Main Menu

WTV Perth

Started by chrisb, March 16, 2010, 05:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisb

Hey IceTV, have you started talking to WTV in Perth about getting hold of their TV guide so we can have support when they launch? :) They're community, so maybe they'll be nice and give it to you. :)

Hint hint :)

http://www.wtvperth.com.au/

chrisb

Transmitter powerup on the 1st of April and programming starts on the 10th.

Mitch IceGuide

We revisit the community channel possibility of inclusion for every region regularly. We've had talks and are awaiting them to provide the information in a technically viable way. They are keen and the ball is in their court. Thanks.

chrisb

Out of curiosity, what's the issue with including them? They're digital so I'd hope they'd be treated like any other channel.

Thanks for contacting them.

tonymy01

You can't just steal someone's EPG data and put it onto your own website.  They have to set up a mechanism to allow you to access their schedule.   Just look at the Nein debacle ICE faced over the past years.
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

prl

Quote from: tonymy01 on March 31, 2010, 09:48:39 PM
You can't just steal someone's EPG data and put it onto your own website.  They have to set up a mechanism to allow you to access their schedule.   Just look at the Nein debarcle ICE faced over the past years.
There are two issues you've perhaps conflated. Licensing and a mechanism for transfer. The impression I had from Mitch's post was it was the latter that he was talking about. Nine was about licensing (or the lack of it).

And... no 'r' in "debacle".
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

chrisb

Quote from: tonymy01 on March 31, 2010, 09:48:39 PM
You can't just steal someone's EPG data and put it onto your own website. 

I realise that. I was hoping that community TV would be more friendly than the commercials.

tonymy01

Quote from: prl on March 31, 2010, 10:37:24 PM
And... no 'r' in "debacle".
Oh, thanks.  I have been working ~18hour days the past few days ;-), now fixed for you.   I have my spell checker on but missed the underlined error in my rush to post.   No, I was merely implying that just because a channel is now digital doesn't mean that ICE suddenly can put this channel into their EPG listings, as they need a source of EPG listings first (esp for the probably random nature of a community channel meaning it won't be easy to do the ICE strategy of watching a channel to determine the typical schedule).
And just because that channel may have published a schedule doesn't mean ICE is free to use that schedule without an agreement in place.   I was merely trying to simplify the whole Channel Nine issue into a simple sentence as to why ICE can't magically create an EPG for C31.
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

chrisb

melmac

Hopefully the guide won't be too far away, they used to sometimes show old B&W movies which I like to record

chrisb

So... why can't Ice do whatever voodoo magic they do to get TV guides from the commercials if they can't get the official feed from WTV up?

Can we get an update please?

Thanks.

Nomad

Quote from: chrisb on May 02, 2010, 10:04:41 PM
So... why can't Ice do whatever voodoo magic they do to get TV guides from the commercials if they can't get the official feed from WTV up?

Can we get an update please?

Thanks.

It appears to be a bit of a stalemate, according to WTV  IceTv have to contact them.  Below is a reply from WTV's facebook page.

WTV Ice TV have to contact us. We don't have the resources to track down every program guide operator.

rgds Damon

tonymy01

Quote from: chrisb on May 02, 2010, 10:04:41 PM
I couldn't imagine that community tv would have many promos for shows nor regular weekly schedule.   It would be a nightmare to use the techniques ICE used (use?) for the likes of the regular commercial channels.
Regards
Tony

chrisb

For those who are interested. This is from WTV on Facebook:

WTV Matt: we are busy working on the broadcast EPG, episode tracking databases and keeping the station up and running. Believe me it has not been smooth sailing on the tech side. We are running the station with a handful of volunteers and 3 staff. As you can imagine, time is stretched. We will get around to signing an agreement with IceTV but for now, this is not a priority. Unfortunately there is one person to help things move this along, and his spare time is zero at the moment.

Tivo doesn't have WTV yet either apparently.

chrisb

From Facebook: WTV :) and TiVo agreement was signed last week. TiVo have notified us that they are planning to launch WTV's EPG over the TiVo service next week. Make take a little while longer...