better than either the T2 or T4 remote. It's smaller (especially not as thick), and though it's a bit shorter, the keypad area on both is about the same. The T3 remote has a rounded back, which I think is also more comfortable in the hand. I also think its button layout is better than the T2/4 remotes.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

scotty

IMO the T3 has the nicest remote. The T2 and T4 have very similar remotes except the T4's has backlit buttons.

The T2 and T4 remote is a bit boxy and not very sleek. It can be setup to control TV power and volume but you need to change to the TV mode first (and then back to STB mode to control the box).

The T3 remote can also be setup to control TV power and volume but has the advantage in that it can be set to control volume on the TV without needing to change mode. The power button can also be set to power on/off the Beyonwiz and the TV with a single button press.

If you get a T2 or T4 you could always buy a T3 remote to use if you don't end up liking the other remote. If that's the case though it would be worth considering a Logitech Harmony. Nothing beats them for quality/feel/flexibility.

Scotty

eafywan

Thanks PRL and Scotty, appreciate that extra info. The remote is probably not a major contributing factor but from what you have said, the T3 remote does sound like a nicer option.

As fas as the PVR goes, forgetting that the T4 has an extra tuner, is it worth that much more than the T2 when it comes to usability. E.g. is the web interface and streaming better than on the T2 with its ability to transcode and its higher processing power?

scotty

The T2 and T4 have the same web interface and usability between the two is the same.

If your home network is reasonably fast and wireless coverage good (if you're streaming to wireless devices) transcoding isn't essential.

The only other difference is picture in picture. The T4 can do it, the T2 can't.

Are you going to be plugging in to a wired network or using wireless? The T2 only has two USB ports (one front and back). It might look a bit ugly having the USB tuner plugged in the back and a wireless adapter sticking out the front! You could always use a USB hub though.

I don't want to talk you out of a T4 because they're great, but the core difference is the extra tuner. If you don't need 4 tuners I don't think you'll be disappointed with a T2.

Scotty

eafywan

Thanks Scotty, our router is within a metre of the PVR so it will be wired. Sounds like we need to weigh up whether we need that extra tuner or not. We are running a wireless N network so wifi speed is pretty good. One thing with these newer T models, can you still copy your recordings to a HDD as a .TS file like the old DP Lite could with the WizPNP or similar?

raymondjpg

Quote from: eafywan on October 19, 2015, 02:30:27 PM
Thanks Scotty, our router is within a metre of the PVR so it will be wired. Sounds like we need to weigh up whether we need that extra tuner or not. We are running a wireless N network so wifi speed is pretty good. One thing with these newer T models, can you still copy your recordings to a HDD as a .TS file like the old DP Lite could with the WizPNP or similar?

I have found three ways to do this with Windows. Either copy and paste from the public directories listed under network in file explorer, FTP or download from the Webif interface. The most convenient for me was the Webif interface. The video files are saved as MPEG-TS with a .ts file extension.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

eafywan

Thanks raymondjpg, sounds like it is all so much better than the DP Lite, that being said, it has been a good box which is one of the reasons we want to stick with Beyonwiz. Thanks everyone for your input, will have to discuss with my missus and figure out which way we want to go.

prl

One other factor that hasn't been mentioned: the T2 is in a smaller-format box and only has room for a 2.5" HDD. I think that currently limits it to 2TB drives (the limitation is the available drives, not the capability of the T2).

The T3/4 have a larger-format box and take a 3.5" HDD (but can take a 2.5" HDD with filler adapters to allow the drive to be screwed into the carrier).
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

nis200sx

The one thing nobody seems to have mentioned about the T2 is that it has no front display. But since you have a DP-Lite at the moment you would be used to that.  It also uses a 2.5 inch laptop size HDD and an external power supply which is why it does without a fan. The T2 is a tiny box and very similar to the skippa in some ways. The fan on the T4 is very quiet and configurable between auto, on or off.

For me, I prefer the T3 remote, then the T2 remote and finally the T4 remote. Actually I prefer a Harmony remote.

The USB tuner made the T3 unreliable though it may be much better with the T2's extra CPU speed and extra memory.

Apart from transcoding the T4 also has a HDMI input. You can connect your Foxtel or fetch box etc or bluray player to the T4's HDMI input and stream the HDMI input to a phone or tablet or pc or smart TV etc. The HDMI input can also work as a HDMI switch allowing you to connect an extra HDMI device to your TV.

If you want to save a bit of money buy a barebones model Beyonwiz and install your own 1TB HDD.
Dave

eafywan

PRL & Nis200sx, thanks for that.

Not a big deal with the front display but you now have me rethinking the use of the USB tuner. The extra HDMI input could also come in handy but we could probably live without it. Are there any restrictions on HDD in the BYO option? I assume it would be SATA, I can probably get a cheap HDD through work which would bring the price down as well. I am a bit out of the hardware side of things, what make of HDD would you recommend?