New IceTV branded PVR

Started by Mantorok, July 17, 2013, 01:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snuke

A bit of an update from Heinz in the Wiz T3 thread - http://forum.icetv.com.au/iceforum/index.php/topic,4256.msg19941.html#msg19941

Quote from: Heinz on April 11, 2014, 08:19:55 PM3) Treat yourself to an IceTV PVR in October from our online store or in November from the top Australian retailers. It won't cost you much to enjoy becoming part of a PVR revolution with the IceTV PVR! Our own PVR will be the first to market with some features that are setting the pace in Australia -- 4 tuners, prepaid IceTV, sleek new IceTV interface which is integrated across our PVR's remote control/tablet/mobiles and a killer feature that we won't announce until closer to the release date. Seriously cool and different! We are well underway and you will want IceTV if you are looking for a way to enjoy HbbTV/Freeview+ with your existing TV set at some point in the near future.

Vortical

October/November Release now?
I'll believe it when I see it.

Paul55

Quote from: snuke on April 11, 2014, 11:07:18 PM
A bit of an update from Heinz in the Wiz T3 thread - http://forum.icetv.com.au/iceforum/index.php/topic,4256.msg19941.html#msg19941

Quote from: Heinz on April 11, 2014, 08:19:55 PM3) Treat yourself to an IceTV PVR in October from our online store or in November from the top Australian retailers. It won't cost you much to enjoy becoming part of a PVR revolution with the IceTV PVR! Our own PVR will be the first to market with some features that are setting the pace in Australia -- 4 tuners, prepaid IceTV, sleek new IceTV interface which is integrated across our PVR's remote control/tablet/mobiles and a killer feature that we won't announce until closer to the release date. Seriously cool and different! We are well underway and you will want IceTV if you are looking for a way to enjoy HbbTV/Freeview+ with your existing TV set at some point in the near future.

I know that I tend towards conspiracy theories, but I have an uneasy feeling regarding the negotiations between IceTV and Beyonwiz. Did IceTV really want to partner with a device that seems to be a direct competitor for their own upcoming machine? I wonder what the difference was between the previous agreements for Beyonwiz PVRs and what IceTV wanted/DTC were willing to pay for the new one......
I hope this wasn't just a case of window dressing for the suckers customers.

madmax

Quote from: madmax on January 23, 2014, 09:57:06 AM
I'd call this a major setback. Unfortunately, I can't help but feel this will drag on until next Christmas.

But in the meantime, my S1 continues to chug away faultlessly..... :D
Well, that looks like being one of my better calls.

Although I'd rather have been proven wrong in this instance.  :(

IanL-S

These things always take longer than anticipated.

I hope the wait will be worht it. My Toppys are still workin most of the time without major issues, so I am not in urgent need.

Ian 
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

csutak40

Quote from: Paul55 on April 12, 2014, 10:44:22 AM
Quote from: snuke on April 11, 2014, 11:07:18 PM

I know that I tend towards conspiracy theories, but I have an uneasy feeling regarding the negotiations between IceTV and Beyonwiz. Did IceTV really want to partner with a device that seems to be a direct competitor for their own upcoming machine? I wonder what the difference was between the previous agreements for Beyonwiz PVRs and what IceTV wanted/DTC were willing to pay for the new one......
I hope this wasn't just a case of window dressing for the suckers customers.

I am starting to become a conspiracy theorist myself - especially as Heinz has decided to stop talking to us in this thread and is only writing in the Beyonwiz one
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

glenncol55

Most important is keeping the price on the realistic side not the wishful thinking side

Vortical

Wonder if a October/November release is still on the cards or not, still no info from Ice and only a few months to go. :-\

csutak40

Quote from: Vortical on July 12, 2014, 12:46:34 PM
Wonder if a October/November release is still on the cards or not, still no info from Ice and only a few months to go. :-\

I have given up.  What ever their plans are, they seem to have decided that we are mushrooms, so I will start researching elsewhere

I just had my Toppy 5K repaired, which (hopefully) has given it another lease of life, but obviously I can't expect it to hold out much longer.  The person doing the repairs tells me that the best one ATM is the Panasonic, so will go and look  at that.

Must say, I am very disappointed in IceTV in the way this has been handled
Cheers,
Judy

Paul55

Quote from: csutak40 on July 14, 2014, 02:48:06 PM
The person doing the repairs tells me that the best one ATM is the Panasonic, so will go and look  at that.

The Panasonic won't be IceTV compatible (I'm fairly sure) and probably won't have a lot of the functions you take for granted on your Toppy. I wouldn't necessarily take much notice of a repairer when it comes to considering the functionality you require.

