New IceTV branded PVR

Started by Mantorok, July 17, 2013, 01:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prl

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on April 03, 2015, 03:59:55 PM...
I'm not sure. I've never had 2 on the same network at the same time. I'll check it out on Tuesday.
Two recordings on two different LCNs on the same broadcast channel? I should certainly hope so. All the Beyonwiz DP series could do that; even the single-tuner DP-H1. So could the earliest Topfield HD recorder (TF 7000), and, I think, the Topfield SD recorders, too.

The T3 is sold as being able to handle 8 simultaneous recordings (with the usual limitations due to the number of tuners), but the limit isn't hard-coded, and users have reported being able to go well above that limit without problems. Not that I can think of too many circumstances where you might actually want to do it, beyond the always interesting question of "how hard can I push before it breaks?" :D
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

prl

Quote from: EdQld on April 03, 2015, 03:26:23 PM
Will the Skippa be able to deal effectively with recorded consecutive programs on the same channel, with padding overlap? (the BW T3 does this very well apparently)
Yes, the T3 can do that.

The T3 can also have an additional USB tuner added, to make it a 4-tuner PVR. However, a number of users have had problems getting the 4th tuner to work properly. I've never been able to get it working properly (I get unwatchable pixellation on most channels when it's on antenna feed-through), though admittedly I haven't tried it for a while. Four tuners seems to be an architectural limit, though. I understand it has only 4 DVB demuxers.

The T3 can also "borrow" an additional tuner from another T3 over the net, and record from that. However, for my use pattern where I like to keep the PVRs shut down when not it use, it seems too cumbersome to use. For people who only ever put their T3s in standby (almost everything running apart from A/V output) it would be a more practical thing. I've never tried using it.

It'll be interesting to see how Beyonwiz reacts to the Skippa pricing :)
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

Vortical

Quote from: prl on April 03, 2015, 05:26:15 PM
It'll be interesting to see how Beyonwiz reacts to the Skippa pricing :)
Has that been announced yet? I'm very curious on the price.
Also interested how smooth running the interface is, hopefully it's not laggy,

I think my TF7100HRPVRt is on it's last legs, it's having problems keeping time, even with a recent battery replacement.
Missed quite a few recordings of shows before I realised something was wrong as it's not really used that much, we tend to use our TRF-2460 most of the time.

Hopefully I can win one  ;D

bodogbodog

Quote from: prl on April 03, 2015, 05:12:01 PM
Quote from: Dave at IceTV on April 03, 2015, 03:59:55 PM
Quote from: JPP on April 03, 2015, 02:54:15 PM
Quote from: Dave at IceTV on April 03, 2015, 02:38:57 PM
........ But a 2nd Skippa box in another room would solve that.  :)
Ah, does that mean that ala BeyonWiz, that you can access AND control a second Skippa via the first? I.e. you can see the list of recordings on the second Skippa, select a file/recording and then fully control playback from the first Skippa as if the recording was stored on it?
I'm not sure. I've never had 2 on the same network at the same time. I'll check it out on Tuesday.
Two recordings on two different LCNs on the same broadcast channel? I should certainly hope so. All the Beyonwiz DP series could do that; even the single-tuner DP-H1. So could the earliest Topfield HD recorder (TF 7000), and, I think, the Topfield SD recorders, too.
I think you may have missed that the original question was about one Skippa controlling another Skippa as opposed to recording multiple channels of a network
Be interesting what Dave reports back
I can see were going to have fun "extracting" features from IceTV staff over the coming weeks

The price of $499 is taken from the prize draw flyer which gives that as the prize value - I assume there is only one Skippa model - with the 3 Tuner / 1TB spec
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare

prl

Quote from: bodogbodog on April 03, 2015, 06:16:37 PM
I think you may have missed that the original question was about one Skippa controlling another Skippa as opposed to recording multiple channels of a network
Yes. I had quite the wrong idea of what "network" was in the context. :-[
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

Rat

I use my old Beyonwiz to record TV AND stream content from network connected folders on my PC via Cat5 cable......Please tell me that Skippa will allow me to do that and maybe even via WiFi also AND have good file (codec) support for currently common downloads????

