Humax HDR7500T Freezes with Firmware v1.08.04

Started by carlprowse, December 08, 2012, 11:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlprowse

What a good idea! Knew about them, but never thought of them for this issue. I will investigate this weekend.

Thanks for the thought Tony

carlprowse

Dave,

Thanks for the warranty info. It seems a bit extreme to return the unit when it works fine on v1.07. The only thing we appear to miss out on is iView via the portal, but we have other options for iView. We bought the Humax to serve as a PVR, and it does that job really well

We also bought the Humax because of IceTV. IceTV is a fantastic service, and particularly because of your excelent support.

Thanks again

carlprowse

After months of being uneasingly content on 1.07, I finally have revisited this issue. The release of 1.08.09, that offers improved SBS series recording, seemed a worthwhile improvement, sufficient to justify the effort.

Seeing the suggestion from Jeffoz1 in the thread http://forum.icetv.com.au/iceforum/index.php/topic,4137.msg19347.html#msg19347
I have set my Humax to a static IP and upgraded.

I still look at the powerline Ethernet adapters suggested by Swamprat96 each time I visit OfficeWorks. I may resort to those if the static IP solution doesn't do the job. My issue with those, aside from the cost, is that the powerboard at the only GPO near our Ethernet router/switch is already similar to those used in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

I will post again after a month or so to communicate the outcome.

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: carlprowse on December 01, 2013, 06:05:33 AM
I still look at the powerline Ethernet adapters suggested by Swamprat96 each time I visit OfficeWorks. I may resort to those if the static IP solution doesn't do the job. My issue with those, aside from the cost, is that the powerboard at the only GPO near our Ethernet router/switch is already similar to those used in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.
Hi Carl,

When Ethernet Over Power (aka EOP or powerline) adaptors work they are simple and reliable. But  there can be situations where they are more trouble than wireless. Sometimes they block the DHCP traffic requiring using a static IP address. Each of the pair of EOP adaptors should be on the same power circuit, and definitely on power circuits on the same phase.

When using EOP adaptors you should never plug them into a powerboard. Powerboards usually corrupt the Ethernet signals which can make the EOP network connection unreliable at best and completely stop working at worst. A powerboard that works okay with EOP adaptors now can stop the EOP adaptors working in future.

Ideally EOP adaptors should be plugged into their own power point. If it's a double power point try to leave the 2nd socket empty, or only plug in a device that is not electrically noisy. If you don't have a spare, empty, power point nearby you can run an extension cord from a distant empty power point to the EOP adaptor, or just use a longer Ethernet cable.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

carlprowse

Thanks for the advice Dave.

As with most tech stuff, the box does not necessarily tell the whole story.

Carl

swamprat96

the WD LiveWire is still working seamlessly at home. It seems to be the best of the bunch and handles DHCP just fine. I have had zero outages with it. It is on the same phase but different circuits. I average about 170MB throughput.

On a power outage it comes back with no intervention

carlprowse

No freezes in the 25 days since I set the Humax to a static IP address. The issue appears to be resolved. Thanks Jeffoz1

jeffoz1

No worries. It obviously saved you money too. I wonder how many of the ethernet over power line installs mentioned in the forum were really necessary.

swamprat96

In my case the ethernet over power was solving other issues as my wifi sux. I'll take a hard wired connection over wifi any day

jeffoz1

I have seen some people adopting my suggestion about using a fixed IP but really that is only half of the (possible) solution. You should try reserving the IP in the router also.

If you make the Humax static IP only, then whilst it is turned off or powered down, that IP can be stolen by another device in the house causing all sorts of problems when the Humax is turned back on again. I therefore suggest also reserving the IP address in the router using the Mac address of the Humax so the IP will not be allocated to another device. Now here is an interesting fact that has been picked up before. To reserve the IP address in the router, use the MAC address that comes up in the router when the Humax is turned on and not the one shown in the Humax menu under Settings. It seems they no longer match after a software upgrade.

The other thing that I have done is to turn off "Power Saving in Standby". Although my Humax powers down ("Automatic Power Down" is on) the WiFi connection is always maintained.

When I first got my Humax it was freezing all over the place but the above fixed it. Not even a glitch in 6 months. My assumption is that with this setup, the wireless connection establishes itself very quickly when turned on at the switch and is maintained throughout.