I'm also a little disappointed that more info/progress hasn't been advised about the IceCube, but does it really matter? - other than increasing choice. The new Humax 4tune and the Beyonwiz T3 both claim they will have IceTV and seem very capable - I wouldn't suggest buying one until IceTV is confirmed and operating.
Even without these latest generation PVRs, the Toppy 2400/2460 and the DP series Beyonwiz are amazingly cheap right now. Either would be a step up from your current 5000 series - not bagging it, we still have our much loved 5000MP, but they are a generation ahead.
I also suspect the latest devices will drop in price after a few months - that's what usually happens.

csutak40

Quote from: Paul55 on July 14, 2014, 04:08:23 PM
Quote from: csutak40 on July 14, 2014, 02:48:06 PM
The person doing the repairs tells me that the best one ATM is the Panasonic, so will go and look  at that.

The Panasonic won't be IceTV compatible (I'm fairly sure) and probably won't have a lot of the functions you take for granted on your Toppy. I wouldn't necessarily take much notice of a repairer when it comes to considering the functionality you require.

Yeah, I just noticed that it isn't IceTV compatible

Quote from: Paul55 on July 14, 2014, 04:08:23 PMI'm also a little disappointed that more info/progress hasn't been advised about the IceCube, but does it really matter?
It matters, because I am beginning to suspect that there are major problems with it - hence the deafening silence.  BTW, the repairman also told me something (which I should have remembered myself) that it is never a good idea to buy the first version of anything  :P

Quote from: Paul55 on July 14, 2014, 04:08:23 PMEven without these latest generation PVRs, the Toppy 2400/2460 and the DP series Beyonwiz are amazingly cheap right now.

He did warn against Beyonwiz, said lots of problems with the hardware and firmware.  He said that there is a PVR replacing the Tivo, he couldn't remember its name, that was quite good but expensive.  Wonder if he meant the Humax?
Cheers,
Judy

Paul55

Quote from: csutak40 on July 14, 2014, 06:39:16 PM
the repairman also told me something (which I should have remembered myself) that it is never a good idea to buy the first version of anything

I tend to go by that adage too. At least until a product has been around for a while.

QuoteHe did warn against Beyonwiz, said lots of problems with the hardware and firmware

Can't support that statement. I have had 4 Beyonwiz PVRs and they are all still running and have never given me a single problem. The oldest is only about 12 months newer than my original Toppy 5000 (which has had the obligatory caps replacement).
The firmware is rock solid and, coupled with IceTV, provides me with a near bulletproof recording solution. Also, from what I read, the Beyonwiz is very repairable if things do go wrong - I view this as a good thing.

snuke

Quote from: csutak40 on July 14, 2014, 06:39:16 PMHe did warn against Beyonwiz, said lots of problems with the hardware and firmware. 

The Wiz's firmware is as solid as it gets for these devices.

Personally as I am in no hurry for a new device, I will happily wait and see what becomes of this ICE unit. I won't need half the features no doubt, but after being disappointed with the T3s outdated hardware, I'm expecting better from ICE and their Intel base.

Heinz

Dear Customers, Colleagues and Competitors!

Let me give you an update on the work-in-progress.

Our own "IceCube" (internal code name) has a killer feature on it, which required us to change chipsets a few times on our journey. We've just upgraded again to a higher-end chipset, in order to provide the best user experience with this feature. But every time you change chipsets, you have to port all of the middleware as well. This adds six months every time for consumer quality.

It also costs a lot in research and development, which explains why we have been running some aggressive price promotions during the last six months. Some of you have been posting about the rationale of these promotions, so now you know that IceTV has been investing heavily in R&D.

We're not in a position to "leak out" what IceCube's killer feature exactly is -- for competitive reasons. We're obviously breaking new ground here and we're breaking the ice with PVR vendors, who have also expressed interest in porting IceTV's new capability onto their own brands. Again, the question there is whether their PVRs have enough horsepower to run it.

This week, we're getting our first demo version of the T3 integrated with IceTV. By November, you'll be able to download firmware upgrades to the T3s that are already out in the market. New T3s will have the firmware preconfigured. The same goes for Strong's SRT 6500, which is a combo PVR/BluRay product.

Topfield has now also allocated resources to do their part in integrating IceTV. But we're still negotiating which of their new models to support first. They are as keen as we are to have at least one more TF model ready for Christmas. Humax is also talking to us, but there are no time-to-market agreements as yet.

Keep an eye out for IceTV on your Facebook over the next six weeks! We're letting all TiVo and Pay TV customers know that there is so much to see with IceTV.

Regards & success, Heinz

IanL-S

Excuse my ignorance, but what is 'T3'?

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help