EPG for my old Toppy 5000

Started by dclayw, February 25, 2013, 12:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dclayw

I'm still running my Toppy 5000, no real need to upgrade as it's a secondary PVR (main one is beyonwiz). Have had very few problems over all these years, replaced the caps a few years back, and had to replace the power supply on the Icebox2 about a year ago. So it's been one very reliable setup.

Anyway, had a power outage yesterday and looks like it fried the Icebox. At least I think that's what's caused the problem as I connected to the icebox just the day before. The lights on the box look normal (power/air/one lan port that I use) but it won't talk to me, not even directly connected to a PC. Tried to reset it to factory defaults, wouldn't do that either, so it looks like its dead unless anyone has any other suggestions. None of my other gear, several PCs/routers/bridges etc were affected so don't know why the Icebox decided to call it quits.

I'd like to keep the Toppy 5000 running but it needs the EPG. Is there any other way I can feed it the epg without the icebox?

ChrisW

If you can connect the Toppy via USB to a PC you can use TED/S to transfer the ICE EPG and set timers.

As an original Toppy user I've been using this for more years than I can remember - the Toppy is my primary PVR with the Wiz as secondary, mainly for the HD channels. I even keep a spare Toppy in case the original dies!

You can use TED/S with reduced functionality for free, or for $20/year it can do everything that ICE does and much more. It also has an application to auto-transfer recordings off the Toppy - TrecX.

Get it from http://home.exetel.com.au/trappett/teds/

There is also freeware which detects if the Toppy is running and automatically runs TED/S at set times of the day. Can't recall the location ATM but respond here if interested.

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: dclayw on February 25, 2013, 12:19:03 AM
The lights on the box look normal (power/air/one lan port that I use) but it won't talk to me, not even directly connected to a PC.
I'd try another power supply before giving up the Icebox2. The "Lights on but nobody home" symptom sounds exactly how a Slingbox behaves after it's power pack has started to die. i.e. Everything appears normal but there is no network access.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

dclayw

Direct USB connection is not gonna work for this location unfortunately, I need wireless access.

This is my second power supply on the Icebox, had this 2nd one for about a year now. When I had the PS problem before all the lights were on except power and air, that seems to be the symptoms. I don't have those symptoms now, the lights look as they normally do, just power and air (and one lan port) lights on. Do you think the power outage could have taken out the PS? The new PS I got last year from Jaycar is supposed to be better then the original, I'd be annoyed if it's failed already. None of my other equipment was affected and I have a lot of gear.

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: dclayw on February 25, 2013, 05:47:47 PM
Do you think the power outage could have taken out the PS?
Definitely. Blackouts often cause power supplies to suddenly fail partially or completely. Though you'd expect a 12 month old power supply to cope with a blackout. Heat over time is the big killer to power supplies. But blackouts, or the surge when the power comes back on, can cause an ageing power supply to fail sooner.

Of course thunder storms have been known to damage Ethernet ports on devices too.

If you have another device with a suitable power supply that you can try you could confirm if your Jaycar power supply is the problem (in which case you could talk to Jaycar about a warranty replacement).
cheers

Dave
Customer Service