Slow performance/hangs

Started by IanHamilton, August 30, 2012, 08:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeyjames

Hi,
At work I use Windows XP with either ie8 or Firefox (not sure what the connection is but at a major hospital)
At Home I use Win 7 with either ie9 or firefox (Optus 100Mbit cable connection).

Ironically, tonight is the best it has been in a long time. The reason I checked the forum was to see if you've updated something.

Thanks

Mick

mikeyjames

Hi again,

Well I spoke too soon, it's slow again.

Just figured out that if I do from "TV Guide" it's quick, if from "My Week" it's slow.

Mick

mikeyjames

Hi,

I'm now at a friends home using a Telstra ADSL connection Win7 32 bit and same pattern:

Record from "My Week" = very slow to respond
Record from "TV Guide" = fine.

That means all of the following five me the same pattern:

Win7 64 bit and 32 bit with ie9 or Firefox from home with Optus Cable
Win XP 32 bit with ie8 and Firefox on a fast but unknown connection at work
Win7 32 bit with ie9 or Chrome from Telstra ADSL

Could it be that I have lots of favourites and key words set up???

Thanks

Mick

lukem

Hi Mick,

We're not seeing any system issues but perhaps it could be related to the number of favs, which we'll investigate. Can you quantify "slow"?

Dave at IceTV

Hi Mike,

I have as many keywords as you, but mine are 'keyword recordings'. All of yours are 'keyword favourites'. I have seen lots of 'keyword favourites' cause unusual behaviour before.

I notice that 3 of your keywords are duplicated. Making the system search twice for the same 3 keywords can't help.

Another keyword that can cause slow behaviour is your 'genre:movie' keyword. When there are lots of movies in the guide it could be even slower.

- Try removing the duplicate keywords.
- Then replace 'title:star title:Trek series:star series:trek' with "star trek" - note the double quotes.
- If it is still slow, remove the genre:movie keyword and see if that helps.

You could also replace these 2 keywords:
desc:Attenborough
title:Attenborough's

With the following single keyword:
Attenborough

Which would give the same results.

Remove the genre:movie keyword last, if the other changes don't help, as obviously you'd want to keep the movie keyword.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

mikeyjames

Hi Dave,

Appreciate the help. When I have a chance I'll do as suggested and get back to you.

Cheers

Mick

mikeyjames

Hi Dave,

Well, I did a big cleanup - can't believe the rubbish I had saved as keyword/favourites etc over the past couple of years.

Anyway, with no keywords it's lightning fast. A little disappointed with the fact that all I have to do is place one keyword/favourite like "documentary" and it slows considerably.

I can live with it now as definitely better than before.

Thanks

Mick