recordings not getting scheduled

Started by tvmandan, November 10, 2011, 11:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tvmandan

Thanks Luke,
Does this mean that if I enable inband that IceTV will override the padding settings set within media center? Currently I set MC7 to start 10min before and finish 15min after. If two shows are scheduled on the same channel then I go in and manually set the hard padding on the first show to force MC7 to use two tuners.
Will the new feature in IceTV override these settings? Sorry about all the questions but I appeciate your help!
Cheers
Dan

PS Your suggestion for enabling inband worked fine.

lukem

Dan,

Sort of. What it means is that the start/end times will match more precisely the actual start/end times of the broadcast and thus should result in only minimal padding required at the end of the show. In other countries the channels are required to stick to their published schedule but here in Australia there are no such rules and thus the Networks tend to play with the times so as to keep people watching their channel, or to shoehorn in more ads..

The hardest bit for us is that MC has it's own rules as to how to merge guide listings with the inband guide and this is what I'm trying to govern in the new Beta. So what might happen in the Beta is that if a show's title differs significantly between our listing and the inband guide listing then MC will take the inband listing rather than just adjust the start/end times of ours.

I've had some success in my current development version getting around this, and consequently have been able to merge the full inband schedule with ours with good results.

tvmandan

Hi Luke. The feature sounds really good if the TV stations inband guides are accurate as far as start and end times go. Would it be easier to just find a way to set hard padding as default on all recordings set by the IceTV software? That way MC7 would be forced to use two tuners where possible.

The only times where I've ever missed the end of a TV show is when I've had two shows on the same channel recording one after the other and forgot to set hard padding manually and deleted that second recorded show before checking if it had the end of the first show at the start of the file. Having IceTV automatically set the hard padding for me would save this from happening.

If IceTV follows the start/end times perfectly would this force hard padding or at least ensure that when two shows record on the one channel back-to-back that the enitre show is contained within the one file?

Cheers
Dan

lukem

Hi Dan,

This is a separate issue.

We are first trying to address to need for any padding, then we will address the hard padding / back-to-back shows issue. These aren't our issues per say, but they effect the experience, which in turn becomes our issue.

After some consideration, I will work on the hard padding / back-to-back recordings as a matter of priority.

Dave

Luke,

Have you had any feedback on the beta?

I've had two instances that recordings start failing to schedule and I've restarted interactive and it all came good.

Dave.
Antec NSK2480B Case & PSU, Asus M4A785TD-M-EVO motherboard, AMD Phenom II 965 3.40Ghz quad core CPU, 4Gb RAM, Hauppauge HVR2200 Dual Tuner, 1Tb and 500Gb WD HDDs, Windows 10 running NextPVR

lukem

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the feedback.

Assuming this is 3.0.0.23, did this occur as a result of operating Interactive normally, or did you attempt to try out the feature where we use the present/following signal from the inband guide ("enable inband")?

Dave

Luke, I was using it normally, without enabling inband at that time.
I have only just enabled inband today.  I'll see what difference this makes to my recordings.  Should I now stop setting hard padding for each recording?
Dace.
Antec NSK2480B Case & PSU, Asus M4A785TD-M-EVO motherboard, AMD Phenom II 965 3.40Ghz quad core CPU, 4Gb RAM, Hauppauge HVR2200 Dual Tuner, 1Tb and 500Gb WD HDDs, Windows 10 running NextPVR

lukem

Dave,

It still heavily depends on the networks whether they adhere to their most recent start/stop times. I've seen the present/following times out by 2 minutes.

I discussed the padding issues with the dev team again today and we reached a consensus that we will provide a new "Padding" section in the next release. The section will contain the following options:

(1) Smart padding - will use the present/following signal + 2 minutes of hard padding
(2) Fixed amount of pre-padding (soft or hard)
(3) Fixed amount of post-padding (soft or hard)

Luke

Dave

Sounds like a good plan Luke.
Does it make sense to allow option 1 (Smart Padding) with a configurable amount of padding maybe beyond the 2 minutes?  That way it's then my problem if I set it for 2 and it is out by 3?
Just a thought.
Dave.

tvmandan

Quote from: cuddon on December 19, 2011, 07:40:21 PM
Luke,

Have you had any feedback on the beta?

I've had two instances that recordings start failing to schedule and I've restarted interactive and it all came good.

Dave.
Hi Luke,
I had a recording fail to schedule (with the exclamation mark in the guide on the IceTV website) with the latest BETA. This is without enabling the inband option. Logging onto the IceTV website and re-sending all recordings to MC7 fixed the problem but it's not an ideal solution. Does interactive ever attempt to re-schedule failed schedules?
Dan.

lukem

Hi Guys,

I'll be posting an update later today for 3.0.0.24 -
* Removed beta features for now (seems unstable)
* Added padding options
* Fixed some scheduling problems

Stay tuned.

Dave

Looks great Luke.
Will the new Beta include the inband features in the current Beta?
Dave.

lukem

Unfortunately I have to disable that feature as it's not 100% and there are situations where it can cause problems. We can't seem to get at the underlying program merging rules built-in to MC so it's something for which I'll have to find an alternative solution.

I still have to look at the startup options, and attachment size issues with the problem report feature.

Have you had any issues with the inband start/end times applying to our guide?

Dave

My bigest issue is the sync of the time on my PC.  It seems I was a few minutes different to that of the inband guide.
I did have an issue last night at midnight a recording should have started but didn't.  I am suspicious that my PC was having issues though.
I also had another issue today that Nine news (Melb) at 6:00pm Thursday failed to schedule and I had to request it be rescheduled via the web interface.

I am looking forward to the option of Hard Padding though in the next Beta.

Dave.