New IceTV branded PVR

Started by Mantorok, July 17, 2013, 01:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blip

A T3 is the latest Beyonwiz PVR

IanL-S

Quote from: blip on August 11, 2014, 03:23:57 PM
A T3 is the latest Beyonwiz PVR

OK, I now understand. I wonder which 6000 series Toppy is being considered - at this stage only 2 exist the TF-T6000 and the TF-T6211 (which I gather is still undergoing pre-release testing).

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

prl

Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

snuke

Quote from: Heinz on August 11, 2014, 01:34:21 PMWe're not in a position to "leak out" what IceCube's killer feature exactly is -- for competitive reasons.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if it wasn't already posted in this thread, you did pretty clearly discuss it on the tech podcast you did a while ago, so not that secretive.

What we all wan't to know, is when will this actually be ready. If it is another 12 months, then say that, but some idea would be good.

IanL-S

Getting firmware settled down always takes longer than is hoped. The Topfield TF-T6211 was originally scheduled for release in early May and it still has not been released. While basic PVR functions can be cause for delay, it is usually non-PVR functions that are the most difficult to get working properly.

In Topfield example, they did not have the processor upgrade to complicate matters.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
Synology NAS

csutak40

Quote from: snuke on September 03, 2014, 03:24:00 PM

What we all wan't to know, is when will this actually be ready. If it is another 12 months, then say that, but some idea would be good.

I agree 100%  I am very disappointed at the lack of information - looks to me there must be big problems with it (why else the silence?) in which case I doubt I'd rush to buy one when/if it ever becomes available.  Will probably wait for version 3  :-\
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

csutak40

Quote from: IanL-S on September 04, 2014, 07:46:42 AM
Getting firmware settled down always takes longer than is hoped. The Topfield TF-T6211 was originally scheduled for release in early May and it still has not been released. While basic PVR functions can be cause for delay, it is usually non-PVR functions that are the most difficult to get working properly.

In Topfield example, they did not have the processor upgrade to complicate matters.

Ian

It would still be nice to keep us informed
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

prl

Software development always takes longer than expected, even after taking this rule into consideration ;)
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

DaveD

Not sure if this has been covered in this thread but....?
Is there going to be a choice of EPG layouts/designs with the IceCube?

I prefer the layout that you get with the Toppy's TAP JustEPG.
i.e. A grid of 6 channels per page and toggle through 3 or more pages.

I find that most EPGs are the cluttered single line layout where some channels show 2 or 3 programs and others more, depending on the durations of each program.

e.g.

IanL-S

I agree that customisable EPG format is a must have.

At present we are largely in the dark about the features of this unit. The best way to enhance the user experience is for the unit to support user developed add-ins, as most of the Topfield units do. If I recall correctly several of us made this suggestion when the unit was first announced.

Ian
Synology NAS

Paul55

I too am a fan of the JustEPG layout as well as the functions it brings. A PVR maker could do a lot worse than use this design.
I've never seen an inbuilt EPG display that can hold a candle to JustEPG.

prl

Quote from: IanL-S on September 12, 2014, 04:42:35 PM
I agree that customisable EPG format is a must have. ...
There are already some EPG plugins available for the T3, though I think that people aren't getting great results with them.

The source code for the T3 UI is publicly available, as is a large proportion of the source for plugins.

That's about as customisable as it gets, though the effort in writing an EPG UI is certainly non-trivial.

The standard EPG (which implements 4 different EPG styles, none like that one, though) is about 3200 lines of Python code, plus skin definitions.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

TobyDog

Quote from: Paul55 on September 12, 2014, 07:26:53 PM
I too am a fan of the JustEPG layout as well as the functions it brings. A PVR maker could do a lot worse than use this design.
I've never seen an inbuilt EPG display that can hold a candle to JustEPG.

I totally agree about JustEPG. I've just purchased a Humax 4tune after a number of years a Toppy fan and frankly I hate the cumbersome style of EPG built in.

Cheers

Paul55

Quote from: TobyDog on October 05, 2014, 06:37:03 PM
I've just purchased a Humax 4tune after a number of years a Toppy fan and frankly I hate the cumbersome style of EPG built in.

I feel the same about every EPG I see - TVs and PVRs. I've certainly been spoiled by the genius of JustEPG. Maybe we will get lucky and Peter Gillespie (pgdownload) and/or Chris (cttc) will get a T3 and be able port/convert this excellent EPG to the new Beyonwiz as a plug-in.