New Feature - Failed timer notifications

Started by Daniel Hall at IceTV, December 20, 2012, 03:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grampus

Just set up 3 timers on the one box for 12:00 Pm Tuesday .  Got the yellow triangle as expected on the web site, but no warning email.
BeyonWiz, T3

grampus

I've terminated 2 recordings.
1:  prior to scheduled show end, and before post padding had happened.
2:  after the show was into post padding period.
I didn't receive an email from either.
BeyonWiz, T3

lukem

Hi guys,

Thanks for your feedback.

I believe that we have now resolved the issues and look forward to hearing from you in the New Year :)

Best Regards and Happy New Year 2013!
Luke

grampus

Hi Luke,
Happy New Year.

Retested this morning.

2 different scenarios.  Overlapping timers

1:  An existing timer that had failed, and still had warning notification on website.  Rescheduled it.
2:  Set up a new set of recordings with overlapping timer.

Got one email that showed both timers had failed.
The link to manage the recordings worked great.  Opened up the timer to the options that allowed modification or deletion.

Thanks for the dedication.
BeyonWiz, T3

prl

Thanks, Luke.

I just created a recording clash with 3 simultaneous recordings, and shortly after the Beyonwiz connected to IceTV, I received an email from IceTV Support indicating that the recording timer had failed.

This is really the main thing I wanted from the feature, and thanks to the IceTV team for taking the feedback on board and getting it working.

I don't have a back-to-back timer set until tomorrow (Wed 2 Jan). I'll report how that goes.

Now I'm off to the Beyonwiz forum to grumble about the Beyonwiz firmware not providing anything for the IceTV server to put in the "Message from recorder" field. :)
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

lukem

Hi prl,

Thankyou for your kind assistance while we improve this new feature.

It looks like there's still a chance that an old failed timer will make it into the conflict list whenever a genuine conflict occurs. We're looking into this today and expect a quick resolution.

Best Regards,
Luke

prl

I had back-to-back recordings of Grimm last night (Wed 3 Jan), and no "failed timer" email, as I had hoped.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

prl

I've now had a failed timer email for a timer update that actually failed. The problem is that as far as I can tell, the update shouldn't have failed.

It's come about because of an IceTV tweak to the start time of an existing timer for Border Patrol NZ (Prime ACT, Sun 6 Jan published scheduled time 20:00). I have an existing timer for the show on the Beyonwiz set for 20:00, and the failure has occurred when IceTV tried to update the timer to 20:05.

The only other timers on the machine for 6 Jan are:
Restoration Home, ABC1 19:30-20:30
Homes under the Hammer, 7TWO 22:55-00:05

I can't see why the timer update would fail under these circumstances.

The IceTV failure message is:
            Show Name: Border Patrol NZ
              Channel: Prime Canberra
                 Time: 2013-01-06 20:05:00
             Duration: 30
         Device Label: Xerxes
          Device Type: Beyonwiz DP-Lite
Message from recorder:
         Last Updated: 2013-01-04 12:24:47

Since my padding means that I'll get the whole show anyway, I'll leave the timer as it is if anyone at IceTV wants to look into what went wrong.

Is there a problem here, Beyonwiz, IceTV or protocol that can cause updates of a timer update to fail if the old and the new timers overlap in time? I'm pretty sure it doesn't happen every time this happens, though.

Beyonwiz DP-Lite, firmware 01.07.350, ACT IceGuide.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

tonymy01

Interesting, and that also confirms what I have said in the past, that ICE doesn't send deletes for timers it incorrectly schedules (when I say incorrectly, I mean at some point after ICE sets the timer, if the schedule changes, they don't first send the delete before trying to re-set).
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

prl

Quote from: tonymy01 on January 05, 2013, 11:53:34 AM
Interesting, and that also confirms what I have said in the past, that ICE doesn't send deletes for timers it incorrectly schedules (when I say incorrectly, I mean at some point after ICE sets the timer, if the schedule changes, they don't first send the delete before trying to re-set).
Yes, except that I don't think it happens every time for these small shifts in updates.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

prl

I've had another failed timer message for the same show. The only difference seems to be the Last Updated time: 2013-01-04 12:24:47 for the previous email, 2013-01-05 11:52:36 for this more recent one.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

grampus

I've had an email to advise me that I had 2 timers fail, erroneously.
Both these are part of the same scenario.

