Beyonwiz T3

Started by Paul55, March 14, 2014, 05:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vortical

Quote from: Heinz on March 17, 2014, 04:49:27 PM
We're meeting with Digital Trading Co re the T3 this Wednesday to get a landing on how we can accelerate IceTV integration. The question isn't "if" but "when"!

Quote from: Heinz on April 11, 2014, 08:19:55 PM
Following 5 weeks of negotiations with Beyonwiz, we could not agree on acceptable commercial terms for the integration of IceTV with the Beyonwiz T3.

Heinz

People will purchase based on comments like yours on March 17th then become sorely disappointed when you don't deliver as has clearly happened on the 11th April.

So far everything you have posted that has excited forum members in relation to this Beyonwiz T3 IceTV implementation and the continual push back of release dates of the Mysterious IceTV branded PVR has been a huge letdown.

I'm certainly very disappointed

Paul55

Begs the question - did IceTV really want to give a competitor an advantage. If not, that's understandable - unfortunately, it's the loyal customers of both brands who will suffer.
It may come down to choosing between IceTV and (possibly) the best PVR. If so, both will lose. The T3 seems to have the majority (but certainly not all) of the IceTV functions covered straight out of the box.
I'm a big spruiker of IceTV to my friends, but this situation sucks. Do I recommend the best cake or what most see as the Icing? Pun intended.

BikeMike

I am very very disappointed too. I ordered a T3 assuming that ICE would work, based on the comment quoted above.

Not sure why there needs to be a commercial arrangement between ICE and BW; there is a commercial arrangement between ICE and ME to provide this service, I pay for it! I probably will not be renewing when my current subscription expires.

Not Happy!

BikeMike

Do all the other platforms have a commercial arrangement with ICE? What about Windows, Myth TV etc?

prl

Quote from: BikeMike on April 13, 2014, 07:20:56 PM
Not sure why there needs to be a commercial arrangement between ICE and BW; there is a commercial arrangement between ICE and ME to provide this service, I pay for it! I probably will not be renewing when my current subscription expires.
The IceTV protocol is proprietary. I imagine that Beyonwiz needs to licence its use.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

prl

Quote from: BikeMike on April 13, 2014, 08:25:32 PM
Do all the other platforms have a commercial arrangement with ICE? What about Windows, Myth TV etc?
For Windows Media Centre, you have to download IceTV software to use IceTV. There wouldn't appear to be a need for a commercial arrangement for Microsoft to have access to IceTV IP.

MythTV only appears to have access to the IceTV EPG, not to IceTV Interactive: "Does IceTV Record Scheduling work with MythTV? No. MythTV can use the IceTV guide data but it does not support IceTV Interactive (remote scheduling and series recording)." Same with SageTV.

From the setup information in IceTV Help, it appears that Elgato licenses IceTV.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

csutak40

Quote from: Heinz on April 11, 2014, 08:19:55 PM

3) Treat yourself to an IceTV PVR in October from our online store or in November from the top Australian retailers.

Sorry Heinz, I am becoming quite dubious about this whole thing.  For starters, last we have heard from you (in the "New IceTV branded PVR" thread) was in December, when you promised July.  You haven't deigned to keep us posted in that thread since.

In that thread, lots of people offered to test drive it and help in any way they could, but you have decided not to keep us informed as to what the hold-up is.  In fact you have stopped writing in that thread completely.

The only reason I know that you have written on the subject anywhere (as, not being a Beyonwiz user, I have no reason to be reading that thread) was other members quoting you in the  thread one would hope that mentions of the "IceCube" would be found.

Very disappointing and does not fill one with confidence about the product at all.
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

BikeMike

Actually I think I should express my views here, as well as to Beyonwiz.

I have PAID for IceTV service for 5 years now, and it's been great. But the point is, I pay for it. It seems that IceTV also expect Beyonwiz to pay for it ("acceptable commercial terms" is the phrase they use) in order to allow my device access to a service I pay for.

As far as I can see, Ice do not offer a cheaper "guide only" subscription? The fee includes remote scheduling of recordings onto my device. IceTV have Beyonwiz to thank for my last 5 years of subscription fees, along with my recommendations to other users. So why can't I continue to use the service with my new Beyonwiz device? There is no other compelling reason to use their service, so if it's not going to be enabled for the T3 I will be cancelling and no longer recommending them.

Paul55

Quote from: BikeMike on April 20, 2014, 10:53:56 AM
As far as I can see, Ice do not offer a cheaper "guide only" subscription? The fee includes remote scheduling of recordings onto my device. IceTV have Beyonwiz to thank for my last 5 years of subscription fees, along with my recommendations to other users. So why can't I continue to use the service with my new Beyonwiz device? There is no other compelling reason to use their service, so if it's not going to be enabled for the T3 I will be cancelling and no longer recommending them.

