When is ICE TV going to support Media Center Properly and not treat it as a PVR?

Started by dJOS, September 21, 2010, 04:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dJOS

BSE does not give you hard padding, Media center does however BSE by Remote allows you to override the default "if possible" padding for "always record" xx mins over (aka hard padding).
My Home Theatre Project

Quad Tuner 7MC box now replaced by 2x TiVo's HD's by order of the Wife!

dJOS

My Home Theatre Project

TagUrToast

I just set ICE TV interactive up on my PC and I am really disappointed at how basic it is. NONE of the cool WMC recording functions are avaliable. I am very happy that I have not paid for this service.

dJOS

Quote from: TagUrToast on September 28, 2010, 07:17:14 PM
I just set ICE TV interactive up on my PC and I am really disappointed at how basic it is. NONE of the cool WMC recording functions are avaliable. I am very happy that I have not paid for this service.

imo the Ice Guide Data is worth the money but it does suck that for Ice Interactive 7MC is stuffed into the "dumb PVR" box with all the STB PVR's.  :(
My Home Theatre Project

TagUrToast

Quote from: dJOS on September 28, 2010, 07:34:24 PM
Quote from: TagUrToast on September 28, 2010, 07:17:14 PM

imo the Ice Guide Data is worth the money but it does suck that for Ice Interactive 7MC is stuffed into the "dumb PVR" box with all the STB PVR's.  :(
I really dont see why
Whenever I see or hear of a show that I think I might like I just set it to series record with HD priority. Im never watching Live TV so Until they fix the recording issues, I wont be buying a permanent subscription

dJOS

Quote from: TagUrToast on October 05, 2010, 03:38:13 PM
I really dont see why
Whenever I see or hear of a show that I think I might like I just set it to series record with HD priority. Im never watching Live TV so Until they fix the recording issues, I wont be buying a permanent subscription

the Ice guide data is worth the money as it allows for very accurate series recording - the OTA guide data from the stations is of very poor quality most of the time. (NEIN is the worst offender)
My Home Theatre Project

grcassidy

I've been an MCE and IceTV user for a number of years and in general the functionality from the combo is great. Except.... Soft padding. I've missed the end of a number of shows over the years (and suffered the wrath of my wife).

I can live without eye candy features (although these are nice), but functional features should be enhanced where possible as a priority. Hard padding is one of those features.

lukem

The good news is that we are all Media Center focused right now and there's lots of new developments around Media Center going on. Event accurate recordings is one of them. :)

dJOS

Too late for me, we replaced our Media Center with a pair of TiVo's - SWMBO got sick of me tinkering.  :'(
My Home Theatre Project

lukem

Our current developments address most the issues in this thread, even the pretty pictures that people like seeing... and content... much more content.

dJOS

Quote from: Luke at IceTV on December 14, 2011, 04:19:56 PM
Our current developments address most the issues in this thread, even the pretty pictures that people like seeing... and content... much more content.

Are you supporting series record properly or still creating individual programs each time a series event happens? (cause that is just daft!)
My Home Theatre Project

lukem

Give me a compelling reason why you believe 7MC can do a better job at scheduling a series or keyword search?

dJOS

Quote from: Luke at IceTV on December 14, 2011, 05:33:10 PM
Give me a compelling reason why you believe 7MC can do a better job at scheduling a series or keyword search?

My Experience was that the ICE TV method was unreliable under VistaMC and 7MC - I frequently had to purge caches etc and eventually gave up (I had over 40 Series) - like I said in my original posts, treating MC like a "normal dumb PVR" is ignoring its built in smarts and an inherently dumb decision!  ::)

You would likely also reduce traffic loads on your own servers by simply maintaining the series record list rather than creating one off shows every time - MC is smart, treating it like it's dumb is just counter intuitive! MC has a lot of power ICE are having to duplicate which is just a waste of time imo.
My Home Theatre Project

lukem

Quote from: dJOS on December 14, 2011, 05:44:19 PM
Quote from: Luke at IceTV on December 14, 2011, 05:33:10 PM

My Experience was that the ICE TV method was unreliable under VistaMC and 7MC - I frequently had to purge caches etc and eventually gave up (I had over 40 Series) - like I said in my original posts, treating MC like a "normal dumb PVR" is ignoring its built in smarts and an inherently dumb decision!  ::)

You would likely also reduce traffic loads on your own servers by simply maintaining the series record list rather than creating one off shows every time - MC is smart, treating it like it's dumb is just counter intuitive! MC has a lot of power ICE are having to duplicate which is just a waste of time imo.

So it's really a question of reliability...? which we are actively addressing and looking forward to the results.

With the current methodology of sending simple recording instructions to the box we can actually enhance the way series and keyword recordings are managed and offer it to a much larger PVR audience than just Media Center. Also note that if all your recordings are managed by Ice, and your Media Center box blows up it's a single click to 'resend all recordings' to a replacement box.

That said, we're not in the business of ignoring our customers so if the demand is there to synchronise series recordings between Media Center and Ice then so be it... it can be done. I will discuss with the team and see if/when we can fit it into our schedule.

dJOS

Quote from: Luke at IceTV on December 14, 2011, 06:56:29 PM
With the current methodology of sending simple recording instructions to the box we can actually enhance the way series and keyword recordings are managed and offer it to a much larger PVR audience than just Media Center. Also note that if all your recordings are managed by Ice, and your Media Center box blows up it's a single click to 'resend all recordings' to a replacement box.

Your current methodology is well suited to "normal" PVR's, however all the features you have can be done by MC out of the box, I'm suggesting you "actively manage" those features in 7MC rather than duplicate them by implementing silly hacks like creating & deleting single shows that are part of a series.

Instead use the ICE Integration software as a management interface that takes advantage of all the built in MC features rather than trying to make MC just another dumb PVR! That way MC ICE TV subscribers can take advantage of all the great ICE Web/iPhone/etc features and know that they will work every time because they are managing existing features instead of implementing unnecessary hacks/work arounds!
My Home Theatre Project