Author Topic: The Mysteries Of Laura - Sydney  (Read 1539 times)

Offline DeltaMikeCharlie

• View Profile
The Mysteries Of Laura - Sydney
« on: July 28, 2015, 10:01:03 AM »
When does this show start?

ICE currently has 20:45 whereas the FTA EPG has 20:40.  It seems that ICE has "The Hotplate" running for 01:15 and FTA has 01:10.  This seems to have shoved everything over 5 minutes until "Weeds".

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: The Mysteries Of Laura - Sydney
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 11:12:37 AM »
IceTV provides a schedule that estimates when shows will actually run, rather than when the broadcasters' schedules say they should run.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3 & T4 for testing

Offline DeltaMikeCharlie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 03:05:21 PM »
Thanks prl, after all of these years of using ICE, I had not actually realised that.

I will still apply adequate padding to my timers though!

Offline Dave at IceTV

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • IceTV Knowledgebase Articles
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 05:24:41 PM »
We still recommend 5 minutes start-padding and 10 to 25 minutes end-padding (depending on the channels and types of shows you record).
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

Offline Paul55

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 09:30:09 PM »
IceTV provides a schedule that estimates when shows will actually run, rather than when the broadcasters' schedules say they should run.

Yes unfortunately!! I've missed the start of quite a few shows over the last couple of weeks - despite having a few minutes pre-padding.
Please stop messing (guessing??!!) around with the start times. Leave it up to the end user to pad for the end of shows - we shouldn't have to compensate for IceTV's screw ups as well as the networks'!

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 11:04:05 AM »
I have 5 min pre-padding, and I haven't missed the start of anything I've recorded using IceTV in a long time.

I'm glad to see that Dave is now recommending 5 min pre-padding. I'd always thought the previous advice from IceTV for 2 (or 3?) min pre-padding was inadequate.

Offline DeltaMikeCharlie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 02:20:19 PM »
I use liberal manual padding regularly.

I have event updated TMSTimer for my Topfield PVRs to allow me to add my default padding to my timers graphically.  The default is 5-pre and 15-post.  Normally depending on the commercial network, the time of day/night and the program previous to my target, my post padding can extend for an hour or more.

We may be getting off topic, but is there not some legislation requiring truth in advertising?  The EPG is a form of advertising the networks products (the programmes that they broadcast) and are they not required to advertise honestly?

Offline nis200sx

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 03:02:29 PM »
We may be getting off topic, but is there not some legislation requiring truth in advertising?  The EPG is a form of advertising the networks products (the programmes that they broadcast) and are they not required to advertise honestly?
I believe that the networks are only required to accurately advertise their shows' (intended) start times during prime-time on the day the shows air. And this is only due to parental ratings (e.g. so kids don't see a few minutes of an adult show that started earlier than advertised). This is why, in the FTA guide, you see the networks changing their start times in ridiculous 1 minute increments during the current day.
Dave

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 04:20:59 PM »
These are the rules, such as they are:
Quote from: ACMA Electronic program guides
The EPG principles address the accuracy of program start times in the present/following section of the EPG only (see principle #2, above) they do not address the accuracy of program start times in the seven-day schedule.
Do broadcasters have to comply with the EPG principles?

No there is no formal requirement for broadcasters to comply with the EPG principles.
So, the accuracy of the 7-day schedule is not part of the EPG Principles, and even if it was, compliance is optional.

Offline Paul55

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 09:18:09 PM »
I'm glad to see that Dave is now recommending 5 min pre-padding. I'd always thought the previous advice from IceTV for 2 (or 3?) min pre-padding was inadequate.

But the 5 minutes is only required because IceTV try (usually unsuccessfully) to guess the actual start time. In my experience, the networks very rarely start before the advertised start time - there is no benefit for them to do so. Running late, on the other hand, (sort of) forces the viewer to remain on the channel to catch the end of the show.

Offline DeltaMikeCharlie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 05:10:33 PM »
Perhaps ICETV could consider a configuration option for each recorder stating which time to use.  Options could be "Scheduled Time" (broadcaster says) and "Estimated Time" (ICE guesses, the default).

There is precedence for this whereby you can select your LCNs and add a repeat flag.

Share via facebook Share via twitter

xx
Incorrect Image for the Daily Edition

Started by denny09 on XMLTV (General)

0 Replies
Last post July 19, 2019, 04:21:19 PM
by denny09
xx
Is the Ellen show repeat?

Started by csutak40 on IceTV EPG Content

1 Replies
Last post July 03, 2019, 09:00:18 PM