Multiple device handling in Interactive

Started by mtb, February 06, 2010, 11:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtb

Up until today we didn't have multiple Interactive capable devices, so the nuances and idiosyncrasies of scheduling across multiple devices were unknown to us - not any more!

The first thing that struck us was the requirement to have to repeatedly select the device to be used for each operation.  I appreciate that setting timers might be something that you need to stipulate a device for (though, now we have two BW, we can stream between so it isn't a problem) but I think that the TV Guide and My Upcoming Shows are in desperate need of an "All" device view, particularly since My Shows already has this feature.  Having to flick between devices to view the recordings set in TV Guide and My Upcoming Shows is akin to having to swap newspapers for each device to see what you've highlighted - it's positively arcane.

I would also like to see a default device setting, rather than it using the currently viewed device.  More than that, however, I should like to see options to use multiple devices to overcome scheduling issues i.e. you have a clash and it offers you a simple one-off "push to other device" function, or better still it does it for you.  I'd far prefer to have to use the other recorder to see a programme (as we have done with the old Toppy, recording manually), rather than miss it
Beyonwiz DP-P2, Epson EH-TW5500, Pioneer VSXLX52 & BDP-320, Screen Technics 100” screen, WD Live TV x2, 6Tb NAS (Linux)
Beyonwiz DP-S1, VIERA TH-42PA60A
HTC Desire (rooted) Froyo
Topfield 5000MP

tonymy01

I agree.   I setup a media centre for my PC just to have a fiddle (and watch a handful of things while web surfing etc) and find the "ooh, I have a clash, how can I overflow things" a real real pain in the backside to see the clashes (mind you, the EPG layout fullstop regardless of devices is difficult to see clashes with the vertical layout anyway).

I was only thinking this today actually:
It is about time ICE allows you to setup priorities against shows, and let you setup options for how many tuners your primary device has.   If more than tuner_number-1 clashes, overflow to device 2 (where the overflow is an option).   

(I added the overflow bit, I was only thinking today again about priorities).   Currently I have priorities and keywords setup in PerlTGD (using ice xmltv as the source) for my Topfield 5K, and it works brilliantly.   It is just a shame that I have to essentially duplicate record nearly every show, for fear that ICE may ditch something in the exclamation clash thing that isn't also setup on the 5K.   

Of course, overflow things should only be supported on interactive PVRs.

ICE have always argued that clash detection should be on the end device, but how many PVRs are doing this now, how many of any Interactive supported device is doing this?   I think it is something that can make ICE much more useful for capturing all that you want to see.
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

j s

The TV Guide and My Upcoming Shows did have an "All" option for a short while - but then it disappeared. Even when the option was there it would switch to single device view whenever I created a timer or series.

Along with the ALL option a column showing the device to be used would be my perfect solution.

Chuckles

I too find the need to constantly switch between recording devices an unpleasant intrusion (and significant time waster) when looking at the guide and checking what I have set to be recorded.

I'll add my support for the "All devices" option and the column to show which device a show is scheduled to record on.

I wouldn't be expecting any automated overflow from one device to another - such a system could be fraught with issues if not thought out properly and may actually upset some people who don't treat multiple recorders as a generic pool.

I would, however, like to see the "All devices" option together with the device indicator for scheduled recordings added to the iPhone application as well. I realise adding a column here is not so easy - either a landscape view (yes please) would have to be added, or the device indicator could be added on the second line of the guide entries, to the right of the episode title (i.e. right justified underneath the channel name).

Vortical

Quote from: Chuckles on February 16, 2010, 08:00:26 PM
I'll add my support for the "All devices" option and the column to show which device a show is scheduled to record on.
Unfortunately in doing that you will break the ability to set recordings for the same show on two different devices, unless they have multiple coloured icons for your 3 different devices.

JPP

Quote from: Vortical on February 21, 2010, 01:55:39 AM
Unfortunately in doing that you will break the ability to set recordings for the same show on two different devices, unless they have multiple coloured icons for your 3 different devices.
And for that very thing - having multiple coloured icon for each device - I have asked Daniel about a couple of times. I even set out a suitable colour scheme for all the various icons that there would be. I guess it's somewhere in the Forum - I'll see if I can dig up the thread/post.
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

Colin

FWIW, I agree totally. I've just purchased a second device and it's a total pain to work out what I'm recording. With pretty well all devices limited to 2 tuners, more and more people will be running multiple devices. IceTV could add a lot of value for not much effort.