Timers deleted when EPG data updated

Started by IanL-S, May 28, 2014, 05:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanL-S

On both the TRF-2400 and the TF7100HDPVRt I have had multiple instances of timers disappearing. I think I know what is happening but cannot see any way of fixing it.

I have two, sometimes three, consecutive programs on the same LCN scheduled to record (usually series recordings). As expected, about 5 days before the program is scheduled the timer is added via IceTV Interactive. The problems is caused by a change in the scheduled commencement time and/or length. For example Timer 1 is scheduled to commence at 8.30pm for one hour and Timer 2 is scheduled to commence at 9.30pm for one hour. The Toppy downloads updated EPG data and the revised times are 8.35 and 9.35. Rather than editing the existing timers, the Toppy deletes the timers in sequence. The Toppy deletes Timer 1 (8.30 to 9.30) and tries to create a new timer from 8.35 to 9.35 (Timer 1a) but cannot because it clashes with the next timer which has not been updated. The Toppy then deletes Timer 2 (9.30 to 10.30) and creates Timer 2a for 9.35 to 10.35.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

raymondjpg

Quote from: IanL-S on May 28, 2014, 05:04:59 PM
On both the TRF-2400 and the TF7100HDPVRt I have had multiple instances of timers disappearing. I think I know what is happening but cannot see any way of fixing it.

I have two, sometimes three, consecutive programs on the same LCN scheduled to record (usually series recordings). As expected, about 5 days before the program is scheduled the timer is added via IceTV Interactive. The problems is caused by a change in the scheduled commencement time and/or length.
I have had a whinge about something related to this, specifically if a manually created pre-padding on a TF7100HDPVRt is overridden by IceTV updating a timer start time. Ideally I would like to see IceTV implementing a pre-padding option for selected PVRs, but they have persistently resisted this.

My only solution, and I suspect yours (with our "older" PVRs) is to check the My Week page about an hour before the first timer starts that the timer(s) have not been updated. If they have, nothing else for it but go in to the PVR and readjust the timer(s).

Also, for consecutive programs, I favour consolidating the timer(s) to one.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

IanL-S

I agree about the consolidation of consecutive timers - I was not aware that this was possible with IceTV Interactive.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
Synology NAS

raymondjpg

Quote from: IanL-S on May 29, 2014, 10:50:05 AM
I agree about the consolidation of consecutive timers - I was not aware that this was possible with IceTV Interactive.

Ian
It isn't. You have to do it manually in the PVR. So consolidate, say, three consecutive timers by adding together the total recording time, and renaming the scheduled recording to reflect the names of the consolidated programs.

This way you avoid discontinuities between individual recordings of consecutive programs. Something that PVRs are not generally good at, and which something like TV Scheduler Pro handles perfectly by allowing (apparently) any number of concurrent recordings from a single tuner on the same frequency.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

IanL-S

OK, I understand what you meant. I do that also. One 'gotcha' with the 2400/7100+ is that the EPG is updated and the first program is rescheduled, the replacement timer only has the first program. I have not tried using a different name for the timer - not sure if that will work or not. I suspect not.

Ian
Synology NAS

raymondjpg

Quote from: IanL-S on May 29, 2014, 12:01:14 PM
OK, I understand what you meant. I do that also. One 'gotcha' with the 2400/7100+ is that the EPG is updated and the first program is rescheduled, the replacement timer only has the first program. I have not tried using a different name for the timer - not sure if that will work or not. I suspect not.

Ian
Yes it will work, but you are right - if the EPG is updated it will throw everything out, and still has to be fixed in the PVR.

When consolidating timers I have had more success with timers sticking in Topfields than with Beyonwizs.

Paul55

Quote from: raymondjpg on May 29, 2014, 11:00:50 AM
You have to do it manually in the PVR. So consolidate, say, three consecutive timers by adding together the total recording time, and renaming the scheduled recording to reflect the names of the consolidated programs.

When I wish to consolidate timers, I use JustEPG. It provides the option to 'Split' or 'Merge' with consecutive timers - plus, it's a great EPG (IMO).
I haven't seen the loss of timers you describe, but that could just be good luck or my recording patterns.

IanL-S

I will se if JustEPG overcomes this annoyance.

Ian
Synology NAS

raymondjpg

Quote from: Paul55 on May 29, 2014, 01:30:11 PM
When I wish to consolidate timers, I use JustEPG. It provides the option to 'Split' or 'Merge' with consecutive timers - plus, it's a great EPG (IMO).
No TAPs for the  TF7100HDPVRt, unfortunately.

IanL-S

Dave at IceTV has confirmed that this is a firmware bug.

Ian
Synology NAS

IanL-S

I recently discovered that there is an August 2014 2400 firmware (I assume there is also one for the 2460). I have not been able to get my hands on it so I do not know if it has fixed the IceTV bugs. I asked my contacts at Topfield if it did, but have not got a reply.

Ian
Synology NAS