Author Topic: The questionable motives of Nancy Wake?  (Read 843 times)

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
The questionable motives of Nancy Wake?
« on: May 12, 2017, 04:43:36 PM »
Why does the synopsis for "Nancy Wake: Gestapo's Most Wanted" (SBS Viceland 17:30 Sun 14 May) end with "She fought to win back her country and for her husband's life?" posed as a question? As it is, Betteridge's Law would say that the answer is "No." ;) Surely it should end just with a full stop, or perhaps an exclamation mark.

The SBS online guide is the same, but it just looks wrong.

Also, IceTV says that the show is Australian, SBS says that it's from New Zealand (or UK & New Zealand, depending on which bit of their synopsis you believe).

It doesn't look like the IceTV synopsis is taken from the current SBS synopsis, because the IceTV synopsis misses out the bit in the first sentence where the SBS version says that Nancy Wake was born in New Zealand.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3 & T4 for testing

Offline Alison

• IceTV Staff
    • View Profile
Re: The questionable motives of Nancy Wake?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 06:31:59 PM »
Hi Prl,

This synopsis was the original information given to us from SBS for the first airing on 22/3/15.

I have updated the description to the current wording and changed the question mark to a full stop.
IceTV Guide Team

Offline MD

• Administrator
  • TV TV Australia MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 07:05:58 PM »
Hi prl,

It would be enormously helpful to us if you also gave SBS a poke!! We are supposed to use their EPG data 'as is" and not be their proof reader, so some jarring grammar or punctuation slips through.  Alison does her best but an extra direct jab at their sloppiness would (maybe!) be helpful.

Offline raymondjpg

• IceTV Beta
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 08:21:37 PM »
Hi prl,

It would be enormously helpful to us if you also gave SBS a poke!! We are supposed to use their EPG data 'as is" and not be their proof reader, so some jarring grammar or punctuation slips through.  Alison does her best but an extra direct jab at their sloppiness would (maybe!) be helpful.

I would just leave it as it is, having explained that SBS doesn't want you to monkey around with their EPG data, and show them up for what they are. Something else that particularly annoys me about SBS is their arrogation of copyright for subtitles that have clearly built on the foundation efforts of others, notably the BBC. I guess to be charitable it could be argued that SBS is looking after the interests of others who have done the groundbreaking work, but I'm not feeling in that sort of mood right now.
Topfield TF7100HDPVRt, Beyonwiz DP-P2, Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200, Hauppauge WinTV-MiniStick 01240, Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2)

Share via facebook Share via twitter

xx
Incorrect Image for the Daily Edition

Started by denny09 on XMLTV (General)

0 Replies
Last post July 19, 2019, 04:21:19 PM
by denny09
xx
Is the Ellen show repeat?

Started by csutak40 on IceTV EPG Content

1 Replies
Last post July 03, 2019, 09:00:18 PM