I had a series timer setup to record Man Made Marvels on Ch 72.
During the day today, I decided that I didn't wish to record this series.
I deleted the series (series delete) from my recordings on the Ice website.
This deleted all the entries that were currently set on the website.

The Beyonwiz woke up at 7:30Pm to record a show set for that time.
I would have hoped that the timers set on the box would have been removed.
Not so.

Around 9:10 PM (the BW had been on for over 1 1/2 hours.) I decided to manually remove the 2 timers that I didn't want that were present, from  the BW.
These timers were a number of days in the future.
The following email was received.

IceTV has received a notification from your video recorder that it was unable to record one of your shows due to an error. A link to your upcoming shows page and the details of the error are provided below for your convenience.
Regards,
The IceTV team.
Time:   2013-01-07 19:30:00
Duration:   60
Device Label:   dpp2
Device Type:   Beyonwiz P1 or P2
Message from recorder:   
Last Updated:   2013-01-05 21:12:33
Time:   2013-01-08 19:30:00
Duration:   60
Device Label:   dpp2
Device Type:   Beyonwiz P1 or P2
Message from recorder:   
Last Updated:   2013-01-05 21:12:33

Of interest I guess is to note that there is no show name identified.
And that if you try to "manage the recording", it just takes you to "my week".
I guess that particular part is fair enough as there is no timer set on the website anymore.

The part that is not right is the email should not have been generated in the first place.

Whether thats the BW sending an erroneous message.
Or the Ice server is misinterpreting a valid message.  Although I cannot imagine what that might be.

BeyonWiz, T3

Paul55

Similar to Grampus,
Received one of these messages yesterday.
Have 'Revenge' set for series record and IceTV had correctly set one of my PVRs (Toppy 2400) to record tonight's episode. Yesterday morning I realised that, while it isn't a Repeat episode, it is a catch-up/summary of the previous season.
I cancelled the episode via the IceTV website and received the Notification of Failed Timer e-mail when the PVR came out of standby yesterday arvo.
The episode timer had been removed from the PVR - as I wished.
Should I have received a Failed Timer notification in this instance?

csutak40

I am confused!  I am still using an XP machine, that that may not help, but I keep getting notified about non-existent timers

Channel: GO!
Time: 2013-01-09 03:55:00
Duration: 55
Device Label: Judy Bednar
Device Type: Microsoft Windows XP MCE
Message from recorder: Couldn't find schedule entry in MCE.
Last Updated: 2013-01-08 01:47:19

I had a similar one yesterday, I noticed it very late at night, so wasn't looking properly, didn't notice that the time of the supposed recording is also shown.  I just went to the link and saw nothing, but then scrolling down, I noticed that a recording was set for Fringe (two of them, can't remember which days) which shouldn't have been there, as they were both repeats.  This happens sometimes, so I just deleted them.  The above notification could be Fringe, but the time is not correct - supposed to start at 3.40.  Actually, more confusion - looking on my widget, it has 3.55, not 3.40

So, I think the notification IS for Fringe, but there is now no timer set for it, so why the notification at all?
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

grahford

I can't believe I missed this.

Got a question.  Will this notify only if something has failed to record, or will it let me know in advance if something is probably about to fail.

That is, if I still have a hollow red donut 24 hours before the program is due to record will it notify me and hopefully I'll be able to fix it before I miss the show?

In the last 6 months my topfield has dropped the network connection a couple of times and nobody noticed till after a week had passed and the wife became aware her favourite shows had stopped being recorded.  When I went to the site the 'my week' tab was full of red donuts which hadn't been sent and turned into full circles due to my topfield being offline.