Oh and I would like to set it up to do that without taking a Masters Degree in Networking and writing my own software if possible :)

csutak40

Quote from: JPP on April 03, 2015, 01:42:19 PM

Hmmm... just 3 tuners... pity that.
I wonder also how flexible the manual skipping is. Important as you do need it when Chase Playing, i.e. before the firmware has had a chance to do the skip ads algorithm which by my reading of the specs is only done at the end of the recording
[/quote]

It will be very interesting to test how well it works, or whether adjustments will be have to be done often.  I have a video editing software that (supposedly) automatically cuts out commercials, but it is just so bad at it that it takes less time to edit them out manually than to "fix" the automated version.

I would  also love to hear what else Skippa does.  When we first got told about this PVR and was asked for suggestions on what we'd like - we asked for something similar to the way TED/S works. 

Can we get an idea how the recordings work?
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

csutak40

Quote from: JPP on April 03, 2015, 02:54:15 PM
Ah, does that mean that ala BeyonWiz, that you can access AND control a second Skippa via the first? I.e. you can see the list of recordings on the second Skippa, select a file/recording and then fully control playback from the first Skippa as if the recording was stored on it?

Another good question!  I wonder if we are going to get a full list of what it can  do, before it goes on sale?
Cheers,
Judy

csutak40

Yes. Just like the T3, skippa will record all back-to-back recordings on the same channel with your pre-set padding included, even if the padding overlaps another recording on the same channel.

I am not familiar with T3, so can you explain further please?  If it includes padding on both, does that mean that two back-to-back recordings will use two tuners?  The only system I am  familiar with is the way TED handles  them - that is merging the two, on one tuner.  Hence you certainly wouldn't miss the end of one or the beginning of the next, but can easily separate the two afterwards if you choose. 

The way Media Centre does it, it does include separate padding on both shows, using both tuners, hence it is impossible to record another show on another channel (as I have dual tuners there) - not my  preference
Cheers,
Judy

csutak40

Quote from: bodogbodog on April 03, 2015, 06:16:37 PM
I can see were going to have fun "extracting" features from IceTV staff over the coming weeks

I am certainly very curious.  I am one of those dinosaurs still using Toppy 5K with TED/S.  The reason for that is because I love TED so much - so I am dying to know if the Skippa will do all the things I love about TED
Cheers,
Judy

csutak40

Quote from: Rat on April 03, 2015, 09:53:41 PM
Oh and I would like to set it up to do that without taking a Masters Degree in Networking and writing my own software if possible :)
Me three!  ;D  :D ::)
Cheers,
Judy

blip

Quote from: csutak40 on April 04, 2015, 02:19:11 AM
Yes. Just like the T3, skippa will record all back-to-back recordings on the same channel with your pre-set padding included, even if the padding overlaps another recording on the same channel.

I am not familiar with T3, so can you explain further please?  If it includes padding on both, does that mean that two back-to-back recordings will use two tuners?  The only system I am  familiar with is the way TED handles  them - that is merging the two, on one tuner.  Hence you certainly wouldn't miss the end of one or the beginning of the next, but can easily separate the two afterwards if you choose. 

The way Media Centre does it, it does include separate padding on both shows, using both tuners, hence it is impossible to record another show on another channel (as I have dual tuners there) - not my  preference

The T3 only uses one tuner to do this. You will end up with each show in its own file with pre and post padding all without needing to use a second tuner.

Paul55

Quote from: csutak40 on April 04, 2015, 01:59:02 AM
It will be very interesting to test how well it works, or whether adjustments will be have to be done often.  I have a video editing software that (supposedly) automatically cuts out commercials, but it is just so bad at it that it takes less time to edit them out manually than to "fix" the automated version

I'm also concerned about this. If it isn't perfect, how can it be better than the excellent user configurable, manual skipping I use on my Toppy and BWs? It really sounds like a gimmick - and a potential dis-satisfier. I guess we'll just have to wait and see - I hope I'm being a pessimist.

csutak40

Quote from: blip on April 04, 2015, 05:59:39 AM
The T3 only uses one tuner to do this. You will end up with each show in its own file with pre and post padding all without needing to use a second tuner.

Thanks for that.
Cheers,
Judy

EdQld

Also with 3 tuners and currently $195, the Altech PVR9600 (soon to gain Ice EPG support) should provide Skippa some real competition at $499