autoskip pricing

Started by Dazza, June 19, 2015, 05:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dazza

I saw in the pre order extension for Skippa  $39 for one year of autoskip.

Can you tell me how many years of autoskip I get for my initial pre-reorder before the extension was announced

Thanks

Dazza

Melashcott

Hi Dazza - I purchased pre release as well... There was no mention of subscriptions anywhere, so I'm assuming auto skip will cost us nothing for the life of the machine. I will certainly be kicking up a big stink if I am charged extra for something advertised as part of the machine... You know corporate affairs kind of stink. Hope that won't be needed though...

Leon K

Hey Guys,

As per our previous bi-weekly emails for the past three plus weeks, the offer was for the lifetime of the box and the first 1000 sales.  The 1000 limit was achieved and is unfortunately now closed. 

This is the next offer and still $150 below RRP but the AutoSkip feature will have a subscription after the first free year of $39/year.  This offer is for the next 500 sales.

Stalky

I, and 999 others, are relieved to hear that.

Thanks for the super quick reply Leon.

Paul55

Quote from: Leon K on June 19, 2015, 05:49:01 PM
AutoSkip feature will have a subscription after the first free year of $39/year.

I've been following the Skippa development with interest but this is the first I've heard about a subs for AutoSkip. Like some others, I assumed it was built into the firmware.
I'm wondering what expenses are incurred by IceTV to provide ongoing AutoSkip functionality (to justify the ongoing cost).

csutak40

Quote from: Paul55 on June 19, 2015, 08:50:08 PM
Quote from: Leon K on June 19, 2015, 05:49:01 PM
AutoSkip feature will have a subscription after the first free year of $39/year.

I've been following the Skippa development with interest but this is the first I've heard about a subs for AutoSkip. Like some others, I assumed it was built into the firmware.
I'm wondering what expenses are incurred by IceTV to provide ongoing AutoSkip funcionality (to justify the ongoing cost).

I am also very surprised to hear this.  I feel it certainly should have been mentioned at the beginning.  Seems a bit underhanded to me. 

Also, as I do think that autoskip is just a gimmick I could probably live without, could one purchase one without the AutoSkip function?
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

EdQld

I am also pleased to hear that us early adopters will have autoskip included for the life of the Skippa box, but like others, was very surprised to hear that this feature will be subscription based!

Certainly this is the first we have heard of that and you would have to wonder how this will affect sales going forward? Especially since the release of the BW highly specked T4 with 4 Tuners

snuke

Cached version of site,  - http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://skippa.tv/
As I thought, NOTHING about a fee for AutoSkip, not even a remote vague description than none of us didn't interpret correctly.
All it says is
['"*Saving is based on 5 x standard annual IceTV subscription fees valued at $99 per year."']

Even now, the only clue to the fee is this new purple highlighted area. Nowhere else on the site does it say that AutoSkip is a fee based service.

This is extremely underhanded and was mis-leading to all those that were uncertain on getting in early. I am sure it was part of everyone's calculation.

Edit: From first email. Again NOTHING about avoiding an AutoSkip subscription fee:

csutak40

Yes, the more I think  about it, the more annoyed I get! 

Seems to me the goal post gets changed every 5 minutes.  Originally, we were told 4 tuners, (won't even bother mentioning the various deadlines) then it was going to cost RRP $499. (this wasn't long ago, in April http://forum.icetv.com.au/iceforum/skippa/44/new-icetv-branded-pvr/3886/msg20930#msg20930  "Skippa will be in the IceTV store in mid to late June with an RRP of $499 including an IceTV subscription for the life of the skippa box (with no time limit)"). 

The first we heard of the price having changed to $599, was when we were offered the "$200" discount.  At the same time, we were also told "No subscriptions, ever"

There is never an explanation about these changes.

Not happy, Jan!
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

SteveGee

Well, That sucks !

I'm sure many more of us would have pre-ordered had we of known that the Ad-Skipping function was going to be an "Optional Extra".

Shirley* you jest ??

The WHOLE PREMISE of this new device is that it skips advertisements, yet somehow you forgot to mention that this function is "optional" ?

So, regular (after release) purchasers need to purchase an Ice-TV subscription to have all the EPG recording features AND the "Ad-Skipping" subscription to skip the advertisements !!

Good luck with that !!

I'm sure the first batch would have sold in half the time had we of known about this.

SG.

*And don't call me Shirley !!!

Valik

Quote from: SteveGee on June 19, 2015, 11:56:15 PM
I'm sure many more of us would have pre-ordered had we of known that the Ad-Skipping function was going to be an "Optional Extra".

Could not agree more

The WHOLE PREMISE of this new device is that it skips advertisements, yet somehow you forgot to mention that this function is "optional" ?

As expected this is a very sore point with everyone interested in the device.

So, regular (after release) purchasers need to purchase an Ice-TV subscription to have all the EPG recording features AND the "Ad-Skipping" subscription to skip the advertisements !!

As far as I'm aware they only need to subscribe to the ad-skipp feature for $39 per year.

If I have a spare Skippa, can I sell it with the full functional ad-skip functionality or is it locked to my account?

snuke

No, ICE sub is for lifetime of your Skippa.

I guess this AutoSkip sub is how they are attempting to make up for all Skippa owners now never having to pay for an ICE sub. While I can understand trying to get the regular revenue back, how this has been handled is appalling.

SteveGee

Quote from: snuke on June 20, 2015, 02:58:22 AM

No, ICE sub is for lifetime of your Skippa.

I guess this AutoSkip sub is how they are attempting to make up for all Skippa owners now never having to pay for an ICE sub. While I can understand trying to get the regular revenue back, how this has been handled is appalling.

Are we 100% positive about that ??

Re-reading their skippa.tv web site, just as it doesn't mention an annual subscription for the SKIPPA functionality, it could also be left open that the "Lifetime" ICETV subscription is ONLY for the 1000 + 500 "pre-orders"  >:(

SG

Leon K

Hey Guys,

The Skippa has built in subscriptions so you will be able to continue to use all the features of IceTV's smart recording and custom EPG with or without the Auto-Skip subscription.

Quote from: csutak40 on June 19, 2015, 08:57:26 PM
Also, as I do think that autoskip is just a gimmick I could probably live without, could one purchase one without the AutoSkip function?

The AutoSkip works great, but if you feel you wish to do without it you can disable it on the device and switch back to using only manual chase-play.

Vortical

Leon, so what happens if I was in the 1st 1000 with the "no annual fees ever" and I decide to purchase an additional skippa at a later date? What happens with subscriptions on that box?

This sure is getting confusing.

Also I must say this ad skip subscription for the rest of units sold is a bit hard to swallow.