You don't need to be a subscriber to access the IceTV EPG data over the web - just to get it onto your device.
IceTV would need to develop firmware and are entitled to some recompense for their work and intellectual property - the question I ask is how much. To the layman, there wouldn't seem to be a case for it costing Beyonwiz significantly more than the DP series licence. We also don't know how hard a line Beyonwiz took.
As for both Beyonwiz and the user paying IceTV, it's a bit like newspaper classifieds - both the seller and buyer need to pay the newspaper. Maybe not a great example, but it shows that 2 parties can be charged by a third party to bring them together.

csutak40

Quote from: Paul55 on April 20, 2014, 01:58:07 PM

You don't need to be a subscriber to access the IceTV EPG data over the web - just to get it onto your device.
IceTV would need to develop firmware and are entitled to some recompense for their work and intellectual property - the question I ask is how much. To the layman, there wouldn't seem to be a case for it costing Beyonwiz significantly more than the DP series licence. We also don't know how hard a line Beyonwiz took.
As for both Beyonwiz and the user paying IceTV, it's a bit like newspaper classifieds - both the seller and buyer need to pay the newspaper. Maybe not a great example, but it shows that 2 parties can be charged by a third party to bring them together.

What is getting me more and more annoyed is the fact that Heinz is not keeping us informed.  As I said, I don't own a Beyonwiz device, so I have no reason to be writing to them, but I wouldn't anyway - as I don't have enough information to be able to mount an argument.

I have no idea what the negotiantions were about, why they fell down.  Is IceTV being purposely difficult with them, to eliminate a possible competitor?

I am very disappointed in the way loyal customers of IceTV are being treated.  Some of us were around when the court case with Channel 9 was going on and we did write letters and did everything we could to help IceTV's case

I have no idea what's going on and there may very well be a reasonable explanation, but it is certainly not forthcoming.   Conspiracy theories will prosper when the facts aren't easy to come by.

I think that Heinz should remember that most of the success of IceTV was gained by word of mouth of loyal and happy customers.  It seems we are now treated like mushrooms and if that continues, customers can be lost as quickly as they were gained.
Cheers,
Judy

prl

I'm not sure that either Heinz or Jai (from Beyonwiz) owe us any explanation of what happened in private commercial negotiations.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

csutak40

Quote from: prl on April 20, 2014, 06:14:14 PM
I'm not sure that either Heinz or Jai (from Beyonwiz) owe us any explanation of what happened in private commercial negotiations.

Well, I was mainly talking about explaining the delays with the IceCube, but I would agree with you except for the fact that Heinz had asked members to write to Beyonwiz to argue their case.  Wouldn't knowing the "case" be necessary for that?
Cheers,
Judy

BikeMike

Quote from: Paul55 on April 20, 2014, 01:58:07 PM
IceTV would need to develop firmware and are entitled to some recompense for their work and intellectual property...

Actually I'm certain it would be Beyonwiz developing that firmware/software, and they already have the technical knowledge and IP since they have included it in other models. The only thing stopping them including it in the T3 is IceTV wanting them to pay more than they are willing to. I guess we will never know how much that is, or whether it's a flat fee or per user.

Paul55

I suspect this why some are suspicious of the timing and tone of these negotiations Vs the pending arrival of the "Ice Device".
IceTV would seem to be in the box seat this time with many potential buyers demanding IceTV compatibility before buying a new machine. It initially appears that the T3 needs Ice more than Ice needs the T3. However, I think that's a short sighted view as IceTV has made its reputation by aligning with the best hardware and providing a choice of brands to customers.
I have never been fond of Humax and a friend who bought one a year ago is lamenting his decision to ignore my advice to get a Beyonwiz. I, for one, won't be coerced into buying hardware I don't trust. If it comes down to choosing between hardware and IceTV, I will vote with my wallet for the best hardware and work around the other issues.
Maybe Beyonwiz are being unreasonable, but there doesn't seem to be an obvious reason for this - Ice compatibility will definitely snare them more sales. On the other hand, increased T3 sales would be at the expense of some "Ice Device" sales. Do the math!

bodogbodog

I'm not looking to add to the debate but being a long term IceTV user I simply don't know how it would work on a PVR without it - what product do the non IceTV units use to schedule and manage recordings?
As I like an easy life - and a happy wife - I just want something with an easy interface, that's somewhat reliable, to set up recordings  - ie set and forget is my target - do they exist outside of the IceTV environment?

Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare